Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:40 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,313,080 times

Advertisements

I think my life here would have been more enjoyable had I lived near where I worked. My job was in a crappy part of town that I would never have wanted to live in though. So I have always had to deal with traffic. It gets worse by the day. Chandler is an OK area (most of it) and being able to have both a job and a home nearby is a real blessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 09:25 AM

78 posts, read 421,642 times
Definitely not Florence.

It is so far from anything, and no freeways near the place.
Let's not forget about the prison there also. Not exactly a Mayberry-type jail for vagrants...these are the hardcore criminals there.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:36 AM

68 posts, read 224,676 times
All of your comments have been VERY informative to say the least. I think what we've decided is this: we are going to rent in the Gilbert or Chandler area so that our son can finish his senior year in a desirable school. At that point we will have lived here for over a year, getting a good idea of all of the areas that we like, and don't like. We won't have to worry about moving into a school district that we don't like, because we won't have any more children at home. I am really excited to move to Arizona. If the majority of the people are as kind and helpful as you all have been, then we'll love it here.!
Thanks again.!

Old 10-05-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsoon74 View Post
Definitely not Florence.

It is so far from anything, and no freeways near the place.
Let's not forget about the prison there also. Not exactly a Mayberry-type jail for vagrants...these are the hardcore criminals there.
I saw the prison as I was searching on google. WHOA, it's a little too close for comfort.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:06 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,476,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinFromUT View Post
I saw the prison as I was searching on google. WHOA, it's a little too close for comfort.
Yeah plus that prison..augh!!!

If you are going to move to Chandler please don't send your son to Chandler High School. Make sure you are not renting in that District. Hamilton is not bad.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:23 PM

I looked into Desert Ridge HS as you suggested, and they looked good. Even though you said Highland is a overcrowded, they also got good marks too. Hubby should be heading out there soon, so I'm making him do a LOT of the foot work for me...Ü I've got a realtor doing a search for us even though I'm sure we will rent for a while. But if a house does come up in an area that we like, there is no reason not to buy. Is it true that housing prices are falling? I've seen a lot of home for sale that include in their advertisement "reduced again". Not just "reduced", but "reduced again". What can you tell me about the housing market as of lately? How about property taxes in the different cities?
Thanks.!

Old 10-05-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinFromUT View Post
I looked into Desert Ridge HS as you suggested, and they looked good. Even though you said Highland is a overcrowded, they also got good marks too. Hubby should be heading out there soon, so I'm making him do a LOT of the foot work for me...Ü I've got a realtor doing a search for us even though I'm sure we will rent for a while. But if a house does come up in an area that we like, there is no reason not to buy. Is it true that housing prices are falling? I've seen a lot of home for sale that include in their advertisement "reduced again". Not just "reduced", but "reduced again". What can you tell me about the housing market as of lately? How about property taxes in the different cities?
Thanks.!
I love Highland 2 of my kids already graduated from there and 2 more twins to go this year. I just thought you wanted a smaller school. I highly recommend Highland

Yes the market is dropping for sure. We were over inflated and now falling. I have a 4 bedroom home with a pool here in Gilbert right across from Highland HS. I paid 145,000 in 2002. My taxes are 1023.00 a year. Gilbert taxes are a little higher than Mesa but all and all the taxes are cheap here.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:07 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
I love Highland 2 of my kids already graduated from there and 2 more twins to go this year. I just thought you wanted a smaller school. I highly recommend Highland

Yes the market is dropping for sure. We were over inflated and now falling. I have a 4 bedroom home with a pool here in Gilbert right across from Highland HS. I paid 145,000 in 2002. My taxes are 1023.00 a year. Gilbert taxes are a little higher than Mesa but all and all the taxes are cheap here.
Highland High! Isn't that where Beavis and Butthead attended?

Old 10-06-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Highland High! Isn't that where Beavis and Butthead attended?

I don't know I didn't see that movie.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:55 PM

My son is actually excited about going to a larger school. He saw one of the schools had lacrosse. He's never even played.! I think just the thought of having more to do is a plus for him. We do live about 30 minutes from good shopping, movies, and good restaurants. If these kids want to go somewhere, not only do they have to save their money to go out, but to fill up their tanks too.! What did you kids like the best about Highland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area