Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 02:44 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,476,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinFromUT View Post
My son is actually excited about going to a larger school. He saw one of the schools had lacrosse. He's never even played.! I think just the thought of having more to do is a plus for him. We do live about 30 minutes from good shopping, movies, and good restaurants. If these kids want to go somewhere, not only do they have to save their money to go out, but to fill up their tanks too.! What did you kids like the best about Highland?
Lacrosse is very popular at Highland. We live about 2 miles from Harkins movies, Superstition Springs Mall. We live right across the street from Highland so when they had practice they walked back and forth. They liked it because they have me some really nice friends at this school and the liked their teachers. Overall they feel safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 11:04 PM

68 posts, read 224,676 times
Well...we found out it's a go, we are moving to Arizona. It's just so weird to up and move. We've been here in Utah for 13 years. This is the only place my son remembers. I'm not too excited about moving him during his high school years, but he seems OK about it. Now to find a temporary rental, that's in the Highland School district. That's my dilema right now. I'm sure there are plenty of rentals, I just don't want to be tied into for too long. I want to find a house to buy rather quickly. Any suggestions, once again are certainly welcome.
Also....I LOVE to scrapbook, make cards...ect...where are the craft stores...what kind of craft stores does AZ have?

Old 10-19-2006, 09:08 PM

212 posts, read 792,328 times
Hi movin!!! I recently moved back to Utah after living in Mesa,AZ for 11 years.

It is about a 10 hour drive from Provo to Mesa. I grew up in Utah county. Where are you moving from?

I also love scrapbooking. There is an awesome scrapbook store in Mesa called Scrapbooks Etc., at University and Lindsey. There are Michaels and Ben Franklin stores in the east valley. The Quilted Bear have stores in Mesa too.

I agree with the other posters about the trafic. Utah traffic is nothing like AZ. My husband commuted from Mesa to downtown Phoenix. It took at least an hour (26 miles one way). If you add the 9 hours he was at work plus the 2 hour commute, it left very little time for the family.

I think Chandler is a nice area. I have several friends that have homes there. I hope you like it.

Hey, I just wanted to give you my input. Good luck with the move!!!
LORI

Old 10-19-2006, 11:46 PM

Hi Lori,
Thanks for your reply.! I will definitely check out that scrapbooking store. That will be my only sanity.!
We currently live in Juab county, so not too far from Provo. I'm REALLY glad to hear it's only a 10 hour drive. We're leaving our two married kids behind, and my one and only granddaughter, and that will be really hard. How old are your kids? Why are you moving back? How did you adjust when you moved from Utah to Arizona? We are originally from CA, so it's not going to be a total shock, but it will be different. I know I will miss the snow (well...maybe not), but it's probably a good thing we will be moving in the fall/winter time.
Thanks SO much again for your email.!

Old 10-20-2006, 11:04 PM

212 posts, read 792,328 times
Movin,
I grew up in Payson, not to far away from Juab county(are you coming from Nephi?).

My kids are 9,6,4 and 2. We moved to Az as newlyweds for my husband to attend school. It was supposed to be a tempory placement, but ended up being 11 years. My husband lost his job last year and we decide to move as it was the only thing keeping us there. We now feel like we have come home. We dearly missed the mountains and seasons. I was tired of the long hot summers. My kids had never played in the snow until we moved back. Things like that will be an adjustment for you. AZ traffic will be a huge adjustment too. I guess if you have lived in CA, then it may be not so bad, but definatly different from small town Utah.

I hope these comments don't sound negative. Az was a great place to live and we learned so much about ourselves, other people and cultures. I feel the school system is so much better there than here. It does have it's challenges, but you never saw 28 kids in a class either, without enough books to go around.

I know there are several scrapbook store in the east valley (other than Scrapbooks ect.), I just can't remember the names. If I can think of them I will let you know.

You know what I really miss about AZ is really, really really great mexican food. I hope your a fan, because there are some good places down there.

I hope it all goes well for you!!
LORI

Old 10-21-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Well...we found out it's a go, we are moving to Arizona. It's just so weird to up and move. We've been here in Utah for 13 years. This is the only place my son remembers. I'm not too excited about moving him during his high school years, but he seems OK about it. Now to find a temporary rental, that's in the Highland School district. That's my dilema right now. I'm sure there are plenty of rentals, I just don't want to be tied into for too long. I want to find a house to buy rather quickly. Any suggestions, once again are certainly welcome.
Also....I LOVE to scrapbook, make cards...ect...where are the craft stores...what kind of craft stores does AZ have?
Subdivision in Highland are Val Vista Lakes, Superstition Highlands, Rancho Collene, Towne Meadows, Highland Corner, Carol Rae, Sonoran Ranch, Val Vista Place, Highly Groves, Highland Groves, Higley Estates,Cornerstone, Holliday Farms, Superstition Meadows, Greenfield Lakes. All good can't go wrong in any of those.

We have Michaels Craft Stores and also Joanne's. We have a new Michaels Craft store on Ray and Power plus the one at Superstition Springs. All shopping within a few miles.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:43 AM

Yes, we are coming from Nephi. It's been a great place to raise our kids. Our friend are having a hard time with us leaving, which makes it hard on us too.
Did you husband find a job here? I hope things work well for you.
I WAS excited to hear that there is a Joann's and a Michaels.! I frequent them here often.
Good luck with your move.! Thanks for all the info.!

Old 10-24-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Subdivision in Highland are Val Vista Lakes, Superstition Highlands, Rancho Collene, Towne Meadows, Highland Corner, Carol Rae, Sonoran Ranch, Val Vista Place, Highly Groves, Highland Groves, Higley Estates,Cornerstone, Holliday Farms, Superstition Meadows, Greenfield Lakes. All good can't go wrong in any of those.

We have Michaels Craft Stores and also Joanne's. We have a new Michaels Craft store on Ray and Power plus the one at Superstition Springs. All shopping within a few miles.
That is VERY helpful information.! We haven't heard much from our real estate agent, so this will help us in knowing where to go. My son is getting a little apprehensive about the move. I can't imagine moving at his age, but I think he'll do fine.
Micheals and Joanns....****AY.!!

Old 10-24-2006, 07:21 PM

Quote:
That is VERY helpful information.! We haven't heard much from our real estate agent, so this will help us in knowing where to go. My son is getting a little apprehensive about the move. I can't imagine moving at his age, but I think he'll do fine.
Micheals and Joanns....****AY.!!

We moved from Glendale AZ to Gilbert Az when my older son was a junior, so he started Highland as a junior. It's hard for my older son to meet friends, he's just not really outgoing. It's really easy for my second oldest because he's really athletic and is always on all the sports teams, he comes in like he owns the place. When we moved my older son was very depressed about it but he started meeting people very quickly. We were in a new subdivision where kids came from all over. We had a park in back of us and my son would go out and shoot hoops everyday and there he met the friends he still hangs out with and he's 23 years old. They are mormon kids and they are great friends. Looking back he can't believe how depressed he was when we moved. He's always out doing something.

Your son will be fine.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
We moved from Glendale AZ to Gilbert Az when my older son was a junior, so he started Highland as a junior. It's hard for my older son to meet friends, he's just not really outgoing. It's really easy for my second oldest because he's really athletic and is always on all the sports teams, he comes in like he owns the place. When we moved my older son was very depressed about it but he started meeting people very quickly. We were in a new subdivision where kids came from all over. We had a park in back of us and my son would go out and shoot hoops everyday and there he met the friends he still hangs out with and he's 23 years old. They are mormon kids and they are great friends. Looking back he can't believe how depressed he was when we moved. He's always out doing something.

Your son will be fine.
That is exactly what I'm hoping for. My son is the athletic one too, but coming from a small school where you can do everything, hopefully he is able to pick and choose wisely what he wants to do so he can excel. That's been our biggest choice we have to make. Rent for a while in Highland's school district and find a house in that district, or rent until he graduates, then move where ever we want to. With my husband's relocation program, we have to buy a house within a year of moving to AZ to qualify for their no closing cost program. Decisions, decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area