Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,804 times

Advertisements

Due to an employment opportunity we'll be moving to AZ. We're really miss the ocean and the lush tropical foliage. Is there any place in the area called the esat valley that might have water and foliage beside cactus? What are home prices like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 08:03 PM

132 posts, read 592,838 times
My suggestion would be to visit, so you will have an idea where you would like to live - East Valley or West Valley. Depending where you will be working the closer u r the better because there isn't a great deal of public transportation here so everyone drives

Old 04-07-2008, 11:41 PM

477 posts, read 1,582,967 times
The East Valley is a huge area. It goes on for miles. You'd have to narrow down a couple of towns if you are going to get any idea of what you are looking for. It's like asking someone the name the beach on the "North Shore"...there are a ton of them! Home prices vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. There are some very nice areas, and some not so nice. You will find that all over the Metro-Phoenix area. I'd imagine there may be some nice areas that have green grass and palm trees, maybe a small man-made lake. It would be a good idea to get an experienced realtor who specializes in the East valley. Unfortunately, alot of the scenery out here is brown, cactus, and rock. We do have a few good Hawaiian BBQ places to eat though.....Aloha!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:40 AM

264 posts, read 1,085,655 times
I think AZ is probably the exact opposite of Hawaii Nature wise.. well outside of the microclimates Hawaii has.

There's palm's but they're a much different type then those in Hawaii, and it's not doubt Hotter.

You might find a place on a golf course to compensate for the lack of green, as Golf courses do an awesome job landscaping.

I would be curious to know where the largest ammount of green environment there is in The Phoenix area? I love Hawaii and i'd move there, if I could actually afford to live there..

First lottery I win, I'm moving to Hawaii. lol

Also really happy to hear about the Hawaiian BBQ, is there L&L Drive in in Phoenix? I know in Vegas they have at least one of them.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:14 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
If you are a home owner in HI and have sold your home, buying one here should not be a problem. In my humble opinion, decent homes start in the mid $200K's. You can find nice homes under that as well. I have an idea. I will gladly trade you my home in Vistancia (AKA Vistancha) for your home in Hi. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:39 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianSam View Post
Due to an employment opportunity we'll be moving to AZ. We're really miss the ocean and the lush tropical foliage. Is there any place in the area called the esat valley that might have water and foliage beside cactus? What are home prices like?
There are several communities in the East Valley that have water and foliage besides cactus.

In Gilbert you'll find Val Vista Lakes, Stonebridge Lakes, The Islands and Wind Drift.

Chandler has The Springs, Lagaos Vistoso and Ocotillo.

Mesa has Dobson Ranch, Tempe has The Lakes, and Ahwatukee has Lakewood.

I've just hit some of the main lake areas, there are quite a few more. Several of these communites have been around for many years, so the landscaping is mature. Prices range from $250,000 - to whatever your wallet will allow!

Also, Mesa will be building a new project called the Waveyard. Hopefully it will satisfy some of our ocean/water cravings.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:32 AM

12 posts, read 52,889 times
Sam,
We just moved here from Hilo, Big Island 3 months ago. We love it here and find the desert has it's own beauty. They are completely different so don't try to find Hawaii here because you won't just enjoy what Phoenix has to offer and you will be happy here.
Lee

Old 04-10-2008, 04:09 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
There are several communities in the East Valley that have water and foliage besides cactus.

In Gilbert you'll find Val Vista Lakes, Stonebridge Lakes, The Islands and Wind Drift.

Chandler has The Springs, Lagaos Vistoso and Ocotillo.

Mesa has Dobson Ranch, Tempe has The Lakes, and Ahwatukee has Lakewood.

I've just hit some of the main lake areas, there are quite a few more. Several of these communites have been around for many years, so the landscaping is mature. Prices range from $250,000 - to whatever your wallet will allow!

Also, Mesa will be building a new project called the Waveyard. Hopefully it will satisfy some of our ocean/water cravings.
That Waveyard place sounds pretty sweet! I couldn't tell if they are renting residential units, or just selling Whatever it is, i would like to see what its going to be like, because as of now its hard to tell, just some descriptions.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:00 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
Well said.

Also to the OP, San Diego is not really that far away, if you need an oceanic fix. The "zonies" invade that city every summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLee1960 View Post
Sam,
We love it here and find the desert has it's own beauty. They are completely different so don't try to find Hawaii here because you won't just enjoy what Phoenix has to offer and you will be happy here.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,066 times
Default Buyer Beware!

Buyer Beware! Gilbert doesn't even issue a building permit unless there's an HOA, whichmeans over 90% of the homes are HOA properties. Tempe and Chandler are older communities with some non HOA neighborhoods, but all water properties are HOA. Queen Creek is mainly HOA as are the newer homes in Mesa.

HOA's were originally created to protect property values and to maintain the communities amenities. Isn't a home the single largest investment that most people make? Yet decisions concerning this investment are made by a volunteer board. A group that is unregulated, unlicensed and inexperienced about property rights, laws and management. You could find a retired Home Ec teacher or a menopausal sandwich maker making the decisions on your biggest investment. Would you want your dog groomer managing your 401K?

Another item has been added to the purchasing a new home list-check out the HOA. Google newspapers, talk to people in the community and ask your realator to disclose information regarding the HOA Board of the community you're considering. They do business in these communities they know.

Good luck, the advice you've been given is very good. We're different but good in our own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area