Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 12:05 PM

7,192 posts, read 9,263,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessPower View Post
I think its a good idea and gives the downtown area a great start toward establishing an identity. Yes people can hike to get a great view, but there is nothing wrong with more options... New York didnt say 'why build the statue of liberty when we already have the empire state building.'

As far as the look, it will take most people some getting used to with time like with anything different and new. I really like the outside the box thinking though... and remember many iconic structures were not popular at first (space needle, st louis arch, eiffel tower)
LOL. I think the Statue of Liberty was first. Whatever.

Thing is the st louis arch and eiffel tower stick out. This doesn't sound like it's going to be any taller than the chase tower a few blocks over. What's the point? Why not build an observation deck on top of the chase tower? Or a real Phoenix identity out of the Sky Harbor airspace?

I'm not sure a honey dipper is the best id for Phx. How about a giant Saguaro?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:43 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,954,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post

Thing is the st louis arch and eiffel tower stick out. This doesn't sound like it's going to be any taller than the chase tower a few blocks over. What's the point? Why not build an observation deck on top of the chase tower? Or a real Phoenix identity out of the Sky Harbor airspace?

They should the built a giant French baguette in Paris? A giant Saguaro would be lame, too obvious...it's like oh look, a giant cactus, that's original.

I agree about the height, would be good if it was taller but at the same thing I think it's also important to have it in the downtown core so you can do other things while around there, not just go visit, get back in your car and leave.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,791,633 times
I think it's a cool ultramodern design that will attract visitors. I would visit it and would go back and take guests. The all around glass aspect would probably give one a sensation of walking in the sky. Almost similar to the skywalk concept at the Grand Canyon.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:40 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
I don't think the plan to plunk it in the middle of the AZ Science Center courtyard makes sense. Also, the azcentral article on it talks about the "open air design". Really open air? I doubt it. The maintenance on the glass is another issue.

I think we should all not hold our breath waiting for this to get built.

There was a thread here years ago about whether Phoenix needed some sort of manmade landmark... I haven't been able to find it yet, if I can find it I'll link it to this discussion.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,704,782 times
I like the design; it's a nice offset to the monoliths of downtown. There are some natural and man made observation points around the area, which showcase Phoenix already, though.

One of the pictures shows a jet sailing overhead leaving contrails, but in reality, it's only slightly off of the runways at Sky Harbor, so the air traffic and the airport would add some interesting views.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:05 PM

152 posts, read 299,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post

My bad on the statue of liberty mistake lol, but you know what i mean. I do wish it was taller as well, but due to sky harbor unfortunately that cant be done, that doesnt mean they should just scrap the idea. This would at least be the 2nd tallest structure downtown... the space needle isnt the tallest in Seattle (6th tallest), same with Reunion tower in Dallas (16th tallest)

Old 12-21-2012, 02:36 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,589 times
It's not that great looking or that horrifying, but as an attraction it might work. As long as it's not some kind of "public debt/private profit" deal, go for it.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:11 PM

603 posts, read 947,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
A giant Saguaro would be lame, too obvious...it's like oh look, a giant cactus, that's original.
You know the green & blue spire at the corner of Scottsdale Rd & FLW Blvd?
It's a cactus....

It was also originally conceived as a part of the Arizona State Capitol that FLW designed (but never built).
This is what it would have looked like.

Arizona State Capital: Student Animation - YouTube

Phoenix could really use some color to break up all the brown hills & gray-scale concrete. I'm all for a nice landmark with an observation deck downtown. I just don't think a big Q-Tip would be a good iconic design for Phoenix.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't think the plan to plunk it in the middle of the AZ Science Center courtyard makes sense. Also, the azcentral article on it talks about the "open air design". Really open air? I doubt it. The maintenance on the glass is another issue.

I think we should all not hold our breath waiting for this to get built.

There was a thread here years ago about whether Phoenix needed some sort of manmade landmark... I haven't been able to find it yet, if I can find it I'll link it to this discussion.
You know, as much as I want to see something like this in downtown Phoenix, I'm afraid I have to agree with much of what you're saying. Aside from the paltry height of this thing, the whole project sounds rushed ... almost like a last minute decision to get it built before the 2015 Super Bowl. Also, the location doesn't make much sense. I don't see the logic of using the courtyard to the Science Center as a place to build this thing. Why not convert a vacant lot, or a dilapidated building or parking lot into something worthwhile like this?

I wouldn't even count on this getting built. Experience has shown that a great deal of highrise projects that were planned for the downtown area over the years have been scrapped for one reason or the other ... typically, the economy, NIMBYs, corrupt developer, lawsuits, or whatever have killed many of these developments.

Also, I was one of the posters a few years back who suggested a landmark for downtown Phoenix. My idea was to build a 1,000 foot replica of the Phoenix Bird complete with bars, shops, restaurants, and an observation deck. Of course, something like that would never be built downtown because of the stupid height restrictions. A 400 foot observation tower like this proposal wouldn't add much value to the downtown landscape. If the FAA would quit meddling, just maybe there would be taller buildings in Phoenix which would immensely improve the skyline.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:44 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,002,729 times
I'd like to see this moved farther north along central. It would act as a unifier between the midtown and downtown skylines, if placed correctly. A location near Hance Park and the Library would be a pretty good spot. But I doubt building over the tunnel would be structurally possible.. though they did it with the library, so who knows. Height limits are taller along there as well, are they not?

Could be interesting. I just wish the designers would put some thought into it, instead of rushing out a poorly executed plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area