Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,547,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefani W View Post
My neighbour has a "reel" mower, uses it all the time, and loves all the features that you initially posted. One thing though, he's in his twenties and is full of energy. So the work-out he's getting isn't overly taxing; however, a friend had a heart-attack using his reel mower as he tried to cut very thick, long grass and it was near-impossible without really pushing hard. So be aware of the need to cut the grass regularly. Only cut if the grass is dry, as in the afternoon, and keep the reel properly lubricated, cleaned, and serviced. Have a back-up plan: if you turn your back and the grass gets outta hand, call someone to cut it rather than kill yourself pushing.

PS. I have a vintage cylinder cutter with a hood and rear grass catcher from the interwar years. It still works!! Something to be said for manual implements - they're quiet, they're free to operate, they don't cost a lost to buy, they don't take up a lot of space, they have an esthetic appeal, and they give a good bit of exercise, fresh air, and sunshine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
yes, I meant reel mower. I could use the workout, and enjoy doing yardwork. If I miss a few weeks, I can always pay the one time $50 fee to have them mow it. I have a gas blower so that would take care of leaves in the rock. Not sure what kind of grass I have, it looks the same as everyone elses. We also have winter lawn put in. I have a string trimmer for the edges already, so may give it a shot!
I agree with everything Stefani said!

I used a reel mower for ten years (and I was 35-45 years old) on the small grassy area in my back yard.

We had an above ground pool at our home in west Phoenix. The grass was watered daily, from the pool splash overs and me going out and manually watering it.

Every other night (in the summer) I would walk the 20 or so lines it took to mow. I edged with an electric edger. If the grass got too long for the mower, I would use the edger and do a bit at a time (but get it done in one night) and then finish it with the mower for even blades of grass. I only let it get that long a couple of times!

My grass was never beautiful, but it was always green in the summer.

It helped to have the pool to jump into.

Don't forget to drink lots of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 AM

7,247 posts, read 9,340,314 times
I've mowed with a electric, gas and reel mowers. If you're looking for exercise the reel mower does it. I find it easier to use the electric even with the hassle of moving the cord around. Other things I'd rather do. Better (more fun) ways for me to get exercise.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:02 PM

246 posts, read 403,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
I've mowed with a electric, gas and reel mowers. If you're looking for exercise the reel mower does it. I find it easier to use the electric even with the hassle of moving the cord around. Other things I'd rather do. Better (more fun) ways for me to get exercise.
I also use a corded electric mower. No carburator to get clogged or anything like the gas ones. Just plug it in and go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area