Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 08:16 PM

563 posts, read 1,790,390 times

Advertisements

I'm not finding it worth it to pay someone $50 a visit to mow/edge my lawn, at the same time, not sure if buying a lawn mower is worth it either, my lawn isn't that big. Thinking of getting a push mower instead, as they are cheaper, take up less garage space, and don't pollute the air . Of course I could get an electric one, or even a battery charged on, but don't want to deal with a cord or battery replacements.

any cons for getting a push mower? I imagine grass clippings will get mulched? I don't see many folks around here with push mowers, from what I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,738,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
I don't see many folks around here with push mowers, from what I can tell.
Probably has to do with the idea of pushing anything between June and October, unless of course, you used it at night or in the very early AM.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:35 PM

19,456 posts, read 27,916,217 times
The last time I used a push mower was in the backyard of my first home, a patio home with a patch of grass about 8 ft by 10 ft.

I called the rock man about 4 weeks later. Told the dog to get used to desert landscaping and tried to sell that push mower at my next yard sale. Couldn't give the darn thing away!

Old 03-16-2013, 09:51 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,609,788 times
What's the size of your yard? What kind of grass? Push mower might not cut it (literally).

Old 03-16-2013, 10:25 PM

640 posts, read 960,038 times
By push mower, I think you are referring to a reel mower, one without an engine? I have what I would call a push mower as it requires me to push it, not self propelled but does have a gas engine. About $150 at Sears. My yard is about 950 sq ft so pretty small, takes about 15 minutes to mow. No problem in the summer. Just remember your landscaper is probably doing other things as well, like cleaning up leaves, etc. Cleaning up the leaves that end up in my rocks takes longer than mowing the grass.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:51 PM

654 posts, read 1,498,458 times
I use one up north and I have a few thousand sq ft of lawn. Best thing is no gas required, just a little blade adjustment once in a while. Since buying property in PHX though I have now decided to rip out all my lawn and go gravel like the desert. I really hate grass.

Reel mower is the correct term as a push mower describes any mower you don't ride on.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:10 AM

10 posts, read 30,696 times
My neighbour has a "reel" mower, uses it all the time, and loves all the features that you initially posted. One thing though, he's in his twenties and is full of energy. So the work-out he's getting isn't overly taxing; however, a friend had a heart-attack using his reel mower as he tried to cut very thick, long grass and it was near-impossible without really pushing hard. So be aware of the need to cut the grass regularly. Only cut if the grass is dry, as in the afternoon, and keep the reel properly lubricated, cleaned, and serviced. Have a back-up plan: if you turn your back and the grass gets outta hand, call someone to cut it rather than kill yourself pushing.

PS. I have a vintage cylinder cutter with a hood and rear grass catcher from the interwar years. It still works!! Something to be said for manual implements - they're quiet, they're free to operate, they don't cost a lost to buy, they don't take up a lot of space, they have an esthetic appeal, and they give a good bit of exercise, fresh air, and sunshine!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:44 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,135,973 times
AZ has grass?! J/K

Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 AM

681 posts, read 1,562,812 times
My husband bought one at a a yard sale a year ago... it looked almost new (maybe it was yours JkGourmet - LOL)... doesn't work at all on the bermuda grass in our yard. I'm not sure why... maybe it just needs to be sharpened/adjusted?

Anyhow - we now just cut the grass with a string trimmer - works great. Our grass patch is approx. 20 ft x 10 ft.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:43 AM

563 posts, read 1,790,390 times
yes, I meant reel mower. I could use the workout, and enjoy doing yardwork. If I miss a few weeks, I can always pay the one time $50 fee to have them mow it. I have a gas blower so that would take care of leaves in the rock. Not sure what kind of grass I have, it looks the same as everyone elses. We also have winter lawn put in. I have a string trimmer for the edges already, so may give it a shot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area