Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:39 AM

86 posts, read 237,567 times

Advertisements

Seeing the insane violence that seems to be taking over Mexico due to the drug war that is going on has this violence spilled over to Phoenix Area over the past few years.From the outside looking in it just seems the government could care less about Arizona's problems with the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 AM

357 posts, read 713,920 times
Is that a question? The Mexican drug war has had no impact on my life except for a few friends not wanting to go to Rocky Point anymore.

I suppose in Southern Arizona people very close to the border might be affected but the amount of illegals crossing the border has actually decreased over the past few years due to the bad economy.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 AM

3,826 posts, read 9,514,011 times
My brother is a sheriff's deputy down in Tucson and told me that most of the traffic from south of the border high tails it up to Phoenix. So he rarely sees a drug murder, beheading or anything else like that in southern Arizona.

As long as you are not actively involved in the drug trade and/or smuggling humans the chances of being near the violence of the trades is slim to none.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,259,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
My brother is a sheriff's deputy down in Tucson and told me that most of the traffic from south of the border high tails it up to Phoenix. So he rarely sees a drug murder, beheading or anything else like that in southern Arizona.

As long as you are not actively involved in the drug trade and/or smuggling humans the chances of being near the violence of the trades is slim to none.
Lol, we don't see drug murders and beheading's in Phoenix either. Is there a drug related murder once in awhile, I'm sure there is but not anything like the "Mexican drug war" stuff the OP is referring to.

I wonder where they are seeing all this "violence spilling over"? I live here and don't see or know about it.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:27 AM

710 posts, read 3,397,495 times
Nothing like Mexico, but here's a fellow who lost his head in Chandler a while ago.

Chandler beheading tied to Mexican drug cartel

by Laurie Merrill - Mar. 2, 2011 04:53 PM
The Arizona Republic

The man whose decapitated body was found in a Chandler apartment was killed in retaliation for stealing 400 pounds of marijuana from a Mexican drug trafficking organization, a police report reveals.

The Chandler police report also reveals that the victim believed in Santa Muerte, a Mexican saint of death, and had bragged to his companions shortly before his beheading that he had died and come back to life five times and could kill with a look.

The body of Martin Alejandro Cota Monroy, 38, commonly known as "Jando," was found on the living room floor of 300 W. Fairview St. on Oct. 9. His head was found on the floor several feet away.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/c...#ixzz2OBk8KCIb

Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 AM

357 posts, read 713,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
Nothing like Mexico, but here's a fellow who lost his head in Chandler a while ago.

Chandler beheading tied to Mexican drug cartel

by Laurie Merrill - Mar. 2, 2011 04:53 PM
The Arizona Republic

The man whose decapitated body was found in a Chandler apartment was killed in retaliation for stealing 400 pounds of marijuana from a Mexican drug trafficking organization, a police report reveals.

The Chandler police report also reveals that the victim believed in Santa Muerte, a Mexican saint of death, and had bragged to his companions shortly before his beheading that he had died and come back to life five times and could kill with a look.

The body of Martin Alejandro Cota Monroy, 38, commonly known as "Jando," was found on the living room floor of 300 W. Fairview St. on Oct. 9. His head was found on the floor several feet away.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/c...#ixzz2OBk8KCIb
About right. Stealing 400 pounds of marijuana from drug dealers sounds like a bad plan to me. I don't know from experience, but I'm guessing drug dealers aren't the most forgiving, peaceful people. SMH

Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 AM

606 posts, read 1,610,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeanajessse View Post
...the insane violence that seems to be taking over Mexico due to the drug war that is going on has this violence spilled over to Phoenix Area over the past few years[?]
No, it has not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
Nothing like Mexico, but here's a fellow who lost his head in Chandler a while ago....
You right, that incident is nothing like Mexico, nor is it an example of a "Drug War". In Mexico there is currently an actual drug war going on between various Cartels, in which they are fighting for the control of specific territories. Just as an example, two of the worst cities in Mexico in which there are territory disputes/battles on a daily basis are Monclova and Torreon (both in Coahuila, MX). In both these cities, beheadings are a daily occurrence, many times with the heads put on display or thrown on the street in front of police stations or government buildings just to show the people who really runs the city. Also it is very common that both men and women are tortured then killed, then their disfigured bodies (sometimes naked) are hung or suspended from a bridge/overpass with a busy street or intersection below. Of course, no one ever sees anything , and then the streets are not even shut down, the public continue making their daily commutes both above and below the dangling corpses, sometimes when traffic is backed up enough they have time to read the narco-mensajes that will either be carved directly into the flesh of the bodies or on an accompanying sign...

This is a daily occurrence in many cities in Mexico the violence is a result of Cartel vs Cartel violence (the worst right now is the Cartel de Sinaloa fighting Los Zetas). Theses Carteles are basically armies, and have much more power than the Mexican Government. It is also common knowledge that a huge percentage of both Municipal and Federal Police are actually on the payroll of one Cartel or another, therefore the people cannot go to the police for help or protection, because that information will go directly back to the Cartel with the quickness.

Now compare all of that with one guy getting his head chopped off in Chandler. There is absolutely no comparison. The Chandler murder was an isolated incident which was brought on by the victim because he associated himself with a Mexican Cartel and then stole their product. We have no territory disputes here between Mexican Carteles, as they have no territory here. Furthermore, we have none of any of the other issues I mentioned that currently plague Mexico with violence.

So the answer to the OP's original question is: no. We have absolutely no presence of the Mexican Drug War here in Arizona.

EDIT: http://www.blogdelnarco.com/ is an interesting page which documents daily Narco-Violence incidents in Mexico. The page is in Spanish so if you can't read it you could easily translate it with google-translate or you could just look at the pics. Looking at that page for 30 seconds will show you what real Drug War carnage looks like. I'll tell you this much: it sure as he|l don't look like Phoenix!

Last edited by El_Waiboi; 03-21-2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 PM

86 posts, read 237,567 times
I am glad to hear such positive comments other than isolated incident in Chandler.Possibly moving my family within two years from New york and when i mention Phoenix to some people they see whats happening in Mexico affecting the Phoenix area since it is so close to border.We are taking our third trip to Phoenix this summer.We had come across a couple of areas in our travels the last two times out that looked a little too seedy for our liking.But over all we definetly can find more positives than negatives as far as area.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:33 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,906,134 times
Agree with most every other post, however for the state as a whole I'd say the only thing noticeable things would be that way less people do day trips to Mexico than say 10 years ago, and the state park service warns against camping in a lot of places near the border.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM

582 posts, read 1,485,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeanajessse View Post
Seeing the insane violence that seems to be taking over Mexico due to the drug war that is going on has this violence spilled over to Phoenix Area over the past few years.From the outside looking in it just seems the government could care less about Arizona's problems with the border.
This is an example of what the conservative media outlets want you to believe. Arizona is only 1 of 4 states that borders Mexico. We are undergoing demographic changes here which threaten the political future of conservatives in power, and these "fear mongering" stories are ginned up to get votes from conservative voters. We are the only state bordering Mexico where white people are still the majority, and that is only by 7%.

The "horror stories" you hear about on tv all involve "targeted" crimes. Targeted meaning you cross me and I'll hurt you. I'm not going to hurt other people I don't have a beef with.

They want you to fall right in the trap of believing the fear mongering, and thinking the White House is making Arizona unsafe.

This White House has been a HUGE supporter of the civil rights fight here, and has actually deported more illegal people than the prior administration. They have fought back HARD against Latino discrimination engaged in by conservative politicians here.

The problem here is an ideological one, Arizona political conservatism versus progressivism and civil rights.

You have NOTHING to fear here. No more than any other major city. I would fact check what you read and hear regarding this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area