Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:33 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,228,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Why couldn't we have a major theme park here? Yes, it gets too hot in the summer months to make it comfortable/usable, but what about the other 8 months of the year? Obviously the business case isn't there, otherwise we'd have one (or more) by now, but I'm getting tired of driving to LA for a decent park for our kids.
A good misting system and some shaded areas would be all that is needed. Even in a 100+ degree day, the breezes generated by riding things like a roller coaster would keep it comfortable for a large percentage of people. Texas has brutal summers too and they're a lot more humid and uncomfortable than ours, (although their summers seem much shorter to me); both of the Six Flags there, (Arlington and San Antonio), seem to do very well in the summer regardless.

Expansion of the zoo is a big plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
A good misting system and some shaded areas would be all that is needed. Even in a 100+ degree day, the breezes generated by riding things like a roller coaster would keep it comfortable for a large percentage of people. Texas has brutal summers too and they're a lot more humid and uncomfortable than ours, (although their summers seem much shorter to me); both of the Six Flags there, (Arlington and San Antonio), seem to do very well in the summer regardless.

Expansion of the zoo is a big plus.
And fans! Evaporative cooling is one of the fastest ways to keep the body cool and the one recommended in cases of hyperthermia. Those Texas parks were built over 30 years ago. A new park would be able to exploit new technology and better design today. l

Old 03-23-2013, 03:15 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,228,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
And fans! Evaporative cooling is one of the fastest ways to keep the body cool and the one recommended in cases of hyperthermia. Those Texas parks were built over 30 years ago. A new park would be able to exploit new technology and better design today. l
Yes, indeed. How did I forget to mention fans?

Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,729,479 times
I hope WWZ&A is headed toward being more like the San Diego Zoo than an amusement park.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:14 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,604,253 times
Anyone remember Legend City??

Old 03-24-2013, 09:13 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,767,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Anyone remember Legend City??
Yup went there quite a bit as a kid even got a ladmo bag there at one of their shows there.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
There's already yet another theme park thread started. Please don't turn this into another one. Thank you.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:59 PM

603 posts, read 946,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
I hope WWZ&A is headed toward being more like the San Diego Zoo than an amusement park.
I'm hoping with the expansion, that it becomes a little more like San Diego Zoo's Safari Park. That place is impressive.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,729,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
I'm hoping with the expansion, that it becomes a little more like San Diego Zoo's Safari Park. That place is impressive.
Absolutely, either one is fine with me. As long as it doesn't become some seedy dump where old animals go to die or some crappy carny like dump.

I just had family with a 2 and 5 year old in town. WWZ&A was perfect. Phoenix zoo was beautiful but big and the people at the gate screaming at us to take our picture can set a bad mood.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 AM

603 posts, read 946,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Absolutely, either one is fine with me. As long as it doesn't become some seedy dump where old animals go to die or some crappy carny like dump.

I just had family with a 2 and 5 year old in town. WWZ&A was perfect. Phoenix zoo was beautiful but big and the people at the gate screaming at us to take our picture can set a bad mood.
One of the things I like about WWZ is the sheer number of animals they have to see. I noticed that some of the animals there were older "retirees" from other zoos, but their nursery seems to be having some success. Phoenix Zoo is definitely prettier, but I feel like they have less to see.

I love San Diego Zoo, but one thing that bugs me about them is they don't usually have much information on display about most of the animals at their exhibits. It's usually just a sign with a name, scientific name, and a map of their natural territory. Their Safari Park is a little different. They have tons of information at each of their exhibits and lots of volunteers walking around giving talks. They also have a lot of neat additional tours, and even overnight programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area