Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

More exciting news for the Valley. Wildlife World Zoo is going double in size and rival Phoenix Zoo in terms of size and amenities. It's like having two large zoos in this city which will provide even more amenities for families here.

"Now, the 65-acre Wildlife World Zoo and Aquarium, near Loop 303 and Northern Avenue, is poised to
nearly double in size to 115 acres, and plans to add two exhibits over the next 21/2 years.
Two themed projects will fill part of the new land. The first phase of Safari Park, an African animal exhibit, could open to visitors near the end of the year. American Adventure, which will feature species native to the Americas, is expected to be complete in 2 1/2 years.Safari Park’s first phase is a $2 million construction project covering 15 acres. It includes a cafe, restrooms, block walls, fences and landscaping. The next 10 acres will be completed at a later date. Safari Park is designed to include a rubber-tire-tram ride that will hold about 35 people and will travel around the outside of the exhibit.Visitors can stroll along walking paths looking at animals, which will include lions, cheetahs, baboons, African wild dogs, monkeys, warthogs, red river hogs and large birds such as ostriches."

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...expansion.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 03:51 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
The owner struck gold with the 303 freeway going right by the zoo.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The owner struck gold with the 303 freeway going right by the zoo.
It's good for the Valley in general. It's just another option for families. We complain about lacking theme parks, but it seems like we have some nice things on the horizon. Hopefully that will attract even more amenities.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:29 PM

603 posts, read 946,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's good for the Valley in general. It's just another option for families. We complain about lacking theme parks, but it seems like we have some nice things on the horizon. Hopefully that will attract even more amenities.
See, I love a good roller coaster, but it doesn't make much sense to have theme parks here.

But things like this are perfect for Phoenix. I heard on the radio this morning that WWZ just added some California Sea Lions for a new exhibit. This is pretty cool. I wanted a better zoo and a big aquarium, and now it looks like I'm getting both. I guess I should start hoping for a great planetarium and big improvements to the science center (maybe an air & space museum?).

They've also got a Holocaust museum in the planning stages for Chandler. I know we are also courting a few more MLB teams to bring their spring training here. The Nationals, Astros, & Mets might be in play, possibly the Tigers too. I only wish they would try to find some way to get these attractions a little closer together.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:37 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,646 times
Why couldn't we have a major theme park here? Yes, it gets too hot in the summer months to make it comfortable/usable, but what about the other 8 months of the year? Obviously the business case isn't there, otherwise we'd have one (or more) by now, but I'm getting tired of driving to LA for a decent park for our kids.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 PM

603 posts, read 946,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Why couldn't we have a major theme park here? Yes, it gets too hot in the summer months to make it comfortable/usable, but what about the other 8 months of the year? Obviously the business case isn't there, otherwise we'd have one (or more) by now, but I'm getting tired of driving to LA for a decent park for our kids.
You started with a question and then fully answered it.

Quote:
Too hot in the summer.
Other 8 months of the year (when kids are in school).
Business case isn't there.
LA for decent parks.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Hey Knotts Berry farm in CA started this way, mom & pop berry farm then they added a western theme free to the public, then expansion and then expansion and now a full fledged theme park near a major highway and the rest is history.
Wildlife Zoo could be this in 20-25 years or maybe sooner.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 AM

Theme parks with roller coasters can be done here despite the weather concerns. People think it's the heat that is the issue and that's not it at all. The issue isn't so much the weather but the lack of money. A major theme park with rides costs a lot of money and there aren't many organizations who are capable of installing a theme park. Six Flags had to declare bankruptcy so Six Flags isn't building any more theme parks in the near future. Disney is obviously not going to build anything here. So who is going to build it? There was a plan called Decades Theme Park which was to be built in Eloy between Tucson and Phoenix. It was a legitimate plan but the timing was horrible because the recession hit and both Decades and Waveyard fell through. I think we will ultimately see a theme park built here. Nearly every major city has a theme park including smaller cities like Oklahoma City and Kansas City. The population is too large so the opportunity is clearly here. It's just going to take time. The economy is improving but we have not completely recovered from the recession. And most theme park developers don't compete with Disney. That's not the target market they are focusing at. People will always go to Disney but contrary to popular opinion here, people will ALSO go to their local theme park out of convenience, they always do.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:57 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Yep. It's all about the money and who will fork out the initial capital investment. A HUGE risk.

We can't blame it on the weather....solid case:

Cedar Point Amusement Park on Lake Erie in Sandusky, Ohio.

They're only open during the summer and they make an absolute killing.

Prob'ly THE best roller coaster park in the country......

Too bad Sea World couldn't cut it though.......(Aurora, OH)

Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,494 times
We'll see a new theme park.. Eventually. And from what I hear from my sources, WWZ is probably our most hopeful candidate. Castles N Coasters, summer weather or not, does very well. I would love if they would expand, but that probably won't happen.

The weather isn't an issue. If Abu Dhabi can have a successful theme park, so can Phoenix.

That said, I'm glad there are some new expansions coming to the zoo.. and I hope they snatch up all of the land around them while they still can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area