Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:24 AM

428 posts, read 5,886,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
Well that doesn't sound like very good planning at all! They'll regret their decision eventually.
To each their own. It see no benefit to the residents of the north parts by bringing that up scottsdale road. I read that they wanted to have it travel in the median of scottsdale rd up to fashion square, and future plans would have been to extend it further north. Scottsdale road is one of the nicest roads with all it's landscape in the median, to tear that all up for a lightrail would be just wrong. It's function would seem largely for shuttling ASU students to the nightlife in scottsdale. If they ever did plan to extend it further north from fashion square, do you think the mansions in PV that back to scottsdale rd would want a rail behind their house? Hell NO!

If the city had funds for an above ground train along or near the 101 (probably never will happen), then yeah that would be fantastic. Since this isn't a concrete jungle like NYC/ Chicago, the main function for a rail in scottsdale should be to get to the residents of THIS city to the airport, downtown phoenix, jobbing.com arena, and ASU. I would think along the 101 to get to ASU, and along Shea to the 51 then along the 51 to reach everywhere else would be most convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 04:33 AM

216 posts, read 590,794 times
Keep in mind, however, that Scottsdale covers a large north to south land area, and has a population of over 250,000 ... so despite its reputation of being snooty, high priced, and superficial, it is actually quite diverse. You'll find some pretty modest middle class neighborhoods and even some working class areas in south Scottsdale. It all depends on your personal tastes & priorities, so chances are that Scottsdale has something you might be looking for.

Very well-said, Valley Native. We are very middle income and chose Scottsdale because it's absolutely beautiful and near everything. I'm sure there are faux-rich (everywhere) and those that 'need' to have an upper class city in their addy but boy, am I tired of people lumping us all into that prejudice.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM

371 posts, read 1,009,863 times
Lived in NE Scottsdale for many years and yes, Scottsdale has a lot of cheaply built look alike stucco boxes like the rest of the Valley but our NE Scottsdale home/neighborhood homes were differentiated a bit looks wise plus ours backed up to a mountain preserve and we had great views as well as easy access to open desert reservation land...with easy access to Fountain Hills, golf and cooler climes of Payson...and a feeling of being 'out there' a bit but still close to everything...to a certain extent you also 'pay' for the neighbors you have and ours were pretty good in Scottsdale...the snob aspect is overplayed too as we never saw much of that.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM

570 posts, read 1,004,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
There is a cost associated with the Scottsdale name, for sure. Consider the Scottsdale 85254 zip code, which is actually in the City of Phoenix. A house on the "Scottsdale" side of Tatum Boulevard will cost more than the identical house on the Phoenix side. Some people ARE attracted by the name. I know plenty of folks who live in 85254 who tell people that they live in Scottsdale, when actually they don't.
Shhh! You let the cat out of the bag! That's what I would have suggested to the OP. Find a place with a Scottsdale zip code in the city of Phoenix. The wife will be happy, and you will save money.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:13 PM

64 posts, read 134,371 times
Can any of you recommend a nice and safe (thats not full of crazy ASU parties) Scottsdale apartment complex that has built in washers/dryers for under $1000 a month (studio or 1 bedroom) thats with in walking distance to interesting things? Like a place you've lived before and really liked?

Last edited by thenicepartsoflife; 03-27-2013 at 02:28 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 02:44 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,724,465 times
Scottsdale isn't any nicer. IMO, all the really beautiful homes are in Phoenix on the south and north sides of Camelback Mountain.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:55 PM

975 posts, read 1,408,285 times
What Scottsdale has going for it versus the rest of the valley is that it really doesn't have any "bad" parts of town. Ten years ago I would say stay away from the area between Thomas and the Tempe border, but I truly believe that it is an up and coming area. The problem with that area is that the closer to ASU you get, the more likely you are to have college students as neighbors. Also, for as large as the city is (and for as many Walmarts there are in Arizona) there are only 2 Walmarts in Scottsdale (technically only one, but the other one is on the reservation directly across the street from the city). In comparison, there are 2 Whole Foods (although one is on the Phoenix side of the border); 6 AJ's Fine Foods, 2 Sprouts, and 2 Trader Joe's locations.

For my money, I'd rather live in Ahwatukee, Arcadia, or the Paradise Valley area of Phoenix.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:10 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,303,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
For my money, I'd rather live in Ahwatukee, Arcadia, or the Paradise Valley area of Phoenix.
I definitely agree about Arcadia ... it's one of the best locations in all of Phoenix in my opinion. No cookie cutter look alike stucco boxes with gravel yards, but lots of 1950s styled custom, quality built homes with large grass yards and plenty of shade. That's how the old Phoenix used to be: charming and green. Arcadia is pretty expensive mostly because of its location. It's also reasonably close to downtown Phoenix and all the nightlife in Scottsdale, so the commute time is minimal compared to other parts of the city.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:19 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,938,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
What Scottsdale has going for it versus the rest of the valley is that it really doesn't have any "bad" parts of town. Ten years ago I would say stay away from the area between Thomas and the Tempe border, but I truly believe that it is an up and coming area. The problem with that area is that the closer to ASU you get, the more likely you are to have college students as neighbors. Also, for as large as the city is (and for as many Walmarts there are in Arizona) there are only 2 Walmarts in Scottsdale (technically only one, but the other one is on the reservation directly across the street from the city). In comparison, there are 2 Whole Foods (although one is on the Phoenix side of the border); 6 AJ's Fine Foods, 2 Sprouts, and 2 Trader Joe's locations.

The barrio between Thomas and Osborn along 68th St ain't real good; I lived near there before heading to Bullhead City.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,580,103 times
If you were contemplating moving to the greater Phoenix area, and had a budget of $750-$1,000 for a 1-BR apartment, and were a single baby-boomer, what would be your top three choices to call home?

I've read lots of great things about Chandler & Gilbert, whereas Mesa seems to be hot-or-miss (Fiesta Mall area in particular0, so any and all opinions would be appreciated.

Scottsdale would appear to be a given, but what can you get in Scottsdale for those prices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area