Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:00 PM

428 posts, read 5,886,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
What's with everyone mentioning Mayo Clinic being in Scottsdale? I believe there is a branch on Shea that is in Scottsdale, but the large main campus is solidly in Phoenix.
You're right, I've keep forgetting that is Phoenix. IMO, north Phoenix is just as nice as Scottsdale and close enough drive to north Scottsdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 12:08 AM

28 posts, read 84,952 times
My wife and I just bought in Scottsdale north of Shea and I would say we are least superficial people we know. I'm still amazed we passed the test to get into Scottsdale.

I drive a 20 year old car and my wife a 14 year old car. They'll look out of place on the new street but since i've never been one to keep up with the Joneses they'll just have to get over it or move. I'm a damn good neighbor though so if you can get along with me I'll get along with you.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:37 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,683,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawagonbus View Post
My wife and I just bought in Scottsdale north of Shea and I would say we are least superficial people we know. I'm still amazed we passed the test to get into Scottsdale.

I drive a 20 year old car and my wife a 14 year old car. They'll look out of place on the new street but since i've never been one to keep up with the Joneses they'll just have to get over it or move. I'm a damn good neighbor though so if you can get along with me I'll get along with you.
You're just like me and most of my neighbors in Scottsdale. The Beverly Hills of AZ reputation is nowhere near reality. The only people that believe that are those that have never spent time here. Good jobs and attractiveness don't always equal pretension.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:58 PM

555 posts, read 864,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You're just like me and most of my neighbors in Scottsdale. The Beverly Hills of AZ reputation is nowhere near reality. The only people that believe that are those that have never spent time here. Good jobs and attractiveness don't always equal pretension.

well stated

Old 04-06-2013, 04:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,004,843 times
Quote:
As a frequent visitor to your lovely region, I wholeheartedly agree.

Friendly people; the many times I have asked for info getting around (hey, it's a big land mass) I have yet to have been met with a single person unwilling to explain it to me in detail.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,303,708 times
Quote:
Very true. Scottsdale is so large area wise (and population wise for that matter) that it couldn't possibly cater to an exclusively wealthy population. It does tend to be on the upper side of the wealth scale in general, but not anywhere close to being the "Beverly Hills of Phoenix". That label would fit the Biltmore area much more than Scottsdale would.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,297,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbestoriginator View Post
just because you can't afford the maserati or to sit at the W bar ordering fine martinis, lets not criticise someone that can.
So you have to own a home in Scottsdale to be able to afford a Maserati? LOL, I'll tell that to my next door neighbor tonight as he rolls up in his Audi R8

Old 05-10-2013, 02:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,683,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
So you have to own a home in Scottsdale to be able to afford a Maserati? LOL, I'll tell that to my next door neighbor tonight as he rolls up in his Audi R8
Sweet ride. Not many cars sexier than an R8. I don't see where he said you had to live in Scottsdale to own an expensive car though. That would be a ridiculous statement. I think you took his comment out of context.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 PM

428 posts, read 5,886,795 times
A neighbor of mine bought his house in the $400s and he has a lexus and a range rover on the driveway. I still find it strange that people in AZ will have over $100k of cars parked on their driveway of a relatively inexpensive home.... The old homes in the Bronx that are worth $500-600k still have more hondas, VW, toyotas, etc. parked outside over a luxury car. I guess people feel rich with a $400k here and broke in NY

Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,297,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3vince View Post
A neighbor of mine bought his house in the $400s and he has a lexus and a range rover on the driveway. I still find it strange that people in AZ will have over $100k of cars parked on their driveway of a relatively inexpensive home.... The old homes in the Bronx that are worth $500-600k still have more hondas, VW, toyotas, etc. parked outside over a luxury car. I guess people feel rich with a $400k here and broke in NY
That's like in the Newport Beach area where my in-laws live. You need $850K to get a shack and the car of choice seems to be Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. You still see the Ferrari's, etc, but those are not the norm. As part of my business I look at investment properties almost daily, and it never fails, I'll be in a starter type neighborhood where houses go for $150K or so and see Escalades and Range Rovers with $3K in rims alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area