Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 AM

211 posts, read 543,927 times

Advertisements

I kno negative comments are not allowed

Has anyone had a new home built By Taylor Morrison. I've been out to Az to see there homes and like there builds and designs. From what I've heard there one of the better builders out there.
Yes I've looked at Shea and Fulton but there price is higher.

Just looking for people's opinions on TM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 10:14 AM

168 posts, read 456,276 times
You'll hear negative comments about every builder. We've owned Shea, Taylor Morrison, and Fulton and a few others over the years. Every home has had problems, but nothing major. The builder is only as good as the subs they're using. Even in one subdivision, you'll have different quality and different problems throughout the development b/c different workers were used. You can compare a Shea home in the west valley to a Shea home in the east valley, and the quality might vary quite a bit. So take every review you hear with a grain of salt. But overall, I don't think you can go too wrong with any major builder. Just hire your own home inspector before you sign the papers, and also hire one for your one year. Don't rely on the builder's inspections or your own eyes. A good home inspector is absolutely worth the couple hundred bucks you'll pay.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinsFan1 View Post
You'll hear negative comments about every builder. We've owned Shea, Taylor Morrison, and Fulton and a few others over the years. Every home has had problems, but nothing major. The builder is only as good as the subs they're using. Even in one subdivision, you'll have different quality and different problems throughout the development b/c different workers were used. You can compare a Shea home in the west valley to a Shea home in the east valley, and the quality might vary quite a bit. So take every review you hear with a grain of salt. But overall, I don't think you can go too wrong with any major builder. Just hire your own home inspector before you sign the papers, and also hire one for your one year. Don't rely on the builder's inspections or your own eyes. A good home inspector is absolutely worth the couple hundred bucks you'll pay.
Hire inspector for BOTH pre-drywall and pre-closing inspections!

Old 04-08-2013, 02:50 PM

168 posts, read 456,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Hire inspector for BOTH pre-drywall and pre-closing inspections!
Yes. I should have been more concise. Obviously, a buyer should hire an inspector for BOTH inspections.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
Not sure about Taylor Morrison. BTW, did you check out Pulte, my third choice of a builder after Fulton and Shea?

Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 PM

211 posts, read 543,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Not sure about Taylor Morrison. BTW, did you check out Pulte, my third choice of a builder after Fulton and Shea?
not a fan of Putle ....

Taylor morrison and shea are my 2 fav builders to use.

thanks for the info , i will definately hire inspectors for all areas of the build.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 PM

200 posts, read 413,243 times
I deal with most major builders in town regarding structural issues both before the homeowner moves in and after.
Most builders outsource their structural drawings out and the houses are built to these.
Surprisingly, almost all the builders use 1 of 2 companies.
With that being said, the subs often use different crews based on the part of town they live in.
Framing for example, the companies try to keep the west side guys on the west and same on the east. Crew absolutely vary in both quality and completeness.
Trusses are built the same no matter where in the valley they are shipped, as are panel walls.
I'll leave my opinion about home inspectors out of this as not to ruffle any feathers .
I'm sure they are good ones out there . Just remember, they will always find something. Different eyes focus on different things, and if they don't find anything, you will feel it was a waste of money.....just my opinion. Most of the inspectors I've dealt with were tract supers that were laid off during the slow down. Some of their findings are based upon code and some on opinion .

One of the biggest things is how a builder treats the buyer after the sale , like at the one year. In my opinion, with my dealings every day, Taylor Morrison does a good job. Probably one of my top 3.
Long answer to an easy question.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:57 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
My favorite is Toll Brothers but I like Taylor Morrison, and Camelot. I'm not a fan of Fulton, Shea or Pulte.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Excellent advice above.

You should really do your homework and read up on all.

I have seen fancy developments use 2 x 4 construction with finger joint studs. Very expensive homes.

I have heard (rumor mind you) of less then adequate concrete or concrete that was not allowed to cure properly.

I have seen too many homes with zero structured wiring.

I have seen too many homes with not enough outlets or outlets in "wrong" places. Code requires certain placement and builders meet code and no more.

Get the extended garage option if offered. Never enough storage space.

Up until 20/30 years ago all homes were single story. Then developers found out that it was cheaper to construct a 2 story home on a smaller footprint. Remember - heat rises. Does affect your AC bill.

Location, though is probably the most important item.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:34 AM

428 posts, read 5,884,429 times
I looked at their lone mountain and norterra developments. At norterra, they bought lots from pulte and built the remainder of their gated division called norterra ridge. Compared to the homes previously built by pulte there, you can tell the TM ones were much lower/cheaper in quality which was a bit disappointing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area