Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 04:12 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,694,581 times

Advertisements

Unless you're extremely experienced..........the best advice is and always has been "NEVER HIKE ALONE."

Also if you routinely sit around in air-cooled spaces and don't get outside much, the afternoon of a 110 degree day is not the ideal time to all of a sudden go and explore the great outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 06:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,706,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Unless you're extremely experienced..........the best advice is and always has been "NEVER HIKE ALONE."
The problem is, for some of us, that would mean never getting out on the trails at all. Ever. Finding someone comparable in experience, who is motivated, and who can also match your schedule, is practically impossible. Besides that, the challenge of self reliance and the solitude are some of the things that a lot of outdoors people enjoy...

Anyway, if a person doesn't want to hike alone, they can just go to Squaw Peak, Camelback (if they can get one of the 3 parking spaces), or North Mountain. It's almost impossible to go there without seeing a lot of other people.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:01 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,392,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptacamp View Post
At what temperature would you stop hiking? I hiked last year in the low 100s and it got pretty hot in the towards the middle of the day. I was pretty happy to be heading out of the superstitions in the early afternoon. Temperature was somewhere between 100-105. I am from the Northeast. Perhaps my body would get more acclimated to the climate if I spent more than a week at a time out there.
One disconnect for out of towners is the notion that it is hottest at noon. That's not true here in the good ol' Valley of the Sun - which SHOULD be named the Valley ON the sun. For a multitude of reasons, if you are in and around the city, expect it to be hottest around 4-ish. Part of that is due to the highways being paved with recycled tires - so they hold in the heat. And the millions of cubic feet of concrete also holds the heat only to release it for your sweltering pleasure in the mid-afternoon. As has been pointed out here, physical activities are best in the early morning. Read - 5AM or earlier. There's a reason for the Siesta tradition in the Southwest. You work hard early morning up till around noon. Take it easy under shade or indoors till around 5 or 6. Go out and play again around 8 or 9pm. Experienced hikers and golfers may have worked this out, but a person new to the valley really needs to pay attention. I've seen big strong guys on the golf course keel over from heat exhaustion.

One other caution - You don't realize you are sweating. It wicks off almost instantly. So the normal instincts about drinking water all the time aren't triggered. I prefer my own version of a gatorade type drink - I mix celtic sea salt and a little stevia in my water bottles*. I like this type of salt because it has a lot of minerals. I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but if I just drink a gallon of water throughout the day, I start to feel "water sick" -- I don't know how else to describe it. So the salt and sweetener helps alleviate that sensation and I function a lot better.

*disclaimer - I don't have any connection to either link I put here. Those are just for information purposes. You can find both products from a variety of manufacturers at health food stores.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 AM

800 posts, read 1,913,893 times
The following was written by a fellow volunteer City of Phoenix Park Steward, shared with all Stewards by one of the Park Rangers. This is copied by express permission from the writer who would also like to spread this advice to as many as possible:

After reading the article this morning about the thefts at the Parks
Trailheads I thought I'd send this. I have been an avid hiker for years and
now I volunteer as a Park Steward to the Phoenix Parks Department. I hike
various trails in the North Phoenix Mountain Preserve from three to five
days a week. Needless to say I see hikers, both male and female who do not
take any precautions at the trailheads, When I see problem situation
arising, I always try to inform hikers of some things they always should do.

First of all, never open the trunk of your car after you arrive at the
trailhead. If anything needs to be put in the trunk, do it before you leave
home. Questionable individuals hide in ravines or in bushes around the
trailhead and watch. When a person opens their trunk, either to put
something in, or get something out the bad guys watch. Now they know what
you look like and that you'll be gone hiking or running for at least an
hour. They can take their time braking into your vehicle. If you put your
pack, water etc. in the vehicle with you, you're not showing them anything
when you get it out.

For the ladies. You don't need your purses to hike. Bring your keys,
drivers license, a card with important information, your cell phone, a
couple of dollars and hiking gear with you. You don't need your nail files
or makeup. Leave it in your purse at home. It's safer there than anywhere
in your vehicle. This goes for the guys too, except the purses.

Be careful as you return to the trailhead. Make sure your vehicle hasn't
been broken in too before you unlock it. In Phoenix commit to memory a
phone number. It is (602) 262-6151. That is the number of the Phoenix
Police Department non-emergency line. If a theft has occurred and the bad
guys are gone, use this number, NOT 911. I can tell you up front that the
Police more than likely will not respond to a vehicle break-in unless the
bad guys are still there. I'm not saying not to report it but after it's
happened it becomes low priority because it's no longer an emergency.

I don't write this to make people feel that hiking is dangerous. It's not.
Just take a few extra precautions to make your hike more enjoyable.

Larry W
Phoenix, AZ

Old 06-09-2013, 11:02 AM

800 posts, read 1,913,893 times
As far as hiking alone, I think that's fine as long as you are well-prepared:

Always take more water than you expect (at least a quart for short hikes), and take a snack or energy drink with electrolytes.

Wear sturdy footwear appropriate to the trail! Can't tell you how many people are out there in running shoes or sandals on the rocky terrain.

Take basic first aid supplies.

Wear a hat and light colored clothing. A bandana can be a lifesaver for someone with heat stroke. If you wet the cloth, then spin it in the air for a few seconds, it makes a wonderfully refreshing evaporative cooler.

If you're going out on an unpopulated trail, tell someone where you're going, and for how long you expect to be gone.

Take a cell phone.

Watch for snakes, birds of prey, coyotes, and other potentially dangerous critters, and don't bother them! KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEASH! It's not only the law, it's for your and your dog's safety. Phoenix has lost more than a few dogs to snakes and coyotes on city trails.

If you feel at all uncomfortable in the heat, DON'T go hiking! It doesn't take long to become dehydrated or get heat exhaustion/stroke. Know the signs and symptoms and don't become a victim.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 AM

7,196 posts, read 9,267,072 times
Good advice above. I'll throw 1 more thing out there. Don't feel like you "Have To" finish the hill, trail, mountain. If you're starting to feel woozy or exhibiting other symptoms listed in some of the articles take stock of your situation. Seriously think about turning around.

I've done hikes where I was within 1/2 mi of the end and decided it wasn't worth it to finish. Come back another day, and I did. Unless you're a professional athlete what's the big deal. It's supposed to be fun.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,322,699 times
8 Tips for Summer Hiking in Arizona - Phoenix - Arts - Jackalope Ranch

more hiking tips from the new times

Old 06-11-2013, 11:22 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Here's a better idea: don't go hiking at all during the summer months, unless you go at dawn & finish before roughly 8 AM. I can't believe how many people actually want to hike this time of year. It's too risky ... even a large part of the mornings are hot in the direct sunlight, and the risk for heat stroke and collapse increases rapidly as the day goes on. This is also the driest time of year in the Phoenix area. Humidity levels are in the single digits, so you may not sweat as much, and may think the dry heat is tolerable, but that in itself can be very dangerous. Dehydration is a huge risk in June when the air is so dry, and many people simply don't drink enough water even though they may think they don't need to.

Most of all, I'm really fed up with hearing about all the bozos who take these summer hikes and become stranded, disoriented, or whatever else. It's a burden on fire departments and a menace to taxpayers to have to rescue these morons who didn't take precautions & didn't realize how much stress the heat can have on the average person. I seriously wish there would be a Stupid Hiker Law (much like the Stupid Motorist Law), which would force these stranded hikers to pay for their own resuces instead of being a burden to the public.

Before anybody considers hiking the nearby mountains/trails during the summer months, stop for a minute, rethink your decision, and wise up! Isn't there anything better to do in the summer months besides taking a risk like this out in the heat?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area