Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 07:27 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jucaam View Post
saw "Jaws" at the drive-in in S'dale on Thomas (can't remember the name!, However, I was terrified of sharks in swimming pools for years!)
That was the Round-Up Drive-in, with the big neon cowboy. I loved that place.

At the height (depth?) of the Disco era, there was a disco on 20th street and Camelback (in the building that Linens Plus last occupied - can't remember if they are still in business) called Bogart's that tried a series of attempts to drum up business that ultimately failed. One of those was a plan for a lucite clear dance floor with live sharks in water underneath. (Actually, pretty small sharks, not great whites or anything) They were ultimately disapproved by the Department of Fish and Game, who said it was would have been terrifying for the fish to have all those stilleto heels rapping right above their heads.

They also tried having a hot tub on the dance floor, but realized no one wanted to go to the nightclub, change into a bathing suit in the restroom, then walk through the crowded dance floor of fully clothed people to hop into a hot tub in a smoky room with strangers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:50 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
That was the Round-Up Drive-in, with the big neon cowboy. I loved that place.

At the height (depth?) of the Disco era, there was a disco on 20th street and Camelback (in the building that Linens Plus last occupied - can't remember if they are still in business) called Bogart's that tried a series of attempts to drum up business that ultimately failed. One of those was a plan for a lucite clear dance floor with live sharks in water underneath. (Actually, pretty small sharks, not great whites or anything) They were ultimately disapproved by the Department of Fish and Game, who said it was would have been terrifying for the fish to have all those stilleto heels rapping right above their heads.

They also tried having a hot tub on the dance floor, but realized no one wanted to go to the nightclub, change into a bathing suit in the restroom, then walk through the crowded dance floor of fully clothed people to hop into a hot tub in a smoky room with strangers.
Bogart's was the first nightclub to really go over big in Phoenix. The place was full of posers. Silly backgammon tables when you first walked in. the bar was in the center with the dance floor at the back. They had a great happy hour with high class food but obviously a huge expense. Later became Trader Joe's. Boot's opened at the Colonnade and took away Bogart's business. Then Malarkey's opened on Highland and 16th and knocked off Boot's. Huge place with two dance floors, used to be the Smoke House. Gorgeous interior with an emerald green carpet and oak flooring on the walls called tambor? The carpet turned black from all the spilled drinks and gum, the silk flowers were all damaged by customers picking them. One thing I remember was the dance floor shaped like a shamrock and those totally huge Peavey speakers all over the place.

Last edited by roosevelt; 08-04-2009 at 08:01 AM..

Old 08-04-2009, 08:20 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
I knew I had a postcard of that drive in.
Attachment 46448

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:14 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 10:17 AM

32 posts, read 95,685 times
Default phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
I grew up at 43rd Ave & Bethany. Moved into the HallCraft developement in 1960. I dont remember a dump there at all. Everything was farmland which spread west into Glendale. The Totimers owned the farmland on the SW corner and were the last hold-outs to sell their land to developers (Frys).
I don't believe building of tract homes has ever been allowed on top of cover land-fills.
Can you be more specific as to where this dump was?
do you remember the area of 27 and glendale ,in the 1960's,the houses just south of glendale.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:03 PM

107 posts, read 422,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Bogart's was the first nightclub to really go over big in Phoenix. The place was full of posers. Silly backgammon tables when you first walked in. the bar was in the center with the dance floor at the back. They had a great happy hour with high class food but obviously a huge expense. Later became Trader Joe's. Boot's opened at the Colonnade and took away Bogart's business. Then Malarkey's opened on Highland and 16th and knocked off Boot's. Huge place with two dance floors, used to be the Smoke House. Gorgeous interior with an emerald green carpet and oak flooring on the walls called tambor? The carpet turned black from all the spilled drinks and gum, the silk flowers were all damaged by customers picking them. One thing I remember was the dance floor shaped like a shamrock and those totally huge Peavey speakers all over the place.
If Bogart's was the club in Town & Country where Trader Joe's is now, then I remember going there once with a buddy from work in the mid-80's. He liked backgammon, so we drank beer and played while we observed the sea of yuppie-ness swirling around us. Sadly, none of the ladies threw themselves at our feet; guess they hadn't had enough to drink, even with happy hour prices.

Another 50's-60's Phoenix memory my brain randomly coughed up:
"Juice Stands," those roadside places selling fresh-squeezed OJ, citrus fruits, and maybe other local stuff like dates & cactus candy. They were right in town, not out in the farmland.

Two stands I specifically recall: near 34th St & Camelback (next to a bigger-than-life-size white concrete sculpture of a resting camel), and 54th St & Thomas.

The stand on Thomas was called "Cleve Summit"; don't know where that name originated, and I've never seen it anywhere else. It disappeared when an apartment complex was built there; I lived in one of those apts in the late 70's. Right down the street, at the SW corner of 56th & Thomas, was a citrus grove that had sheep grazing in the grass among the trees; also became apts or condos.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:10 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
Quote:

In Scottsdale, two of the big discos were Mingles (still there, I think) and Mable Murphy's (on Scottsdale and... Thomas?) There was a non-disco nightclub named B.B. Singer's in Scottsdale that was very popular and was the first place I was able to talk my way into and get a drink while still underage (19 was the Arizona drinking age then). It seemed breathtakingly adult to my 18 year old eyes. They had backgammon tables, a great menu, and a seemingly endless array of stunningly attractive female patrons and cocktail waitresses.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM

48 posts, read 245,949 times
Quote:
I knew I had a postcard of that drive in.
Attachment 46448
Thanks Roosevelt. I worked there in 1962. I was a pop corn popper LOL I got a wrist ganglion from folding all those popcorn boxes.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:48 PM

48 posts, read 245,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Dave Bob's comment about the hazy memory of a Bekins warehouse being associated with building rang a bell with me too. I don't think it was part of the Carnation plant.
I agree it was Bekin's. Only Carnation place was the resturant on Central/Indianschool NW side of the street.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 AM

5 posts, read 22,562 times
Good List. ...if I may continue
41. The searchlights along Camelback Road (west of 16th Street) when the new model cars came out.
42. Especially the hoopla for the "new" 1964 Mustangs for $2,400 each. Almost got my dad to cosign for me on one.
43. The 1964 presidential election with Barry Goldwater -- election night gathering at Westward Ho.
44. Camelback High
45. The drive to California before divided highways much less interstates. ....and coming into Phoenix via Wickenburg & Grand Avenue.
46. Lots of bowling alleys and drive ins
47. "Half Pound o' Ground Round" at Bob's on Central
48. Pizza after games at the new Sun Devil Stadium
49. "Pre-interstate" travel to Tucson through downtown Casa Grande
50. Skaggs Drug Stores; Yates Army Navy Surplus Stores; AJ Bayless Grand Openings
51. I forget what the pizza places were called but a $1 pizza was standard fare after high school football games.
52. Playing 9-hole pitch & putt under lights at some golf course along north I-17
53. Date restaurants -- Neptune's Table, Chez Louis, Green Gables, Stockyards, Pinacle Peak Patio

Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie30 View Post
53. Date restaurants -- Neptune's Table, Chez Louis, Green Gables, Stockyards, Pinacle Peak Patio
you took your dates to Pinnacle Peak Patio??!!

well, I hope it was at least a third or fourth date!!

just kidding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area