Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 10:50 AM

124 posts, read 318,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
EPA had something to do with the bread smell not emanating in the area now...or so I was told.
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It still does. (Van Buren just W of 7th Ave). Sara Lee took it over recently, though, I'm not sure what they are making there-- I haven't smelled bread lately.
I believe 7th Ave and Van Buren was the Rainbow Bakery. I just looked up Holsum Bakery on the internet and it is located at 23 Ave and Lincoln (right off the I-17/Black Canyon). They are apparently still in business and going strong. Holsum Bakery used to make Roman Meal bread. It was the only bread my dad would have in the house. As a child I hated it because all my friends ate "white" bread. I realize now that the whole grain "brown" bread was much healthier. Oh kids...
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Does Hugh Downs from ABC TV's program 20/20 still live in the Valley of the Sun? We used to hear him flying gliders out north of Phoenix near lake Plesant.
Biography of Hugh Downs
In 1998 Arizona State University upgraded its Communications Department into a school, now bearing the name THE HUGH DOWNS SCHOOL OF HUMAN COMMUNICATION. Downs is a frequent visitor and lecturer at the university.
He and his wife Ruth, live in Arizona They have two children, Hugh Raymond and Deirdre Lynn, two grandchildren, Lia Downs Harb, and Cameron Black. And now two great grandsons and a great granddaughter.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Does Hugh Downs from ABC TV's program 20/20 still live in the Valley of the Sun? We used to hear him flying gliders out north of Phoenix near lake Plesant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
So did they tear Lenny Monti's down or did it become something else? I went over to Sunnyslope last year and that entire 19th Ave/Peoria/Desert Cove area is now pretty rough...and L. Monti's was just up 19th Ave from there.
What do you mean by "rough"? I have lived in Northern Arizona for the past several years and have not been back to the Valley since. I was raised in the Valley so all these comments are extremely interesting.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Some more info on the Palms Theater from Cinematreasures:

"Beautiful theatre, very unique. Departing the parking lot, you passed the exterior part of the March of Dimes pool. You then passed through a arbor of Jasmine, a touch of heaven when blooming. Next is the entrance lobby, all in glass, where future posters were displayed with the inner part of the pool, there were always fresh flowers donated by Norman’s Flower Shop, south of the theatre. Also overhead music played by phone from the Adams Hotel, I believe this was one of Dwight (Red) Harkin’s first endeavors, not sure. This lobby led to the inner lobby which featured a collection of Indian pottery, the concession, and a kind maid keeping everything tidy. Popcorn was popped and bagged in the basement to avoid odors in the lobby. Entering the auditorium you observed beautiful contour curtains under gold ceiling lighting, soft house lights and music. Soon the house lights dim with blue lighting on the walls. The gold contours rise slowly, in loops, into the ceiling, leaving some gold loops hanging after rising. The contours extended nearly half way to the back of the auditorium. A thin title curtain covers the screen upon which opens to reveal the short subjects of Newsreel, Cartoon and Previews. The title curtain closes, gold lights come up, and feature film covers the title curtain as it opens, gold lights dim down. At completion of the feature, title closes and the contours drop in full gold. Leaving the theatre you have choices of Durant’s, Mexican Food, Polar Bear or Golden Drumstick next door. I MUST NOT forget to say that there was parking right on North Central. I remember the Fox, Vista, Rialto, Aztec (spanish, Strand and Phoenix theaters with fondness, downtown was safe and wonderful."

Here are some rare pictures, not very good from the old Theater Catalog for managers:
My sister worked at the Palms Theater while in high school. They had a grand opening of the movie Ben Hur and Charleton Heston attended. My sister said he was very kind and met all the theater staff prior to the showing of the movie. She was surprised to see that he had a small gap between his front teeth that did show in any of his movies. Of course, she said that did not detract from his very good looks.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:13 PM

Fox Phoenix Theatre in Phoenix, AZ - Cinema Treasures

Brief history of the Fox Theater in downtown Phoenix.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
My sister worked at the Palms Theater while in high school. They had a grand opening of the movie Ben Hur and Charleton Heston attended. My sister said he was very kind and met all the theater staff prior to the showing of the movie. She was surprised to see that he had a small gap between his front teeth that did show in any of his movies. Of course, she said that did not detract from his very good looks.
I would like to make a correction from my above statement. It was not Ben Hur but rather Diamond Head that had a grand opening (premier) at the Palms Theater when my sister worked there. All else is correct.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 PM

362 posts, read 1,701,305 times
Default Hanny's

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is Hanny's being built in 1948. Fox Theater in background along with Korricks and Dorris Heyman. Mr. Hanny died in 1949.

Attachment 81072
What was the address here? The Hannys on 1st Street & Adams is on a corner.
This does not appear to be.
Im soooo confused!
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-hannys2010.jpg  

Old 06-13-2011, 03:47 PM

427 posts, read 1,187,680 times
Quote:
The Hyatt Hotel in downtown Phoenix had a revolving restaurant atop the hotel. From there you could see everything as the restaurant made a rotation once every hour or so. Great place for dinner and drinks. Saw some great lightning shows during thunderstorms from up there at night along with aircraft landing at Sky Harbor.
I remember taking my mother there for a mothers day dinner in '78...what a view! She really got a kick out of it.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:52 PM

427 posts, read 1,187,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
I had several dresses made from flour sacks and they were my favorite dresses too. I remember the plates, etc. in the soap.... I would also love to stand and watch my mother wash clothes through the old old ringer type washing machine. She would always warn me to stay back for fear my clothing or hair might get caught in those ringers. Does anyone remember the old fashioned margerine that was white and you crushed a little yellow capsule of dye, mixed it in and voila'...yellow margerine.
I don't remember the margarine but I remember the plates...white with a wheat pattern and gold rimmed. Also remember towels in the soap too...weren't these towels and plates from Duzz or Dizz or something like that? I remember the flour sacks being used as dish towels. Seems like in the 'old days' they made it worth your while shopping at a particular store...the store itself gave out glasses, dishes, pots...seems like we had punch cards or something. And let's not forget trading stamps...they were my favorite.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:01 PM

362 posts, read 1,701,305 times
Default Porter Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
I don't remember the margarine but I remember the plates...white with a wheat pattern and gold rimmed. Also remember towels in the soap too...weren't these towels and plates from Duzz or Dizz or something like that? I remember the flour sacks being used as dish towels. Seems like in the 'old days' they made it worth your while shopping at a particular store...the store itself gave out glasses, dishes, pots...seems like we had punch cards or something. And let's not forget trading stamps...they were my favorite.
I seem to remember Porter Waggoner (sp?) pitching dish/laundry soap on TV and pulling those cheap little dish towels out of the box of soap. Im pretty sure Dolly Parton was in those commercials too.
Anybody?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area