Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 07:38 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Northsider View Post
The guy on the far left looks to be MILT Graham.
I doubt it, because he wasn't mayor any more at that time (and, the hair doesn't look right). I still think it's John Conlan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 03:21 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Northsider View Post
When I was in grade school, the family would make at least one trip a week to Frenchy's. I remember Frenchy's wife was spry ol' gal back then. I also recall they had what looked like shrunken heads made out of coconut shells hanging on the walls. The best seafood in town!

The old' frenchy's sign is still standing on 19th avenue, but it has an exterminating company on it now.

I must've missed the sign when I went looking for it. Wasn't it a pink building? around 19th and Desert Cove? I ate there at least once a week in the early/mid '70's. You're right she was a spry ol' gal...she'd give everyone 'what-for' whether you were behaving or not. I'd forgotten about the 'shrunken heads' but you brought it back. Do you remember that Frenchie's kitchen was glassed in from where his wife was? I always figured that was because she was hollering at him all the time. Sure wish I could "go back" and have some of their fried shrimp and fish...have never found any as good.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:36 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,134,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
I must've missed the sign when I went looking for it. Wasn't it a pink building? around 19th and Desert Cove? I ate there at least once a week in the early/mid '70's. You're right she was a spry ol' gal...she'd give everyone 'what-for' whether you were behaving or not. I'd forgotten about the 'shrunken heads' but you brought it back. Do you remember that Frenchie's kitchen was glassed in from where his wife was? I always figured that was because she was hollering at him all the time. Sure wish I could "go back" and have some of their fried shrimp and fish...have never found any as good.
It's been mentioned earlier in this thread, but Lazy Lou's had excellent fried seafood. I'll start a food fight here and say I've had better fried catfish in in a little hole in the holler in NW Arkansas and better fried crawfish in southern Louisiana , but in Phoenix I could find no better.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
[quote=desertratz;18676334]The Model T house....could that possibly be Mystery Castle? The guy that built it, Boyce Gulley, was said to have incorporated old car parts in it's construction from 1930-1945.

You are right, the place does have car parts in the walls. There was a big spread in Life magazine in the late 40's about this stone house; that's about the time I first toured the place and met the daughter.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
It's been mentioned earlier in this thread, but Lazy Lou's had excellent fried seafood. I'll start a food fight here and say I've had better fried catfish in in a little hole in the holler in NW Arkansas and better fried crawfish in southern Louisiana , but in Phoenix I could find no better.
I recognize the name Lazy Lou's so I'm guessing I've been there before but since it was at least 1000 yrs ago would you refresh my RAM... where is it?

Old 04-14-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
I recognize the name Lazy Lou's so I'm guessing I've been there before but since it was at least 1000 yrs ago would you refresh my RAM... where is it?
There were 2 Lazy Lou's Fish and Chips:
Near Thomas and Scottsdale Rd.
30th St. and Washington

Did they have a big sign with a sleeping fisherman and a leaping fish for the L's in Lazy Lou's?

Old 04-14-2011, 12:17 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,134,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
30th St. and Washington

Did they have a big sign with a sleeping fisherman and a leaping fish for the L's in Lazy Lou's?
He had his straw hat pulled down over his eyes. Their slogan: "Get your shoes to Lazy Lou's."

Old 04-14-2011, 03:15 PM

283 posts, read 880,466 times
Quote:
30th St. and Washington

I used to frequent the Knock Kneed Lobster on the NE corner of 32nd St and Washington when I worked at Garrett. They are in the building that used to be the old Guys and Dolls nightclub/bar.

I was talking to the counter help several years back and they told me that it was started by one of the children of the people that owned Lazy Lou's. Sometime later a place opened in Mesa called Sullivan's Pier and it was an exact copy of Knock Kneed Lobster right down to the menu and the food served. Turns out that this was the daughter of the Knock Kneed Lobster owners and granddaughter of Lazy Lou's. The place closed about a year ago and now I have to trek back to Knock Kneed Lobster to get their seafood.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:51 PM

Bob Gordon 1959 Phoenix something, Senators?

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-bob-gordon-1959.jpg

Old 04-14-2011, 10:01 PM

88 posts, read 273,061 times
Quote:
30th St. and Washington

There was a Lazy Lou's just west of 27th Ave & Bethany Home Rd until fairly recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area