Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 06:58 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,075,677 times

Advertisements

Az Mike....thanks for posting that trailer....I guess I saw that every few weeks when I went to an AMC movie back them, but hadn't seen that trailer in, I guess, 24 years or so.....I remember it well now.....

still seems a bit edgy and creepy even now in the 21st century!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 07:29 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,480,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
Az Mike....thanks for posting that trailer....I guess I saw that every few weeks when I went to an AMC movie back them, but hadn't seen that trailer in, I guess, 24 years or so.....I remember it well now.....

still seems a bit edgy and creepy even now in the 21st century!
If you click on the YouTube link to get you to the main YouTube page, there are a bunch of comments from the people and the actors who made the trailer - all done without CGI!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:08 PM

59 posts, read 194,901 times
Yes Arizona Mike I do remember the monthly calendars from the sombreo,in fact I still have one,it lives with my copy of Wallace & Ladmo's 25th anniversary issue of New Times Weekly. Liked your date story,should have asked her out again for a "Story of O "/" Last tango in Paris" double feature,also a sombreo favorite. lol

Old 08-15-2010, 03:16 AM

111 posts, read 339,308 times
I remember when I drove my mother way, way out on the west side, very, very early on Sunday mornings, when the weather was hot, to get some air, and all of a sudden, the Basques--I think they were--came through on horses with their sheep who stopped traffic and surrounded the few cars in a sea of white until they passed. This was into the 1970s, maybe early 80s. Again, in the first half of the 1950s, my grandparents, my mother, and I were in the Studebaker or the DeSoto in the morning and we took the west side route to the St. John's Indian School festival. I remember that there was a huge
dirt "median" between the two one-way almost unpaved roads and that there were hundreds or thousands of doves. The Valley seemed alive with every kind of life we could imagine and a few life forms we could not imagine.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:50 PM

155 posts, read 478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The first Dairy Queen I remember in Phoenix was on South Central right across the street from my grandparents house. That was in 1950. When was the first one built?

Do you remember the original (I think) Pete's Fish 'n Chips on South Central? It was just up the street from my grade school. Don't remember if it was there in 1950 but definitely in 1954 when I was in 7th grade. I also remember the one on Main St. in Mesa in 1968. Are they even still around?

I remember the old Pete's Fish & Chips on the nw corner of 36th st. and Van Buren back in 1960 right across 32nd st from the Phoenix Drive In. I went to David Crockett school behind the drive in on 36th St. They moved it up the road across Van Buren towards the original Bill Johnson's and I think it still is there.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzSon View Post
Here's a old Taco Bell circa 1977.This one was on Southern just west of Central. It was demolished in the mid 80's when they built a new one next door with indoor seating and a drive thru.

Attachment 66740
There is a Taco Bell on about 71st St. And Thomas that is still there and I remember it back in the late 60's/early seventies because I worked at Gino's pizza delivery in Scottsdale and we'd trade food cuz we got tired of pizza.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Another long gone Tempe "resort".

Yes, The TeePee lodge there sat on the NW corner of Rural and Apache in Tempe. Thanks for the pic of that.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:27 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,632,287 times
While on the subject of motels, here is an interesting photo taken when the Phoenix Ivory Palace Motel at 3601 North Central was still like new.
Click image for larger version

Name:	phx ivory palace motel 1953.jpg
Views:	1129
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	66848

Old 08-15-2010, 04:39 PM

Anyone remember the "old" cross cut canal that ran along 48th street from Indian School (Arizona canal) to Van Buren? It was dirt and V shaped and pretty deep. Always had a little water runnung down it and we'd dam it up with wood and such to make a "swimming hole in the hot summers. SRP seemed to understand (back then) and would leave it alone most of the summer since the canal wasn't used much. They'd tear the dam down (which didn't take much) after summer and we didn't use it. They finally put pipe in and buried it and have a common area for walking now. Early in the 1900's they replaced it with the new cross cut that ran the same route but up the road on 64th street hense it never having more water in it than an ordinary irrigation ditch we all played around as kids.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:58 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,480,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
... Early in the 1900's they replaced it with the new cross cut that ran the same route but up the road on 64th street hense it never having more water in it than an ordinary irrigation ditch we all played around as kids...
Dang, how old are you?

I do remember that canal well. I'd walk up 48th Street from East High School in the mid-1970s to walk girls home or visit friends that lived up in the Sherwood Heights area, alongside that canal. There was a story told by some of the teens that lived around there that a child had been riding in the back of a pick-up truck and was thrown into that canal when the car made a sharp turn and his parents didn't realize he was missing until they got home. It seemed unlikely (how far could you be thrown by a car swerving?) and was probably just a local urban legend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area