Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 05:32 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The newspaper sure had a good time with the word 'dam.'
The first thing it made me think of is the little cafe in Boulder City, Nev whose sign had the slogan "Best food by a dam site". It may still be there, I haven't been in BC for years.

Great pics, roosevelt, thanks as always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 PM

214 posts, read 646,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
I shopped at that Kmart for years. Back when you walked in the door and there was that little deli counter. They had those subs, mostly baloney and ham and cheese on a hamburger bun. In the back corner they still sold birds and fish.
We always bought the submarine sandwiches they sold at the deli, and washed it down with a cherry ICEE. We always got our school clothes at KMart at this location or the one that was at McDowell and Hayden.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:35 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,460 times
Default orpheum theater 1935-2010

Heres another piece i did for the "Looking into the Past" Flickr site.
Flickr: Looking Into the Past (http://www.flickr.com/groups/lookingintothepast/ - broken link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orpheum...oenix,_Arizona)

If you've never been inside - go. Very few places in Phoenix hold this much history.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-orpheum-theater-1935-2010b.jpg  

Old 08-19-2010, 02:43 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Heres another piece i did for the "Looking into the Past" Flickr site.
Flickr: Looking Into the Past (http://www.flickr.com/groups/lookingintothepast/ - broken link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orpheum_Theatre_(Phoenix,_Arizona)

If you've never been inside - go. Very few places in Phoenix hold this much history.
When they restored the Orpheum, they goofed on two big items: the marquee as you see in the above picture was not used, just a more simple one; all the light fixtures were Spanish fixtures from the late 20's, what they did was make totally different black wrought iron fixtures that do not match one bit. I have photos of the original fixtures, the lobby was Spanish lanterns and upstairs glass star bursts mounted in brass. Even the wall lights and floor lamps matched.

The Orpheum was the only theater in town that had the projection booth under the balcony railing; kids would go up there and sprinkle popcorn in front of the lens and get black snow on the screen........then run for it.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:10 PM

10 posts, read 32,301 times
Jack, the Motor boats were electric. Quiet but slow, they did have an appeal that was hard to resist. A Saturday evening after the Matinee at the Fox Theater was a Class Date, even if you had to ride the bus from Downtown, and walk from 15th Avenue.

The Rhythm Rascals headlined the Lew King Ranger show on the Fox Stage with a couple of Serials, set to end on different Saturdays, and a double feature. The Rascals were Wayne and Jerry Newton. Yes that Wayne Newton. I think Jerry managed his act for a while. Lew King Gooood...was still producing shows in the early 1980's.

I spent a lot of time in those Canoes, and never tipped one or saw one tipped, they were wide. I can remember reaching up to touch the underside of the Bridges while passing though. Mary Coyle Ice Cream was at the corner of 15th Avenue and Thomas. I think, it predated the Sugar Bowl in Scottsdale by ten years. Grosso's on VanBuren at about 12th street was another great Ice Cream shop, and McAlpines On 7th at Virginia NEVER raised the price of a scoop of Ice Cream, but they did close the fountain down in about 1982. One Scoop...One Nickle. Floats and malts were 35 cents.
The store is an antique shop now.

Sarwark Motors is still in business at 16th and VanBuren. Aero Bowl was still open on VanBuren at about 29 Ave the last time I was in Alzona Park.

Papago Park had at least one, and possibly two riding stables, and there may still be a stable at the Central Avenue Gate to South Mountain Park.

I saw a piece on the Fray Marcos de Niza Rock at the Guadalupe Entrance to South Mountain on the "History Detectives." They cut away part of the protective cage, to manage some scientific dating tests. The petrograph is apparently a hoax. The inscription was apparently made in about 1900. The other petrographic marks are genuine, some, in Hidden Valley, are totally out of reach today, the result of erosion. Fat Man's Pass is still on the trail.

I do Miss the Bob's Big Boy at Central and Thomas. The old Main Post office at Central and Fillmore is where I registered for the Draft. That was in the days the military service was considered an obligation of citizenship.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edekit View Post

i do miss the bob's big boy at central and thomas. The old main post office at central and fillmore is where i registered for the draft. That was in the days the military service was considered an obligation of citizenship.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-bobs-menu-1.jpg How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-bobs-menu-2.jpg

Old 08-20-2010, 01:18 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,460 times
Default McAlpines

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdEKit View Post
McAlpines On 7th at Virginia NEVER raised the price of a scoop of Ice Cream, but they did close the fountain down in about 1982. One Scoop...One Nickle. Floats and malts were 35 cents.
The store is an antique shop now. \
Heres someone else's shots of McAlpines.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-mac-alpines01.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-mac-alpines02.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-mac-alpines03.jpg  

Old 08-20-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Heres someone else's shots of MacAlpines.
The counter and pharmacy are original. That is amazing in itself. I think there was a small grocery store to the right and a barber shop to the left back about 1950.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-macalpines.jpg Located a 1930's view, grocery store to the right. There was an extension to the left in the 40's.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:12 PM

115 posts, read 291,408 times
Regarding the "Pay and Take It" wasn't that owned by Stan Felix? I can remember a radio spot for Stan Felixes Madison Pay and Take It. Although if I remember correctly they gave the address as 16th Street and Missouri. Maybe it's the same market. ANYONE???

Old 08-20-2010, 05:53 PM

283 posts, read 880,767 times
About once or twice a month my dad would take the family to Harman's Big Red Barn for Sunday morning breakfast. Harman's was located on Apache Boulevard, I believe just east of where Lemon crosses it.

We'd all pile into the Pontiac Chieftain with the lighted indian head hood ornament, which in my juvenile mind was absolutely the COOLEST thing in the world, and away we would go. I remember a cage out front by the sign that had a mangy looking mountain lion in it that all us kids would tease, of course. The seating inside, best I can remember, was picnic tables together kind of like the Mining Camp restaurant did.

Note "A" mountain by ASU in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-harmans1.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-menu1.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-menu2.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-menu3.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-menu4.jpg  

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area