Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 12:24 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
Could the building in the background be the old Apache Beer (Phoenix Brewing) brewery building on east Madison? Comeon Rosey, toss us a bone!
The Apache Hotel on Central across and down a bit from the old post office. The new building is the First National Bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 02:28 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Yes, 46th and Van Buren. Would you believe that in the late 40's they would give 8th graders a tour of the slaughter house? Unreal but then lot's of things were taken for granted without PC interference.

As for my photo the name on the building is Apache.
There used to be a "Milk Bar" (hamburger and malted stand) just a block or so east of the Cudahy plant on Van Buren. I would sometimes walk over there from East High School to grab dinner if there was some after-school activity I was staying for. I remember sitting eating a burger and watching the cows get driven up into the slaughterhouse, which gave me a funny feeling.

There was also a small stand that sold steer manure right nearby that local gardeners would go to. There was a small office on the lot, bags of steer manure and a HUGE pile of dried steer manure they filled the bags with. When we did some backyard gardening (like my backyard pumpkin patch), we would swing by there to pick up a few sacks. I actually always kind of considered it a treat to go there, for some reason. The people who worked there always seemed happy and friendly.

I think some scenes in the HBO movie TEMPLE GRANDIN were set in the (long gone) Tovrea stockyards. Check it out if you get a chance, interesting true story about an autistic woman who went to ASU, got her Ph.D and changed the way the cattle business is run (as well as people's views on autism).

Old 09-04-2010, 04:16 PM

Don't know if this is of much use since it is an oversized postcard printed on cheap paper but I can see where the bank was built. Across the street is the old Bayless shopping center, there was a Revco in there and Scholar's? school supplies. He used to be the principle of Madison Meadows, I guess he got burned out. There is a vacant lot where Safeway went in. Next to that is Whitfill Nursery which is still there.

Keep clicking on thumbnail for largest size:
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-vnb-postcard.jpg

Old 09-04-2010, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,922 times
Does anyone remember where the Hobo Joe's locations in East Phoenix were? I want to say the now out of buisiness JB's restaurant on the SW corner of 32nd St and Indian School used to be a Hobo Joe's but it's been so long it's hard to remember. I used to love the treasure chest of toys that us kids got to choose prizes from if we ate our whole meal.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native 1978 View Post
Does anyone remember where the Hobo Joe's locations in East Phoenix were? I want to say the now out of buisiness JB's restaurant on the SW corner of 32nd St and Indian School used to be a Hobo Joe's but it's been so long it's hard to remember. I used to love the treasure chest of toys that us kids got to choose prizes from if we ate our whole meal.
Hobo Joe's at 16th and Camelback, 20th and Thomas, Scottsdale Road near Indian School Rd; Los Arcos plus Tempe, Mesa and Glendale.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:46 AM

83 posts, read 311,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native 1978 View Post
that JB's was actually a BOB's BIG BOY and just west of there was a Pearkin's that was orginally a SAMBO's. there was also a BOB's on 46th Street and Thomas on the north side of Thomas.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:05 AM

283 posts, read 880,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Hobo Joe's at 16th and Camelback, 20th and Thomas, Scottsdale Road near Indian School Rd; Los Arcos plus Tempe, Mesa and Glendale.
There was a Hobo Joe's on the corner of Main and Stapley in Mesa. In 1971 when I was working the night shift, I would stop there after work for a bite to eat before heading home. They had the best beef stew that was served in a large bowl with a small loaf of fresh baked bread on the side that you sliced yourself and a cup of real butter to slather on your bread.

There was also a Hobo Joe's in Globe at the intersection of Highways 60 & 188 where you turned for Roosevelt Lake. The building and it's kitschy interior is still there only it's now Judy's Cookhouse or something like that.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
There was a Hobo Joe's on the corner of Main and Stapley in Mesa. In 1971 when I was working the night shift, I would stop there after work for a bite to eat before heading home. They had the best beef stew that was served in a large bowl with a small loaf of fresh baked bread on the side that you sliced yourself and a cup of real butter to slather on your bread.

There was also a Hobo Joe's in Globe at the intersection of Highways 60 & 188 where you turned for Roosevelt Lake. The building and it's kitschy interior is still there only it's now Judy's Cookhouse or something like that.
I have a menu, coffee is 15 cents so an early one. On the back is a list of hobo symbols. Your Old Fashioned Hobo Stew is $1.25 with buttermilk bread and butter. I note the stew is seeped in beef gravy, your cholesterol must have been through the roof.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dsc02653.jpg I wonder if any Hobo statues were stolen. Bob's had that problem, also I think someone tried to steal Humpty Dumpty on Central above Camelback once.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:36 PM

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-kiva.jpgSome people were talking about the Kiva Theater.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:39 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
I'm not a resident, nor have I ever been, but my step brother used to live in Phoenix and once a month me and my parents would make the trip from San Diego to Phoenix to see him and spend a few days there on Holidays. It was fun! I haven't been back in a while. I should make another trip sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area