Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 PM

427 posts, read 1,189,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Yes sadly its gone-has been for years -the empty lot is still there hanging off the edge of the hill. You're right though, that whole area is a dump now. Nothing but liquor stores, discount furniture shops and half empty run down strip malls.

I used to work at the PO over there off Peoria around 21 Ave (?)
It was a building the Gov. leased from Pete King Construction which I believe was/is one of the older more prolific builders in the valley.

Here it is.
I lived on 15th and Desert Cove and then 16th and Peoria...none of those apartment complexes were there...nor were the strip malls and retail stores...I think there was a Circle K on the corner of 19th and Peoria with Riazzi's across the street...don't remember much up 19th except a Dairy Queen and Frenchie's Fish-n-Chips...not much really to the freeway and then they built MetroCenter on the other side of the Black Cnyn.

Last edited by trillcatz; 02-23-2011 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Thanks for the great pix of the old Court House Roosevelt.

For those of you who may be interested in another truly historic building here in Phoenix - take a drive over to 115 W. Sherman and eyeball the Duppa Homestead - the oldest standing domestic structure in the Phoenix area.
Im talking 1870 here folks -when Roosevelt was still in high school zing!

Read about the man who named Phoenix (it was almost Pumpkinville-ouch!) and everything he's responsible for. You should know this!
Darell Duppa

Heres an old shot I scanned from a history book and one I took last year.
Also a map to help find it. If you enjoy learning about our local history you've got to see this.

ps Its a little rough over there so go in the daytime and keep your eyes open.
WOW!! The adobe is in really great shape! Glad to see it's fenced in and at least people have respected that. I never knew about that and I grew up in south Phoenix. Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDPHX View Post
She is in this photo - retired in 1970 after 42 years teaching in the Phoenix Elementary School District

LOL the teachers in the photo certainly look like the teachers I grew up with...ever notice how many teachers were still "Miss" and had 20-30 yrs of teaching in. Made me think of Miss Dora Quesada who taught at Valley View Elementary in the '60's...always wanted to thank her but unfortunately she passed in the '90's. Anyone else go to Valley View?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
After my grandma passed away, I was going through her things (she was a big pack rat) and found a bunch of playing cards (maybe for bridge? She was a big bridge player back in the day) that were still sealed and had the AJ Bayless markets logo on them and a little cartoon drawing on the backs of the cards. They were a double deck of cards in a flocked holder with gold lettering. Very classy.

Do you remember Tang's Imports that used to be at Town & Country? I used to love that place as a kid.

I was on a road trip to Missouri a couple years ago and passed through a town somewhere along the way that had a Smitty's!! It was really shocking, I thought they had gone out of business, I guess they left the Phoenix area like so many other businesses did.
I remember Tangs...must've been in the '60's...maybe a bit later. I seem to remember getting some east Indian style hoop earrings there as a teen and friends bought their 'water buffalo' sandals there. Does that sound familiar?

Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson44 View Post
Does anyone have a history of the Good Shepherd Convent?
Any books or articles written about it? Memoirs?
LOL oh I have memories of it...about one years worth. The one thing I definitely learned there (learned other things too) was that cleanliness was next to godliness...the girls cleaned that entire school...any former alumnus out there remember 'scrub week'? Behavior 'deterrents' used back then would be illegal today but maybe if 'deterrents' actually made kids think about what they did maybe we'd have better behaved kids today. Anyway, I don't have anything historical to add but I do have tales.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:19 AM

283 posts, read 882,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
I remember Tangs...must've been in the '60's...maybe a bit later. I seem to remember getting some east Indian style hoop earrings there as a teen and friends bought their 'water buffalo' sandals there. Does that sound familiar?
"Water Buffalo" sandals.......that's something I haven't heard of in years! Those were real popular in the 60's and I think I bought mine at Tang's also. Thanks for that memory!

I think the majority of Tang's inventory was east Indian and there was lots of brass items. Nowadays it would all be from China.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:55 AM

283 posts, read 882,527 times
Default Scandals

Remember Darrow “Duke” Tully, the former Arizona Republic and Phoenix Gazette publisher who faked an elaborate military career and resigned in disgrace in 1985? He claimed to be a highly decorated Air Force veteran of the Korean and Viet Nam Wars with the rank of colonel. The Arizona Republic had been hammering Tom Collins, the Maricopa County Attorney, pretty heavily at the time and Collins found out was about to publicly expose his pretend military career so he resigned.

Best not to make political enemies when you got your own skeletons in the closet. I still remember the t-shirts and bumper stickers that said, "I Flew with The Duke".

Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 AM

83 posts, read 311,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
LOL oh I have memories of it...about one years worth. The one thing I definitely learned there (learned other things too) was that cleanliness was next to godliness...the girls cleaned that entire school...any former alumnus out there remember 'scrub week'? Behavior 'deterrents' used back then would be illegal today but maybe if 'deterrents' actually made kids think about what they did maybe we'd have better behaved kids today. Anyway, I don't have anything historical to add but I do have tales.
When did you go there? My grand mother Margarette taught home economics there.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:02 PM

201 posts, read 546,427 times
Blue light specials at Kmart and a red Slurpee on a hot summer evening.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:09 PM

201 posts, read 546,427 times
I remember the smell and taste of indian fry bread at the Arizona State Fair with honey. I remember finding a $20.00 dollar bill near the rides. Back then a $20.00 dollar bill was a lot of money to a kid. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area