Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 AM

8 posts, read 31,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
While rooting through some old clippings, I found this, from a Jaycees' program. (My mom was with the Jaydettes, the womens' auxiliary.) The article's narrative is included. Rio Vista, Edison and Whittier are mentioned Whittier's Reading Center has no caption... it was off to the side. Circa April 1960.
Here are some photos regarding Edison including the original building - it was torn down in the early 1980's.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-edison-original-building.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-edison-old-building.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-edison-faculty-1954.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-edison-1st-graduating-class-may-1949  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:49 AM

8 posts, read 31,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDPHX View Post
Here are some photos regarding Edison including the original building - it was torn down in the early 1980's.

Here are some more
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-edison-1st-graduating-class-1949.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-edison-school-handbook-1958-59_cover.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-edison-front.jpg  

Old 02-14-2011, 12:04 PM

201 posts, read 545,956 times
Thanks Desertratz!!!

Old 02-14-2011, 01:50 PM

362 posts, read 1,702,247 times
Default Papago Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk nervig View Post
Can somebody tell me what the "steps" carved into the butte on Mc Dowell are, and why it was done?
Heres a long shot looking Southeast.
If you want to get out and walk it, you have to approach from the west on McDowell. Watch for the tiny strip of parking spaces on your right -don't drive past or you're screwed, and you'll have to go all the way to 64th street and turn around-twice. Tricky but worth it. Great view of the NE valley from up there.

Just ask Hubb Capp and the boys.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-papago-park-30-.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-hubb-capp-ppark.jpg  

Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM

24,327 posts, read 13,182,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Heres a long shot looking Southeast.
If you want to get out and walk it, you have to approach from the west on McDowell. Watch for the tiny strip of parking spaces on your right -don't drive past or you're screwed, and you'll have to go all the way to 64th street and turn around-twice. Tricky but worth it. Great view of the NE valley from up there.

Just ask Hubb Capp and the boys.
I hadn't thought about Hub Kapp (one of Pat McMahon's many characters) and the Wheels in a very long time (maybe when Ladmo sadly passed in 94). Thanks for that blast from the past.

"Work, work, dirty word, the dirtiest word I ever heard..."

Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 AM

427 posts, read 1,188,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Warwick View Post
It was at the time located at the bottom of a mountain on 19th and Cactus.I was a busboy in 1977 at the age of fifteen.Lenny often worked behind the line while his brother Conrad would work the floor.To this day,their roquefort dressing and sauteed mushrooms were the best I've tasted.Great steak and great atmosphere.For the life of me I can't remember the name of that little mountain range.

Oh yes...that was my dinner there...petit filet w/ sauteed mushrooms, baked potato w/ butter on the side and salad w/ roquefort...it was heaven and it seems like when they first opened in about what...74-75 that dinner was about $4. My girlfriends and I would get together up in the loft enjoying pitchers of margaritas...way too many of them...it's a wonder they didn't throw us out as we were known to get a little loud. Do you know if it's still open? If so I think maybe I'll have to see if their food is still as good these days. Great memories.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:51 AM

427 posts, read 1,188,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
that little mountain range is just one part of the adventurously-named North Phoenix Mountains range....the just plain Phoenix Mountains range includes the Squaw Peak area and east to Mummy Mountain and Camelback Mountain
I was thinking North Mountain

Old 02-15-2011, 09:33 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,633,465 times
As we approach the 300,000th view, here are some more photos that may spur some discussion.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-court.jpg

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-strand.jpg

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-good-sam.jpg

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-rialto.jpg

Old 02-15-2011, 01:20 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Oh yes...that was my dinner there...petit filet w/ sauteed mushrooms, baked potato w/ butter on the side and salad w/ roquefort...it was heaven and it seems like when they first opened in about what...74-75 that dinner was about $4. My girlfriends and I would get together up in the loft enjoying pitchers of margaritas...way too many of them...it's a wonder they didn't throw us out as we were known to get a little loud. Do you know if it's still open? If so I think maybe I'll have to see if their food is still as good these days. Great memories.
No, Lenny Monti's has been gone for a long time... funny, that same dinner (minus the mushrooms... not that I don't like them, I just didn't get them) was my meal of choice at La Casa Vieja in the 70's. My friend and I were there often enough, and often had the same waitress -- she'd just walk up and ask if we were having "the usual" and off she'd go to the kitchen.

La Casa Vieja is still good food.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:46 PM

201 posts, read 545,956 times
Does Hugh Downs from ABC TV's program 20/20 still live in the Valley of the Sun? We used to hear him flying gliders out north of Phoenix near lake Plesant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area