Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 PM

285 posts, read 904,334 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember the Bayless museum on the north side of W Indian School Rd, between Central Ave and Third Ave ?
My sister would take me in there and I was just blown away from all of the old stuff that was on display, such as the recording of Edison reciting "Mary had a Little Lamb".

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrey heights View Post
Yep, the pic is from my Westown web site here:

WesTown Shopping Center
And the star pattern sign is still there too, minus the WesTown reference, now a church.

Last edited by desertskies; 02-22-2011 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: WesTown ref
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 05:35 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Anyone remember the Bayless museum on the north side of W Indian School Rd, between Central Ave and Third Ave ?
My sister would take me in there and I was just blown away from all of the old stuff that was on display, such as the recording of Edison reciting "Mary had a Little Lamb".

And the star pattern sign is still there too, minus the WesTown reference, now a church.
Here is a photo of the store. I liked the metal coffin the best with the ripped up satin under the lid, the sign said the woman was buried alive.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-bayless-country-store.jpg

Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 AM

3 posts, read 12,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the funky phoenician View Post
i do have one question though - what was the zoo called that was on 7th street around maryland or 12th street - rossi's was on 7th street and maryland so it may have been south of there.....i think. hey thanks so much for the memories, native - age 54
Dunno if someone already responded since I just joined yesterday and this post is older. But it was Jungle Park Zoo.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:11 AM

3 posts, read 12,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
also remember the Cine Capri on 24th street and indian school road ..I saw starwars there for the first time when i came back from the military and my mom was liveing down in Phx takeing care of my grandmother..

I remember flying into the old airport and it beening one building and it termial two i think with it flat roof and nothing else or flying into Williams Air base out in the middle of nowhere and my mom comeing and picking me up from the base ..
The original Cine Capri was on 24th & Camelback. I too saw Star Wars there. I remember watching them build it and later, watching them tear it down. (Grumble).

National Geographic had a nice spread on "the new $1 Million dollar terminal" at Sky Harbor in 1953. Worked there as a kid in the 60's washing dishes for SkyChefs.

I am amazed at and grateful for all the incredible topics contained here-in. I love a big dose of nostalgia every now and then. Thanks all.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 AM

18 posts, read 88,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinkingDesert View Post
Surrey, Great web sites you have created, I visit them often.
The Chis-town site is my favorite. Thanks for taking the time to compile so much information and sharing them with the rest of us.
Thanks, Shrink. I'm so glad you are enjoying the sites.

The Legend City site seems to be the most popular one, but the Chris-Town site is my favorite as well. We only went to Legend City a few times, but we were at Chris-Town all the time for many years. Probably my all-time favorite place growing up in Phoenix. So many memories...

Old 02-23-2011, 12:10 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,758 times
Default mmmmm...coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
On the corner was the great Coffee Pot drive in that is pictured in numerous books and TV. It was torn down so Bayless could have a larger parking lot.?
Delicious Goody Goody Sandwiches!
Check out how the doors all open up to create an "alfresco" style thingy. Cool.

Getting back to the AJ Bayless "museum" its one of my first memories of living here as a kid in the early '60s. Sadly, as has been reported here, the entire mall was leveled just last year including the Arizona Art Supply which stood there for a very long time. Best place in town by far to buy art supplies.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-coffee-pot-c.jpg  

Old 02-23-2011, 12:19 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,758 times
Default J.B. Bayless store #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Below is a pic of the old J.B. Bayless store #7 at 7th & Roosevelt. Now converted into shops or other businesses.
Heres a shot I took in 2009
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-bayless-j.b.-store-7.jpg  

Old 02-23-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Delicious Goody Goody Sandwiches!
Check out how the doors all open up to create an "alfresco" style thingy. Cool.
That is one rare real photo postcard; even I have never seen it before. Do you own it?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Heres a shot I took in 2009
I take it that south across Garfield Street is the old Upton's restaurant and ice cream plant. I think there was a house next to your photo that a strange former ballerina and dance instructor lived and gave lessons. I think her name was Dorothy Hamilton.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolman View Post
Dunno if someone already responded since I just joined yesterday and this post is older. But it was Jungle Park Zoo.
Back in 1970 there was a Tropic Gardens art gallery and zoo. A little north was the Jungle Park Pet Store, did they have a zoo too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area