Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 PM

201 posts, read 546,216 times

Advertisements

If Im not mistaken Mrs Reagan's Mother (Edith Davis) was a long time resident of Phoenix living at the Biltmore area north of Camelback Rd and east of 24th Street. The President and First Lady visited the Valley of the Sun quite often to see her prior to her passing away in 1987. They visited mostly when Mr. Reagan was Governor of California (1967-1975).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 01:47 PM

283 posts, read 882,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
The Concorde ( British Airways I believe) also landed at Sky Harbor and departed on the north runway 26R towards the west... It was in the city to pick up passengers for an exclusive charter trip. Ill try to find some photos of both events and see how to load them here...
I didn't see the Concorde land but I got to see it take off. I was headed to work at the old Garrett Aerospace and the HoHoKam Expressway (SR143) was a parking lot with everyone standing outside their cars to watch. (May as well join them since I'm trapped and gonna be late for work.) I was on the south end of the Salt River bridge, so I was fairly close by.

When that thing launched out of Sky Harbor heading east on full afterburners, it sounded like a space shuttle launch. I can see why they didn't like it flying over the continental U.S. that often. I heard that New York would only let them take off over water headed out to sea.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:07 PM

25 posts, read 74,028 times
Does anyone have photos of AJ Bayless markets? I wonder if the Bayless family has any? Are they still in the valley (The Family)? Worked at the one at 16th St and Camelback in the mid-70's. Time was taking a toll on the building at that time but it was for sure some good times. One of my favorite places to eat was the Coco's at the Colonade. I believe it sat right about where the North bound lanes are now on the SR 51 and Camelback. Smitty's Big Town at the Colonade was a good place to grab lunch when attending Camelback High. The Food Bazar was neat as well. Biltmore Fashion Park was classy then, now it is half empty. What was the name of the hotel accross the street at the NW corner of 24th and Camelback? DeVry was located pretty close to the now gone Cine Capri. Use to get a quick 9 holes in as a pre-teen at the small golf course at 18th st and highland. Boots (nightclub) was located in the Colonade Mall. Thrifty Drugs was also located there.
Took Karate lessons at Tom Conners Kenpo Karate on like 42nd st and Indian School. Use to shoot off fire works on the 4th at Squaw Peak Park....Good times, Yes indeed! Now your turn to share

Old 02-21-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
If Im not mistaken Mrs Reagan's Mother (Edith Davis) was a long time resident of Phoenix living at the Biltmore area north of Camelback Rd and east of 24th Street. The President and First Lady visited the Valley of the Sun quite often to see her prior to her passing away in 1987. They visited mostly when Mr. Reagan was Governor of California (1967-1975).

When Mr. Reagan landed at Granada park he was President and yes it was Nancy's mother, you are correct. Took a drive through the Biltmore recently. They sure over built back in what was once a nice community for the well-off. When that chopper landed at the park it was so strange the Media wasn't around. Must have been kept on the low down.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:01 PM

201 posts, read 546,216 times
There was an AJ Bayless Market at 27th Ave and Camelback but I dont recall the others really well.. I remember Smittys as that was one of my first jobs bagging groceries. I may have some really old photos of AJ Bayless. Ill take a look.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
There was an AJ Bayless Market at 27th Ave and Camelback but I dont recall the others really well.. I remember Smittys as that was one of my first jobs bagging groceries. I may have some really old photos of AJ Bayless. Ill take a look.
Yeah at first it was a Low-Cost and then a Bayless but just for a short time. Now it is the Home of Savers. Yuck! yeah if you have photos Aviator that would be great!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM

593 posts, read 1,413,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinkingDesert View Post
Does anyone have photos of AJ Bayless markets?
After my grandma passed away, I was going through her things (she was a big pack rat) and found a bunch of playing cards (maybe for bridge? She was a big bridge player back in the day) that were still sealed and had the AJ Bayless markets logo on them and a little cartoon drawing on the backs of the cards. They were a double deck of cards in a flocked holder with gold lettering. Very classy.

Do you remember Tang's Imports that used to be at Town & Country? I used to love that place as a kid.

I was on a road trip to Missouri a couple years ago and passed through a town somewhere along the way that had a Smitty's!! It was really shocking, I thought they had gone out of business, I guess they left the Phoenix area like so many other businesses did.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,053 times
Default Good Shepherd convent

Roosevelt mentioned having a history of this place. I would like to read it.
As a child I lived across the street from the convent. It always fascinated me. I got to visit once, going along when my father was asked to inspect a leak in the basement.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:13 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,083,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
I was on a road trip to Missouri a couple years ago and passed through a town somewhere along the way that had a Smitty's!! It was really shocking, I thought they had gone out of business, I guess they left the Phoenix area like so many other businesses did.

I originally found city-data.com and this thread at the same time while googling around for info on Smitty's......somewhere way, way back in this now-huge thread is this link, which I'm repeating, with the incredibly fantastic memories of many employees and customers of Smitty's....it's a must-read when you have a couple hours to kill!.....somewhere in it is the story of Clyde Smith opening up a Smitty's (in Missouri?) after he sold here in Phoenix....might be what scratch is mentioning....

Paradox Unbound: Remembering Smitty's

Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,489,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinkingDesert View Post
Does anyone have photos of AJ Bayless markets? I wonder if the Bayless family has any? Are they still in the valley (The Family)? Worked at the one at 16th St and Camelback in the mid-70's. Time was taking a toll on the building at that time but it was for sure some good times. One of my favorite places to eat was the Coco's at the Colonade. I believe it sat right about where the North bound lanes are now on the SR 51 and Camelback. Smitty's Big Town at the Colonade was a good place to grab lunch when attending Camelback High. The Food Bazar was neat as well. Biltmore Fashion Park was classy then, now it is half empty. What was the name of the hotel accross the street at the NW corner of 24th and Camelback? DeVry was located pretty close to the now gone Cine Capri. Use to get a quick 9 holes in as a pre-teen at the small golf course at 18th st and highland. Boots (nightclub) was located in the Colonade Mall. Thrifty Drugs was also located there.
Took Karate lessons at Tom Conners Kenpo Karate on like 42nd st and Indian School. Use to shoot off fire works on the 4th at Squaw Peak Park....Good times, Yes indeed! Now your turn to share

Biltmore Fashion Park half empty?? It must be in a part I'm never in, and that wouldn't be half of it, i don't think.

You may be thinking of Arizona Manor (the hotel).

The Bayless family, or members of it, are still around. Betsey Bayless, one of AJ's daughters, has held several high positions in state and county government. I know she has at least one sibling, I don't know how many are still in the Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area