Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 10:05 AM

83 posts, read 311,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
No not Tower Plaza. This place was on the north side of Thomas and the building, if I recall correctly, looked similar to the photo Roosevelt posted. This was back in the mid-late 50's and early 60's.

Ah, well that pre dates me being established, circa 1972.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 AM

155 posts, read 477,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
No not Tower Plaza. This place was on the north side of Thomas and the building, if I recall correctly, looked similar to the photo Roosevelt posted. This was back in the mid-late 50's and early 60's.
I remember watching the roadrunners practice at the ice rink at Tower Plaza in the back towards the east end. They had junior league hockey tornaments for kids there also. I remember kids moving from the east to town and talking hockey and us local native kids asking "what's hockey?" We thought they were a bunch of sissies ice skating around.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I got it wrong, Rollerland was on 23rd Ave. and Thomas.

Rollerdrome was on 29th Street and McDowell.

The oldest roller rink I can think of was where Brunk's Auction was on 7th Street south of Indian School.

If anyone remembers Beaty's Playpark on 1st Street and Roosevelt you are older than dirt.
Yeah Roosey, that pic is of Rollerdrome west of the canal on the north side of Mcdowell. It had the round roof like in the pic. My mom would drop my sister and I off there for the afternoon in the summer cuz it was halfway cool inside. They had circles with numbers on the rink floor and would have a drawing a couple times a day. If you swere standing on the the number they called out, you got a free pass or a coke. Was a big deal to a 6 year old in 1961.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 AM

Anyone remember a riding stables west of 32nd St. on the south side of McDowell in the early 60's? I remember it being next to the canal so people could rent a horse and ride along the canal all day. I thought it was directly across from the RED Devil Pizza on McDowell. I think they later moved it up to the Papago Park area because of encroachment of businesses and homes and complaints about flies and smell. People used to ride their horses right into the canals to cool them off before they lined the canals with concrete. Of course people kept riding into the canals and SRP had to bring out a crane with a special sling to get the horse out of the canal because of the concrete. The canals back then were great places on a hot summer day because of the huge cottonwoods and the (relatively) cool air from the water in the canal. We used to regularly see people waterskiing in the canals being pulled by a car or pickup along the bank. Things were alot different then no doubt

Old 02-02-2011, 12:26 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
Anyone remember a riding stables west of 32nd St. on the south side of McDowell in the early 60's? I remember it being next to the canal so people could rent a horse and ride along the canal all day. I thought it was directly across from the RED Devil Pizza on McDowell. I think they later moved it up to the Papago Park area because of encroachment of businesses and homes and complaints about flies and smell. People used to ride their horses right into the canals to cool them off before they lined the canals with concrete. Of course people kept riding into the canals and SRP had to bring out a crane with a special sling to get the horse out of the canal because of the concrete. The canals back then were great places on a hot summer day because of the huge cottonwoods and the (relatively) cool air from the water in the canal. We used to regularly see people waterskiing in the canals being pulled by a car or pickup along the bank. Things were alot different then no doubt
Speaking of old canals with no cement, here is the Arizona Canal being scraped, I don't know if that means building it or cleaning it. Gov't picture.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-az-canal-scraping.jpg

Old 02-02-2011, 12:33 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
I don't remember it ever being at 32nd, but if it moved to the Papago Park area, it was Weldon's Rdiing Stable, later to be famous, (or infamous) when a young woman was kidnapped nearby and horrifically murdered in the Superstitions by someone who worked there and an accomplice.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:45 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,875 times
Default Arizona Canal

Heres another. I think that's Roosevelt in the foreground with the palo verde branches. Zing!
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-az-canal_1863.jpg  

Last edited by Westside Willie; 02-02-2011 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-02-2011, 12:59 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I got it wrong, Rollerland was on 23rd Ave. and Thomas.

Rollerdrome was on 29th Street and McDowell.

The oldest roller rink I can think of was where Brunk's Auction was on 7th Street south of Indian School.

If anyone remembers Beaty's Playpark on 1st Street and Roosevelt you are older than dirt.

There was one down in south Phoenix too...Skateland I think...up about Central and Roeser.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:06 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,385 times
Quote:

I don't remember the one on 32nd/Mcdowell but I worked at one out Van Buren towards the Buttes...I was in high school so I think it was about '69. Trail rides were led out through the desert w/ the Buttes in the background. I think a man named Ray Kady owned the stable. I can't remember the name of it. Maybe on the north side of Van Buren...going towards Tempe...before the river...close to the go carts???? At one time there was a palm reader located out on Van Buren somewhere near the stable too.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:33 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
I don't remember the one on 32nd/Mcdowell but I worked at one out Van Buren towards the Buttes...I was in high school so I think it was about '69. Trail rides were led out through the desert w/ the Buttes in the background. I think a man named Ray Kady owned the stable. I can't remember the name of it. Maybe on the north side of Van Buren...going towards Tempe...before the river...close to the go carts???? At one time there was a palm reader located out on Van Buren somewhere near the stable too.
That was Weldon's, the name of the owner may have been different by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area