Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 07:41 AM

427 posts, read 1,188,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
Speaking of hospitals and I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I can vaguely remember the County hospital in a location other than where it is now...my mother says it was at 22nd and Durango...any one have photos of this?
I remember it was still down there in '67...i don't know why i know this as i don't remember being there but i know the walls were green...guess i must've been there but can't remember it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 AM

427 posts, read 1,188,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I used to hang out in the Wagon Wheel bowling alley as a high-schooler. I remember playing some really old wooden creaky pinball machine in there, and there was a HUGE poster next to it warning of the Phoenix city curfew for minors, something I was completely unaware of. The Gooney Golf was on the south side of Thomas, between Tower Plaza and Thomas Mall, I think, and was open late enough to be a popular date spot. The landmark there was a big concrete, somewhat unrealistic Tyrannosaurus Rex, whose eyes were two red floodlight bulbs and was painted various unflattering colors (purple, green, pink) during its time on Earth. I remember the Woolco well. Jerry's was Jerry's circa 1975, I remember going there after an awards banquet in high school with a guy named Jerry and commenting on it. It may have been a Sambo's before that and changed its name as times changed.
We had a curfew? What year was that? I don't remember this...think it was something that all but the teens knew?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 AM

283 posts, read 881,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
I remember it was still down there in '67...i don't know why i know this as i don't remember being there but i know the walls were green...guess i must've been there but can't remember it.
Can't find any pics as of yet, but here is some history of the place from their website.

History of Maricopa Medical Center – Maricopa Medical Center Surgery Trauma Center

Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,481,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
We had a curfew? What year was that? I don't remember this...think it was something that all but the teens knew?
That would have been about 1972 or 1973.

We still have a curfew, but I doubt many kids know about it:

JUVENILE CURFEW PROGRAM (http://phoenix.gov/youth/curfew.html - broken link)

Curfew
Daily curfew hours for the city of Phoenix are from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. for children 15 years old and younger and midnight to 5 a.m. for 16 and 17 years old. Curfew hours apply seven days a week year round. Children that are on legitimate business authorized by a parent or guardian, or in the care and custody of another adult, are not in violation of the curfew ordinance. Phoenix city ordinance code (pcc 22-3) places responsibility on parents and guardians to supervise their juvenile children and to take custody of them if they violate curfew.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
"If ever you are unsatisfied with one of our tires... please feel free to bring it back... Thank you! Discount Tire Company." Remember the old lady that used to heave the tire into the front pane glass and break the window. Love it! My Dad still loves that one too.
They're still running that ad. I think it was filmed here (is Discount Tire a national chain?) The mountain in the background looks familiar, like the Twin Buttes or Camelback, but I can never tell.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
They're still running that ad. I think it was filmed here (is Discount Tire a national chain?) The mountain in the background looks familiar, like the Twin Buttes or Camelback, but I can never tell.
Huh. After posting that, I looked up the ad on YouTube, some comments say it is America's longest running ad. Discount started in Michigan, but one of the posters says it was filmed near Metrocenter in 1975, which was just being constructed, and that the mountain in the background is Shaw Butte. Another poster said it is the owner of Discount (Mr. Halle) dressed as an old lady.

Another YouTube poster: "I live down the street from this location. There is still a Discount Tire there. If that was filmed today. You would not see so far off in the distance and see that mountain. There are many trees, other store buildings and the Metro Center Mall. Back then, that was truely on the outskirts of the north end of phoenix. Now it is almost center of town. WOW."

Here's an article about the ad, which is in the Guinness Book of Records. It confirms it was filmed in Arizona:

Classic Discount Tire Commercial Earns Guinness World Record for Longest Running TV Commercial and Makes It into the 50th Anniversary Book | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET

And here's the ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QjTIm-vSKg

Probably more than you wanted to know, but it's another obscure bit of Phoenix history we all mostly remember...

Old 01-30-2011, 11:27 AM

7,196 posts, read 9,268,784 times
Quote:
Huh. After posting that, I looked up the ad on YouTube, some comments say it is America's longest running ad. Discount started in Michigan, but one of the posters says it was filmed near Metrocenter in 1975, which was just being constructed, and that the mountain in the background is Shaw Butte. Another poster said it is the owner of Discount (Mr. Halle) dressed as an old lady.

Another YouTube poster: "I live down the street from this location. There is still a Discount Tire there. If that was filmed today. You would not see so far off in the distance and see that mountain. There are many trees, other store buildings and the Metro Center Mall. Back then, that was truely on the outskirts of the north end of phoenix. Now it is almost center of town. WOW."

Here's an article about the ad, which is in the Guinness Book of Records. It confirms it was filmed in Arizona:

Classic Discount Tire Commercial Earns Guinness World Record for Longest Running TV Commercial and Makes It into the 50th Anniversary Book | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET

And here's the ad:

Probably more than you wanted to know, but it's another obscure bit of Phoenix history we all mostly remember...
cool. That looks like Shaw Butte from Metro alright. The second poster was correct as well. The north side of Metro filled in with all kinds of trees and stores.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:14 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,634,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Yes. The Loan Arranger was on TV. The chubby chick was named.. " Carlotta Sales"...lol.
Is that the commercial when the girl would say, "Who was that masked man?" in a little girl's voice?

Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,525,152 times
Quote:

And here's the ad:

Wow. Ya learn somethin' new every day....

Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 PM

83 posts, read 311,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Can't find any pics as of yet, but here is some history of the place from their website.

History of Maricopa Medical Center – Maricopa Medical Center Surgery Trauma Center
I spent 4 months in the burn center at county in 2007. I would get up in the middle of the night and roam the hospital. If you went through back entrance to the burn center you could see all the prisoners chained to a bench waiting to see doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area