Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 06:05 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
Got his voice mail.
Maybe he was the puppet ghost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 06:22 AM

155 posts, read 478,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Whenever the canals were drained there was a free-for-all to claim the findings on the bottom. These included catfish, crawdads, various treasures such as shopping carts and lawnmowers, but occasionally a crime scene would also be discovered. Early 70s (1970 or 1971?), near present-day Chapparal Road as it crosses the canal near Miller, a female skeleton was found, bound with wire and weighted to keep it on the bottom. Freaked us kids out; my grandmother lived about two blocks west on Rancho Vista. Ironically another much higher profile murder took place a few yeas later about one block west... any guesses as to the celebrity's identity?
The annual draining of the canals was instant fun for any boy in Phoenix as we took our Daisy Red Riders out for target practice on the hapless carp and catfish wiggling in the shallow waters. The spot just above Thomas Rd on the new crosscut canal ,roughly 62nd st, always had about 2 foot of water left so the fish congregated there and the some folks would bring pitch forks and wash tubs and impale thousands of fish, mainly carp, to take home for dinner fare I assume. I remember the tubs full of carp and bloody water as we watched the action.

Last edited by Donalumni; 02-03-2011 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-03-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
Yep, 2nd best in the nation actually.
That's what the medic told me when I sat up out of the gurney and said " no, don't take me to county! I have health insurance!"

Later I found out it was true!
The burn center at county hospital has, for a long time, been highly rated in the nation. My father, an SRP employee, spent quite some time there from being burned badly when the transformer room at Stewart Mtn. Dam exploded during the flood of 1980. He and two others (one died, Larry Vargas) were medivaced by National Guard heli to the burn center. The doctors told me they were rated tops in the nation. They did one helluva a great job on my father.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
Bob Crane....c'mon, Sluggo, you gotta make it harder than that!!!

and you can google for the exact apartment number...it's a minor tourist attraction!
Made it easy for those who don't remember the 70s... and a lot of folks my age don't.

Anyone ever see Bob Crane during the short run of "Beginner's Luck" at the Windmill Dinner Theater before his death?

Last edited by SluggoF16; 02-03-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 AM

83 posts, read 311,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
The burn center at county hospital has, for a long time, been highly rated in the nation. My father, an SRP employee, spent quite some time there from being burned badly when the transformer room at Stewart Mtn. Dam exploded during the flood of 1980. He and two others (one died, Larry Vargas) were medivaced by National Guard heli to the burn center. The doctors told me they were rated tops in the nation. They did one helluva a great job on my father.
Yea, they sure took care of me. It was kind of hard listening to the screaming little kids on the first floor ( the burn units ICU/CCU).

There is a unique smell to the place too. The strong odor of Xeroform and burn ointment instantly make me remember being there as a patient.

I have gone back occasionally to visit the nurses and doctors as well as talk to patients.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,971 times
Hi and Thanks for the update. My husband and I were recently in Phx and I drove past the area and saw there is a school in that building now. Sunnyslope still looks pretty much the same, except most of the vacant lots now have apartment buildings on them now. I keep hearing how people should stay out of Sunnyslope and being back there makes me wonder why, it didn't look any different then when I grew up there. Eye of the beholder right?? Take care and Thanks again

Old 02-03-2011, 02:47 PM

115 posts, read 291,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Whenever the canals were drained there was a free-for-all to claim the findings on the bottom. These included catfish, crawdads, various treasures such as shopping carts and lawnmowers, but occasionally a crime scene would also be discovered. Early 70s (1970 or 1971?), near present-day Chapparal Road as it crosses the canal near Miller, a female skeleton was found, bound with wire and weighted to keep it on the bottom. Freaked us kids out; my grandmother lived about two blocks west on Rancho Vista. Ironically another much higher profile murder took place a few yeas later about one block west... any guesses as to the celebrity's identity?
Ahh the annual Canal dry up, what great memories I have of those days. I didn't take my BB gun there instead I took my bow and arrows and shot Carp and Catfish and brought them home until my Mom said ENOUGH. I would spend every spare minute in the canals and come home smelling like I had waded in the sewer. It was a grand time.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:51 PM

427 posts, read 1,187,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedGlory View Post
Ahh the annual Canal dry up, what great memories I have of those days. I didn't take my BB gun there instead I took my bow and arrows and shot Carp and Catfish and brought them home until my Mom said ENOUGH. I would spend every spare minute in the canals and come home smelling like I had waded in the sewer. It was a grand time.
In about '60 Hohokam Elementary School in Scottsdale would flood irrigate the fields. It was usually on a Saturday and every kid in the neighborhood would grab a bucket and run down hoping to catch a catfish...I never did...I was sure envious of those who did...not sure why tho.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:53 PM

427 posts, read 1,187,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
You guys are wearing my bloodshot research eyes out.

Weldon's was started in 1930 and went through multiple owners. Richardson was from the 50's so by 1970 there was probably another owner or operator. Here are some more stables in 1970: Papago Stables, Simmons, ABC Ranch, Ponderosa, Cactus, All Western, Booth's, Bend In, De Witt, E Bar, McDaniel, and that is only a sample; lot's of them were operating.
But you do such nice work taking us all down memory lane. Heckuva hobby!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
In about '60 Hohokam Elementary School in Scottsdale would flood irrigate the fields. It was usually on a Saturday and every kid in the neighborhood would grab a bucket and run down hoping to catch a catfish...I never did...I was sure envious of those who did...not sure why tho.
Yeah, we would take pieces of plywood and make skim boards to go irrigation surfing at Tonalea school in Scottsdale. I remember going to track meets at Hohokam. Was that school over on Oak and like 87th st?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area