Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 02:36 AM

53 posts, read 167,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Lee

This one's for you. Johns Green gables. c. 1950
I tasted lobster for the first time at Green Gables...I think it was 1971....so good...remember the big plastic bull outside of Christown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Hey, I went to high school early 1950's with this guy on the horse. I do not remember his name but had lunch with him once at the Chili Pepper, a Mexican dive on McDowell and 12th Street. The bill was probably about 75 cents for two of us; he left a $1 tip and said he made a lot of money at Green Gables parking cars.

As we left the Chili Pepper restaurant there was a sign 'see our kitchen' so we went to the parking lot that way; there were cockroaches all over the ceiling.
whoa I'm glad I never ate at the Chili Pepper....used to love the original Garcia's on 35 ave.the best food..too bad that neighborhood is not safe anymore.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Heck I remember tubing down Marlette Ave (west side at 43rd Ave) after the rainstorms. Who needs the verde river?
I remember the water being up to our knees after a storm..hated it when one hit while we were at the Drive-In cuz that meant the show was over.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
OMFG - I forgot about Kurt the Klown. Wow what a mind bender -thanx a load.

How about Aquanetta? Aquanetta anybody... married to Jack Ross the Lincoln Merc dealer - B movie actress.
totally remember drama queen Aquanetta didn't they play a song called they used to call me Mr. Football when they ran their commercials? also who was the kid show host that was in the middle of the thalidomide scandal?

Old 03-07-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
[i]

That would be the Fox Theater at 11 S. First Ave.

Sadly it was demolished in 1975

It disgraceful how Phoenix has leveled so many historic gems like this

Here it is.
my sister worked the ticket window at the Fox while in high school and I spent enuf time there to take up residence...we would sit in the balcony & throw junior mints over board...so if anybody got hit...I'm sorry.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:56 AM

10 posts, read 33,917 times
i have only read a few pages but the memories are abundant - i came looking to find out information about the notorious pink sidewalk. i think i was there once but was on mescaline i believe and only remember a small pueblo ruin - hell it might have not been anywhere near the pink sidewalk. i was raised at central and camelback, right behind camelback towers which used to be called tony bell before they erected the towers. we used to use a clothes hanger to get in the back emergency exit so we could roam the halls and ride the elevator but it was never long before the security guard caught us. how about serendipity or the donut shop, both close to highland on central. swiping pomegranates, ditch em and beetle bopping kept us busy in our neighborhood. mmmm sunday drives down to baseline where we could roll down our windows and smell all the flowers. bob at bob's big boy, another central adornment and also serving my favorite, the hot fudge sundae served in those tall silver cups with the long spoons - now that was a treat. yes there was a super slide on indian school - i had forgotten about that which is amazing as i think i still have scars from the friction burns, lol. horseback riding at...was it cactus stables? christown the big mall and cruising boys. park central at christmas and their moving window displays. hmmm having sex at park central in a car on the top of the parking garage - i think it was a goldwater. drag racing on beardsley cuz there was nothing there. boondockers where someone always fell into the fire. the knight on the white horse at green gables where they also had the best goofy golf. cruising central, omg for years. i have millions of wonderful memories thanks to phoenix and i haven't stopped yet. i do have one question though - what was the zoo called that was on 7th street around maryland or 12th street - rossi's was on 7th street and maryland so it may have been south of there.....i think. hey thanks so much for the memories, native - age 54

Old 03-07-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Can some one remind me where the heck Nelsons Pool was ??
I think I remember Nelson's pool at 19th Ave & Highland

Old 03-07-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Osborn and about 17th Ave
17th and osborn was a private swim club

Old 03-07-2010, 06:17 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy butler View Post
I think I remember Nelson's pool at 19th Ave & Highland
Nelson's Swimming Pool was at 1843 West Turney Ave. If you would really like to call them their phone number is AMhurst 5-7062 in the twilight zone.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,964 times
OMG, We used to hang at Nelsons pool every summer during high scool. What a fun time with those huge innertubes. I grew up in phx in the 60's in the Maryvalle area. it still looks the same pretty much in that area of 43-51st avenue at Thomas to Indian School road. Anyone remember Ben Franklins, that where I spent my allowance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area