Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 09:56 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
I remember when they still broadcast "live" radio at the original Bill Johnson's restaraunt on Van Buren and you could watch them as you had some great ribs!

I remember when I got my polio shot at Creighton school (1958?)

I remember being sent home in 2nd grade from Davey Crockett school (located behind the Phoenix Drive In) the day JFK was asassinated.

I remember going to see Wallace and Ladmo (and Gerald) at Legend City.

I remember when the line of cars going to an ASU football game was backed up on Scottsdale Rd. to Indian School Rd. (early 70's?)

I remember dove hunting season when we took lawn chairs and sat behind the stockyard at 48th St. and the river bottom.

I remember terrorizing the Phoenix Zoo all summer because we could get in free (being under 12) and living within a mile or 2 of it.

I remember fishing at Papago Park all summer and pulling my wagon behind my Sting Ray bike loaded with all the needs for the day with my buddies.
Hey, I'm a Creighton alumni, too (6 - 8 grades, went to St. Marks Elementary before that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 09:58 PM

Found this website: All the Historical Markers in the state by county and location. Some odd ones in there:

Arizona Markers - The Historical Marker Database

Old 03-08-2010, 12:33 AM

53 posts, read 167,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Hey, I'm a Creighton alumni, too (6 - 8 grades, went to St. Marks Elementary before that).
you got a polio shot? we were lucky we got the vaccine in the form of sugar cubes.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:05 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Does anyone remember these two grocery stores? They were owned by the Tang family.

Click image for larger version

Name:	File0001_wm.jpg
Views:	2820
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	59233 East Van Buren

Click image for larger version

Name:	2_wm.jpg
Views:	2206
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	59234 South Central Ave.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
I remember the one on Van Buren.... it was there quite a long time, I think.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:57 AM

I remember going to the Joyland Market on Van Buren in high school (72-76),

Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 AM

283 posts, read 880,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy butler View Post
totally remember drama queen Aquanetta didn't they play a song called they used to call me Mr. Football when they ran their commercials? also who was the kid show host that was in the middle of the thalidomide scandal?

Sherri Finkbine was the host of Romper Room. The thalidomide thing with her was a whole 'nother can of worms. Go to this link to read about it. BBC ON THIS DAY | 26 | 1962: Abortion mother returns home

Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfrybaby View Post
My sister told me the Flume was a place the teens went in the 50s where water rushed along the canal and in one spot it went under a concrete bridge kind of and only the really brave ones would attempt it. They would jump in, hold there breath and the rushing water would shoot them out the other side after a bit. One of the reasons the city started covering the canals entirely.
my sister still went out to the flumes in the late 60s early 70s when she told me what is was like..I thought she was friggin crazy

Old 03-08-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
When the state was almost locked down after the Tison/Greenawalt family was on the loose...

Heres a page from the Republic after the shoot-out and capture of Ricky & Ray Tison plus Randy Greenawalt (who was executed: Jan. 23, 1997. )
Gary Tison died a horrible death succumbing to the elements of the desert in Chuichu, Ariz. The 3rd son (name?) died in the shoot-out. Read the whole story to get a taste of Az corruption at its best.

Amazon.com: Last Rampage: The Escape of Gary Tison (9780816519675): James W. Clarke: Books

Heres what the boys look like today.
I remember when the Tison's were on the run..we were up north camping..a car pulled up to the campground next to us..they had no equipment at all and 1 guy layed on the picnic table to sleep..I was so afraid it was the Tisons that I locked myself in the car to sleep, needless to say I didn't sleep at all they took off before dawn leaving me to wonder if we had a close call?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Speaking of restaurants, have we touched on Lazy Lou's?

Here's a pic. I believe this was the location near 27th Ave & Bethany-anybody?

I remember it had the most unusual candy vending machine. It was rather small and attached to wall down low so the kids could reach it. The candy bars were on display through a small glass window and you would crank this metal knob until your favorite bar was in position, drop in your 25 cents and push a button-it would fall out in your hands. Cool. If I live to be a million I'll never forget that candy machine.

Oh and I think they sold fish too.
Lazy Lou's definately sold fish..I think there is still one on the west side? I always ate at the Roosevelt location...best fish ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area