Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 05:01 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post

I never got to go to Ladmos - alas
I heard they had burgers the size of a 45 record. Any truth to that?
There was a small hamburger joint 1/2 block south of Emerson grammar school about 1950 that had a hamburger the owner called the flying saucer. I was the size of a 45rpm record and cost 25 cents. He used a giant bun so maybe Holsum or Rainbo bakeries made it for other restaurants too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 08:58 AM

92 posts, read 216,139 times
went to school and got married in phoenix....lived in tempe and mesa when they were separate communities from phoenix...lived in phoenix for awhile after getting married...remember tubing down the river and going up to the lakes for camping and skiing..remember the old Williams Field and driving out to the boonies and farms which were once chandler and queen creek...finally graduated from ASU and moved on....the thing i remember most is the terrible flooding in the 1970's that washed out many roads and made it almost impossible to go from one side of river to the other....really loved Crazy Ed's restaurant out in Deer Valley i think it was....they had the best ribs....burnt down i heard..

Old 03-05-2010, 08:50 PM

285 posts, read 905,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy butler View Post
I got to go to a live broadcast of the Wallace & Ladmo show with a friend but alas didn't get the prized Ladmo bag..who remember's Lew King's show where Wayne Newton got his start?
Never got to do the live broadcasts but was fortunate to catch a number of their ChrisTown theater shows.
No Ladmo bag here either.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:20 PM

966 posts, read 1,346,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Never got to do the live broadcasts but was fortunate to catch a number of their ChrisTown theater shows.
No Ladmo bag here either.
I saw them in Christown, Legend City, Wagon Wheels, and twice in the studio. Won 2 Ladmo Bags, first for lucky seat. I was there with my brother, who won a Ladmo Bag for funny picture. The other was for a hobby.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,635 times
Default The Newton Brothers

I totally remember the Lew King Show, I had a friend who danced on it. But I also remember the Newton Brothers performing together at a APS employee party! I always wondered what happened to Wayne's brother but you can look that up online.

Has anyone talked about the flumes yet, out west of town?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:06 PM

53 posts, read 167,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate9Bat View Post
I totally remember the Lew King Show, I had a friend who danced on it. But I also remember the Newton Brothers performing together at a APS employee party! I always wondered what happened to Wayne's brother but you can look that up online.

Has anyone talked about the flumes yet, out west of town?
Bunch of my friends & classmates and sister always went to the Flumes but I was too chicken...only swam in the canal once & that was cuz I was pushed in~do you remember Dawn O'Day from Lew King......she went to our school(West)...wild thing!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy butler View Post
WOW we went to school with Vince & have to admit did a little partying at his house one week-end before heading out to a boon-docker(I think he was dating Kathy Stevens at the time?)....I read of his death and felt so sad for him...
did you happen to know Paul Buys too? I've always wondered if drugs got the best of him also?

Old 03-07-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I found it, Reed Lumber and Hardware Co. 1442 E. Van Buren, from my 1946 telephone book.
do you also have phone books from the 60's?

Old 03-07-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I work with a lady who used to have "Desert Parties" in the 70's out near Tatum and Bell, apperently that area was completely undeveloped.
we used to have boon docker's off Happy Valley Rd which was also undeveloped...you could light a fire and raise hell undetected...so fun

Old 03-07-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Wow, great stories here.

Grape vineyards where Fashion Square is now (there was a Bayless and a Ryan-Evans drug store on that corner of Scottsdale and Camelback, the vineyards were just to the west).

Hamburgers ten for a dollar at the Ranch House at Scottsdale and Indian School.

Spudnuts.

The Bobs Big Boy at Central and Thomas.

Sandwiches at the University Drive In, Rural and University (delivered by carhops)

The RoundUp Drive In with the big neon cowboy sign. The Fox and Palms and Paramount( now the Orpheum) downtown.

The flaming Phoenix bird (the original statue) along Camelback by Town and Country.

Kiddieland.

A trip to Park Central to see the big Christmas tree.

The Japanese flower gardens. Another yearly ritual to go down there and look and smell that heady fragrance.

Thomas Mall when it was new....

Wallace and Ladmo show -- never missed it as a kid. Later went to high school (Scottsdale HS -- a great memory in itself) with Wallace's daughter.

The memory bank is still working... more later.
thanks for reminding me of the Palms & Paramount...I share a lot of your memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area