Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 07:57 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,476,621 times

Advertisements

An interesting museum of science and electronics in Glendale - their website has all kinds of interesting links and photos on Valley history as it relates to the many electronics and aerospace firms here -

Southwest Museum Of Engineering, Communications and Computation

[SIZE=4]- The Southwest Museum of Engineering, Communications and Computation, in Glen­dale, occupies 2,000 square feet of the Coury House, include a cross-sectional history on RCA products such as radios and electron microscopes; a rural electrification display that shows how American farms became electrified; an office-automation display with phone switchboards and Dictaphone machines, military communications, radar and countermeasures; and an early computer display that has some of the first computers.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 08:07 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,476,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Arizona Days and Ways is priceless - if you find a copy grab it. I have the 1962 edition -found it in a used book store. Its loaded with cool old vintage ads - hand drawn the old way.(Im an advertising graphic designer so this kind of stuff means a lot to me.) The coolest part is all the ads have the street addresses on then (of course) so you know where they were (are). Heres an example: McCoys Laundry @ 1624 E Washington. Last time I went by the building was still there.
I just found a copy on Amazon.com and ordered it! Thanks, Westside Willie! (They have 1 more copy for sale if anyone's interested.)

Old 08-27-2009, 11:20 PM

6 posts, read 22,024 times
I'd love to see photos of the PV mall food court from that era too. I have a bit of footage I posted from the old roller rink at metrocenter on youtube.

YouTube - Metrocenter Mall

You can see the Pizza D'Amore sign, etc.
Is Pizza D'Amore completely gone? I don't think I've tasted anything quite like it since but maybe it was just my young taste buds.

Here are a couple other super movies from that era that my brother and I posted:

YouTube - Super 8 Movies from the early 1980's: Arizona

YouTube - 80's Super 8 Film: "Psycho Killer"

Cool stuff. There is more....we just need to digitize the old reels

Best
Andrew

Old 08-27-2009, 11:31 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martineden73 View Post
I'd love to see photos of the PV mall food court from that era too. I have a bit of footage I posted from the old roller rink at metrocenter on youtube.

YouTube - Metrocenter Mall

You can see the Pizza D'Amore sign, etc.
Is Pizza D'Amore completely gone? I don't think I've tasted anything quite like it since but maybe it was just my young taste buds.

Here are a couple other super movies from that era that my brother and I posted:

YouTube - Super 8 Movies from the early 1980's: Arizona

YouTube - 80's Super 8 Film: "Psycho Killer"

Cool stuff. There is more....we just need to digitize the old reels

Best
Andrew
I grew up 2 miles away from Metrocenter, and used to ride my bicycle there all the time as a kid. Do you remember the big airplane over the ice rink. Takes me back LOL!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:35 PM

I totally remember the airplane!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 PM

I'd also love to see some photos of Shadow Mountain Roller Rink before it converted into the school.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:03 AM

Holy cow...just found this pic of Super Fun!

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/vOiamqEA7M-q2fBtrEc9gbLUN-1UwhRa58xxzXp4K*Jb3qPSYd*kp8AVMckn8IUln8BnrFlnz4Im 393SfVkJZdYMCbf6L2NE/superfun.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-28-2009, 10:24 AM

107 posts, read 423,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighMadman View Post
Last call on that twisted radio show I cited in my first post on page 73 -- and I bring it up here because one of its principal performers is also a top-selling realtor now ... there's never a hassle when selling with him ...
Guess I never heard that raunchy show. I do remember stations playing stuff like National Lampoon Radio and Firesign Theatre (saw them, or at least a couple of them, live at Gammage) late nights in the 70's.

But I'm thinking the performer you allude to must have been "Wonderful Russ."

Old 08-28-2009, 12:51 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,626,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I just found a copy on Amazon.com and ordered it! Thanks, Westside Willie! (They have 1 more copy for sale if anyone's interested.)
I have most of the early issues 1954 thru 1959; lots of photo ads of businesses.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:55 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,626,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
Guess I never heard that raunchy show. I do remember stations playing stuff like National Lampoon Radio and Firesign Theatre (saw them, or at least a couple of them, live at Gammage) late nights in the 70's.

But I'm thinking the performer you allude to must have been "Wonderful Russ."
I recall the Bob and Ray radio show, it was hilarious, much better than the later TV show, except for the one they did on mangling Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. I can still hear that ditzy blond with the Brooklyn accent saying, "I told him, beware the Ides of March already!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area