Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 07:49 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddollar5 View Post
I have lived here since1962. This use to be a Big, Little Country City. When my parents moved here Phoenix was only developed up to Dunlap Ave. Everything north of there was the starting of new developments. The thing I miss the most are the orange and grapefruit trees when they would go into bloom. The smell of orange blossoms is Awesome. I would find myself sniffing the air around Sept / Oct.. This city has always been of mixed culture and everyone got along for the most part. To be a kid in the 60's, and 70's was great. The big hang out was Encanto Park, and every Fri. & Sat. to curse Central Ave was really cool. Bob's Big Boy was the hang out on Central and cars would be in line for a several blocks waiting to get into the drive in, park, order and listen to the Beach Boys while waiting for your food.

It truly is sad to think so much innocense has left our city. We have more crime, not just because there are more people, but because of the issues that we are dealing with as a city. I never remember my parents complaining about our State Government, as we do today. There was a time that you could go outside as a kid at night and your parents didn't worry about danger lurking. We need to bring back the long lost Spirit of Phoenix. This is really a great city if we lived together and cared about each other like we did back then.

Phoenix is still a much better place to live than most, just wish things were a little different.
I've been here since 1958. Yes, it has changed as you describe. Most US cities have since then, particularly cities in the west. I'm an optimist by nature, but I know it will never be like it was again, in spirit, any more than it will ever look the same again. And that's sad to me, too. But, you make the best life you can, and surround yourself with people who do care about you, and it's a good place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 08:45 AM

220 posts, read 655,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
I was a 1946 model. I think they tore the hospital down right after I was born. I am not sure who the Doctor was but I think it was Dr. Stump. He had an office on East Van Buren, I thnk there was a bowling alley near there. My mother was tiny and I weighed nearly 12 pounds. I bet that was something. Dr Stump's brother was a Congressman for years in the Tolleson area.

We lived in Alzona Park for a short time. I wonder if anyone remembers that place? I think we moved when the next apartment over was having a fight and the guy knocked his wife partially into our apartment through the wall. I was too small to remember anything so I am going on what my parents told me many years ago.
I remember Alzona Park well. I lived at 25th Ave and Jefferson in 1947-1951, attended Murphy School, saw movies at Aero theater, skated at the rink directly across the street and I had several friends who lived i Alzona Park.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:28 PM

218 posts, read 569,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
I remember Alzona Park well. I lived at 25th Ave and Jefferson in 1947-1951, attended Murphy School, saw movies at Aero theater, skated at the rink directly across the street and I had several friends who lived i Alzona Park.
Do you think Alzona Park was old barracks moved into that location or was it built there. I always thought it was built during WWII perhaps to house Defense Workers at Reynolds Aluminum. I remember going by Reynolds during shift change; they employed a lot of people. Seems like I remember guard towers on the fencing perimeter, maybe not?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:51 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,074,714 times
Quote:
Do you think Alzona Park was old barracks moved into that location or was it built there. I always thought it was built during WWII perhaps to house Defense Workers at Reynolds Aluminum. I remember going by Reynolds during shift change; they employed a lot of people. Seems like I remember guard towers on the fencing perimeter, maybe not?
It was built there by the Federal Government for ALCOA (of which Reynolds Aluminum is or was a subsidiary), then it was turned over to the Maricopa Housing Authority.

From HISTORY OF THE HOUSING AUTHORITY OF MARICOPA COUNTY

"On May 3, 1943 the Authority took over operation of Alzona Park which had eight-hundred (800) units consisting of 0, 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments for employees of Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA). These units were located in one-hundred (100) row buildings on eighty (80) acres on the northeast corner of Van Buren and 35th Avenue just west of Phoenix. The buildings had wood floors, three-inch (3") stud wall, with sheetrock interiors and asbestos cement siding shingles. Roof sheathing was sheetrock with roll roofing. Water was from Phoenix. Central Arizona Light and Power provided electricity and gas. Sewerage was disposed of at a plant operated by ALCOA. Since the project was outside the Phoenix City limits the Authority had to provide many of the services usually supplied by the municipality such as maintaining streets, water and sewer lines and contracting for refuse removal. The project had its own security force of three men and also acquired a surplus pumper truck and formed a volunteer fire department with employees. A city fireman who lived on the site trained the men."

Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM

285 posts, read 904,442 times
Quote:
Obviously, a lot has changed since the Reynolds plant was with us. I vaguely remember seeing it up close.

Aerial shots of 35th Ave and Van Buren show the progress between 1949 and 2009.
Alzona is clearly seen as is the future site of the Peso (Acres) Drive In theatres (open field north of Reynolds). As for any guard towers (?), one must realize that the plant was probably a med/high priority target for saboteurs, due to the demand for aircraft parts during the war and the plants contribution to the US effort (speculating now). I would say heavily patrolled.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-reynolds-plant-35th-ave-van-buren   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-reynolds-plant-35th-ave-van-buren  

Old 08-15-2012, 02:57 PM

107 posts, read 422,671 times
Quote:
The mention of housing projects for defense plant workers reminds me that there was a post some time back about Duppa Villa, saying it was built as housing for AiResearch employees (in the 1940's or 50's I'm guessing).

I'd never heard that before; always assumed Duppa Villa was just a typical project intended for low-income residents. Anyone know if the AiResearch connection is true?

Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John B Sloop View Post
Does anyone remember the HUGE (CAMEL SHAPED SIGN) IN NEON @ CAMEL"S DRUG STORE on the NE corner of 7th Street @ Roosevelt
My grandfather Joseph Campbell was a pharmacist and the proprietor of that Drug Store. It was actually Campbell's Drug Store and the sign which was the Camel cigarette camel took advantage of the similarity of the words. Of course it was a drug store in the old sense in that it had a sode fountain counter. I'll try and track down a phote I remember of him behind the counter. He and my grandmother lived nearby at 38 West Lynwood. He passed away in the 60's, but my "Granny" lived there until she passed away in the 90's at age 98.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:09 PM

97 posts, read 229,371 times
Reading this thread and remembering those days, in my mind I can hear the music of then, still my favorite tunes ! Remember XEROK 80 ? : XEROK-AM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and: Wolfman Jack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, not just Phoenix & the southwest enjoyed the vibes, lol, at night the quarter-million watt signal was picked up across Europe & the Soviet Union.. ROCK & ROLL !!

Also: http://airchexx.com/2005/01/10/quick...73-437-scoped/

Old 08-18-2012, 06:35 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I don't know exactly what the purpose of this photo is but it is dated 1937 and the woman is displaying a winning drawing of Camelback Mtn she did. Must be a publicity photo to lure tourists.

Does anyone know how all my image posts end up on Google's photo site? I also post in other blogs and they turn up too.

Attachment 99705Attachment 99705
Google just scoops them up. If you type in Trillcatz then go to images all of the photos of my cats come up plus some Phoenix photos.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:24 AM

283 posts, read 880,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Google just scoops them up. If you type in Trillcatz then go to images all of the photos of my cats come up plus some Phoenix photos.
I've had pictures I've posted here end up on Brad Hall's Phoenix photo site which is fine by me. If I didn't want to share them with others, I wouldn't have posted them at all. You're just getting a much wider audience now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area