Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Credit for these two wonderful photos is to Vintage Phoenix on Facebook; there are two great forums with the same name.

Attachment 105830

Attachment 105831
I certainly remember those 15 cent Burger Chef burgers...ate one everyday in high school. Another dime got you a Coke too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicroses View Post
I was there in the 70's too and am still in contact with 2 people from there. I was in with aunt Sue, then aunt Linda in San Juan and then later-Princess !!!!I never tell anyone about it---they think it was a school for psycho girls---but it didn't totally seem that way----Where were you? I miss Mr. P. We learned a lot from him! I graduated from there in 1978.

Boy, that's a blast from the past...Princess yes...I used to have outside Saturday chores and had cigarettes stashed lol. I was there in '68-69. Miss Marguerite didn't quite know what to do with me...when I left there was not an option to return lol.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
Great Pictures!! There was one on South Cental, below Southern Ave. I thought the burger price was really reasonable even for those times.

That's the one that I went to while at South. A meal for a quarter. A $7 a week allowance went a long way back then.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,224,263 times
The Burger Chef I remember most was right across the street from Carl Hayden HS. The building is still there. It's a tire/wheel shop called LLantera Malverde.

By the time I got to HS (1970) the price was more like 25 cents for the burger, 35 cents for the cheeseburger.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:39 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
The Burger Chef I remember most was right across the street from Carl Hayden HS. The building is still there. It's a tire/wheel shop called LLantera Malverde.

By the time I got to HS (1970) the price was more like 25 cents for the burger, 35 cents for the cheeseburger.
I think there's still a former Burger Chef building on Bethany Home, west of 19th Ave east of Black Canyon.

I fondly remember eating at the one on University at ASU many times. Cheap meal when the dorm cafeteria was closed.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 PM

37 posts, read 146,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I think there's still a former Burger Chef building on Bethany Home, west of 19th Ave east of Black Canyon.

I fondly remember eating at the one on University at ASU many times. Cheap meal when the dorm cafeteria was closed.

I don't recall one on Bethany in that area Observer ( though of course there could've been ), but there was one on Glendale Ave. just west of Washington High School, south of Glendale Ave between 19th Ave and Black Canyon. And I'm pretty sure the building is still there. Also, about a block west of the Burger Chef, on the north side of Glendale, was a Mugs Up Root Beer. I remember you could buy a mega-phone of root beer. It was basically a waxy-paper cone, and when you finished drinking it. You cut out the round bottom, and you had a mega-phone.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 PM

214 posts, read 646,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Credit for these two wonderful photos is to Vintage Phoenix on Facebook; there are two great forums with the same name.

Attachment 105830

Attachment 105831
I see a Safeway, Gulf service station, Standard service station, and a "Ma Bell" phone booth.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian740 View Post
I don't recall one on Bethany in that area Observer ( though of course there could've been ), but there was one on Glendale Ave. just west of Washington High School, south of Glendale Ave between 19th Ave and Black Canyon. And I'm pretty sure the building is still there. Also, about a block west of the Burger Chef, on the north side of Glendale, was a Mugs Up Root Beer. I remember you could buy a mega-phone of root beer. It was basically a waxy-paper cone, and when you finished drinking it. You cut out the round bottom, and you had a mega-phone.

You are right, it's Glendale, not Bethany. My bad.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian740 View Post
There was also a Mugs Up Root Beer just east of 32nd Street on McDowell Road in the early 1960s (not sure when it closed down) - it was the old style drive-in where the waitress came out and hooked a tray onto the side of your car window. I remember the root beer they sold there as being incredibly good. I remember accidentally spilling a root beer float down my dad's back in his new car there...

Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,059,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I remember the root beer they sold there as being incredibly good.
sorry to veer off-topic for a minute, but this made me think of the history of Root Beer and how people say it used to taste....from wiki article on Hires Root Beer:

"One of the major ingredients of root beer was sassafras oil, a plant root extract used in beverages for its flavor and presumed medicinal properties. The medicinal properties of root beer are emphasized in the advertising slogan, "Join Health and Cheer/Drink Hires Rootbeer." Ironically, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration banned sassafras oil in 1960 because it contains the carcinogen and liver-damaging chemical safrol. However, a process was later discovered by which the harmful chemical could be removed from sassafras oil while preserving the flavor.[8]"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area