Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 10:31 AM

362 posts, read 1,701,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Mr. Steak, must have been a chain of restaurants. Looks inviting now, probably from the 60's because of all the orange colors.

Attachment 105413
Roosevelt! You just made my day. I used to work here at Mr Steak (35th Ave & Glendale) in 1970 as a busboy, then dishwasher, during my freshman year at Alhambra High. I've been looking for years for a pic like this. Talk about going down memory lane! I think I actually remember that waitress too.
Mr Steak made the best steak sandwich I've ever had.
Attached is a shot of the building which is still there -but vacant.

Thanks again.

Willie.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-mr.-steak.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 05:28 PM

214 posts, read 647,354 times
Anyone remember a restaurant called "Bitter Creek" that was located inside the building that's located on the SW corner of Central & Van Buren? Their specialty was steak hoagies...the best I ever tasted. They were there late 70's-early 80's.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM

107 posts, read 423,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
could the food on that plate get any more symmetrical??!!
It's making both sides of my mouth equally hungry!

But I think they need to try a little harder--the lettuce leaf on the right is bigger, and the lemon wedge is offset! Otherwise it could be the most symmetrical entree in town.

Funny that I don't recall Mr. Steak at all. Although if the only one was the 35th Ave & Glendale location that Westside Willie mentioned, maybe I never saw it. They must not have advertised much.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,535 times
hello,
I am new to this site. I found it while trying to find out about the old Merryweather house and Wallace Bill Thompson.

Does any one remember the old carnation Ice cream packing plant on the corner of Indian school and central? How about Wolf Man Jack? Tubing the Verde river? Love Ins at Encanto park? Going to drive inn movies with a car trunk full of friends? Fox or Paramount theather?
What a wonderful time to grow up in we really were blessed
Jacqueline Marie

Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,535 times
Hello,

While reading page after page of all of your posts..it brought back memories of Wonderful President Kennedy..I ditched school to see him in a parade down East Van Buren street in an open convertible. Then came the announcement of him being shot. What a sad day for America. I remember the teachers crying and class being dismissed for the day.

I remember the Tate murder and Charles Manson. A and W root beer stands. Pete's fish an chips on Washington. Blakely gas station, bulk oil was 10 cents and we used it in our old cars. Green and gold bond stamps. Free dishes or towels in boxes of laundry soap.

Dial pay phone booths where you put a dime in but if you dropped in the dime and then quickly hit the coin return button you got a dial tone and your dime back LOL

Oh Oh who can forget Mr. Softie Ice cream trucks?? I started High school at Phoenix Union then
transferred to North. "ON Coyotes" I remember saving lunch money all month long so we could ditch school and go horse back riding up on North mountain or by Papago park.

Pizza at Woolworths down town and the bus depot where we could rent a small locker to keep our books in when we cut class to go to Woolworths. I remember the lunch counter and root beer flouts or cherry cokes. On Grand Ave. was a small dinner like a train with juke box thingies on each table..3 songs for a quarter.
Jacqueline Marie

Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM

285 posts, read 905,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmarieAZ View Post

Pizza at Woolworths down town and the bus depot where we could rent a small locker to keep our books in when we cut class to go to Woolworths. I remember the lunch counter and root beer flouts or cherry cokes. On Grand Ave. was a small dinner like a train with juke box thingies on each table..3 songs for a quarter.
Jacqueline Marie
While doing business downtown, I would make it a point to stop at Woolworths for a slice of pizza.
Always freshly made when I was there.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 PM

88 posts, read 273,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
Anyone remember a restaurant called "Bitter Creek" that was located inside the building that's located on the SW corner of Central & Van Buren? Their specialty was steak hoagies...the best I ever tasted. They were there late 70's-early 80's.
There was a Bitter Creek on Windrose DR, just west of I-17in the mid-seventies. And yes, it was the best steak hoagie I ever had! After the sandwich, we'd go around the corner on 28th DR to Bobby Brannigans (I think that was the name) and have ice cream for dessert. Now, I'm suddenly hungry!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:51 AM

218 posts, read 570,708 times
Quote:
Hello,

While reading page after page of all of your posts..it brought back memories of Wonderful President Kennedy..I ditched school to see him in a parade down East Van Buren street in an open convertible. Then came the announcement of him being shot. What a sad day for America. I remember the teachers crying and class being dismissed for the day.

I remember the Tate murder and Charles Manson. A and W root beer stands. Pete's fish an chips on Washington. Blakely gas station, bulk oil was 10 cents and we used it in our old cars. Green and gold bond stamps. Free dishes or towels in boxes of laundry soap.

Dial pay phone booths where you put a dime in but if you dropped in the dime and then quickly hit the coin return button you got a dial tone and your dime back LOL

Oh Oh who can forget Mr. Softie Ice cream trucks?? I started High school at Phoenix Union then
transferred to North. "ON Coyotes" I remember saving lunch money all month long so we could ditch school and go horse back riding up on North mountain or by Papago park.

Jacqueline Marie
I also cut class at Phoenix Union High School to see President Kennedy in downtown. When he was running for President I got my dad up about 3AM one morning to see him at Sky Harbor. I still have the little "Kennedy" pinbacks they gave us. We stood next to the concrete wall at Terminal 1 (probably the only terminal then) so we had a good view. I remember a short speech by someone as they deplaned from their airplane. I think the plane was called the Caroline. They made a reference for everyone to "Stand Pat". That was laughed about by the announcer since it was a reference to Mrs. Nixon. I think Kennedy said a few words too but for some reason I cannot remember.

We used the 10 cent bulk oil too. Stations such as Hudson and Blue Star had lots of it. It was used, cleaned up oil (rerefined). It came in one quart bottles with a tin cap/spout. It worked for us in the junk cars and scooters we drove. "Check the gas and fill it with oil" was our saying.

Seeburg was king of jukeboxes in the 50's. The jukebox selectors were called wallboxes. Most were made by Seeburg and it only took 3 low voltage wires to make them work by using a stepper and pulse generator. Other companies also made wallboxes but never as sucessful as Seeburg.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wendell View Post

I grew up just North of the Salt River Bed around 10th St. It was South Phoenix but not South of the Salt River.
10 St. South, lol... I remember cruising South Central. Most turned south of Broadway and went back south towards, South Mountain. I personally went all the way to the bridge and, back to South Mountain every weekend. Cruising in one of the lowest Low Profile boom cars on the street. Go on up to the towers (south view) or, to Look Out Point (North View). It was peaceful up there looking down on the City until, you hear from below... pop pop pop, South Phoenix wasn't the nicest place to be in the 80's and, 90's. I would often hear from my parents that, North Central was their spot, lol. * Going to, Legend City when I was real young.

Last edited by Dizzy 1971; 01-05-2013 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Added memory of, Phoenix Past.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 AM

427 posts, read 1,187,680 times
Quote:
hello,
I am new to this site. I found it while trying to find out about the old Merryweather house and Wallace Bill Thompson.

Does any one remember the old carnation Ice cream packing plant on the corner of Indian school and central? How about Wolf Man Jack? Tubing the Verde river? Love Ins at Encanto park? Going to drive inn movies with a car trunk full of friends? Fox or Paramount theather?
What a wonderful time to grow up in we really were blessed
Jacqueline Marie
ABSOLUTELY Jacqueline Marie! Cruising Central and stopping for an ice cream, Wolf-man on a clear night from XERB in TJ...wasn't there also a radio station from Oklahoma City? Definitely tubing the Verde or the Salt. Many times I had flowers in my hair after a day at Encanto...and the smell of weed...OMG! Silver Buck (Silver Dollar) for me and certainly the taking the bus uptown to the Fox and Paramount as a child. Lol we probably ran into each other at one of those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area