Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Do you mean this? Rose Pauson Residence, "Ship Rock" (1939) - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/donkeyfunk/sets/72057594100018689/ - broken link)
I have an aerial photo showing camelback all the way to Lincoln Drive and 32nd was a dirt road. When it was aligned, it almost went through the center of the property. They built on a hill. There was a fashion shoot before it burned down showing models standing all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 08:24 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I don't know, you will have to call them. The old location was next to a thrift store which was next to a massage parlor which I thought was odd. When I parked in back for the thrift store, women came to the back door next door hoping I would come in I guess. I knew Tommy, he frequented nightclubs a lot.
LOL I don't remember a massage parlor but I probably wouldn't have known a massage parlor from a Dairy Queen. I seem to remember a used book store close by...I'm thinking in the same row of buildings but maybe not. It seems like Tommy used to come sit at your table and chat and see how you liked the food. Sure wish I could find pizza/calzones that good today.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:03 AM

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-kgrhqv-jue652rlp1gbo6swtdcqg-60_3.jpg

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-kgrhqj-hoe2ry-cgvbbnwbzw3g-w-_3.jpg

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-11.jpg

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-breakfast-hollywood.jpg

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-guggys-mesa.jpg

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-phx.-sky-harbor-hi-resolution.jpg

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-woolworth-3.jpg

Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 AM

24,281 posts, read 13,134,357 times
I remember a Sir George's on East Main in Mesa, but where's the one in the above postcard? There were a few in SoCal as well. Is there any correlation between Sir George's and The Royal Fork (70th and Thomas in Scottsdale, late 70s/early 80s)?

Old 02-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I remember a Sir George's on East Main in Mesa, but where's the one in the above postcard? There were a few in SoCal as well. Is there any correlation between Sir George's and The Royal Fork (70th and Thomas in Scottsdale, late 70s/early 80s)?
This Sir Georges was just east of Tri-City Mall.

I think Royal Fork took over King's Table locations.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:58 PM

93 posts, read 253,699 times
Roosevelt I really liked the pictures!! Thank you!!

I remember Guggy's at Christown. The menu (I still have one somewhere) was in the shape of a 1946 Wurlitzer 1015 jukebox.

The sky harbor picture was older than I remember. I do remember the old Terminal 1 when it was the only terminal. There was an observation deck on the roof with coin op telescopes. When the propeller driven aircraft would get turned around and begin to taxi to the runway the prop wash was strong, the engine exhaust smell was strong and you had to close your eyes from the dust and debris blowing back. It was great. We lived about 3 miles away, in perfect alignment with the runway. I used to walk there in the summer when I was in about the 3rd or 4th grade to watch the airplanes. It was a very long walk for a little kid but no one ever bothered me except for a few dogs that would chase me.

I remember one year when the radio tower blew over on one of the buildings, I think the Westward Ho. That was something exciting to see back then! I ditched a half day of class at PUHS to see President Kennedy when he visited at the Westward Ho.

How about the Playland Penney Arcade? Anyone remember that? My parents had me afraid to go in there when I was a little kid. The owners would have probably just chased me out if I had. It was always a place of mystery and excitement. I suppose I wanted to go in since it was forbidden more than anything.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:

May have, don't remember.

At Indian School just east of Miller Road and Messenger (south side, near the Social Security Administration) there was a place that I thought was a buffet in the early 70s... was later Garcia's del Este, then was Julio G's, and is now (was there in December) Dos Juevos. It seemed to have the same medieval motif as Royal Fork and Sir George's... Camelot or Round Table comes to mind.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,971 times
Does anyone recall the 5th national bank banque night club on cenral and Indian school rd. Tony Cerkvenik and the rest of the group?

Old 02-04-2012, 02:33 PM

285 posts, read 904,442 times
Quote:

I remember Royal Fork. There was one on Thomas Rd, just west of Scottsdale Rd. I bussed tables there. Remembering one staff meeting, we were instructed to inform the patrons that R-F was not an "all you can eat" type restaurant.
We used to refer to Royal Fork as Royal F*k

Old 02-04-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
I remember Royal Fork. There was one on Thomas Rd, just west of Scottsdale Rd. I bussed tables there. Remembering one staff meeting, we were instructed to inform the patrons that R-F was not an "all you can eat" type restaurant.
We used to refer to Royal Fork as Royal F*k
Looks like it's a Famous Sam's now (popular local sports bar when I lived in Tucson).

Some people take "all you can eat" as a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area