Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
My grandmother's house was just west of University Park and that is where I learned to swim as well. I can still visualize going into the pool through the building where you had to step under a shower...(coming in, going out)...and remember the old train that sat nearest to Van Buren?... I attended Murphy School and our 8th grade graduation party was held at Broadway Pool... As a teen I hung out at Encanto Park.
I never swam at the Broadway Pool but I did enjoy Palm Beach which was around 16th St. and South Mountain Ave. maybe??? We rode out bikes and that's been about 50 yrs ago so I'm not quite sure of the location...lol but it was in south Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 10:15 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Last weekend I had dinner at an 'old fashioned' diner...my companion and I were commenting on the age of the stools at the lunch counter. This place is truly a dinosaur but the food is fabulous. This little place opened in '59 and is still going strong...they are packed on Fri/Sat nights. It was great to enjoy a truly nice (not fancy) meal and an evening of nostalgia.
trill!....don't leave us hanging!!.....names, we want names!

Old 04-29-2012, 11:21 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
I never swam at the Broadway Pool but I did enjoy Palm Beach which was around 16th St. and South Mountain Ave. maybe??? We rode out bikes and that's been about 50 yrs ago so I'm not quite sure of the location...lol but it was in south Phoenix.
Location is right but it was called Saguaro Beach.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 AM

93 posts, read 253,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
My very first weekend job was working at the notions (sewing, etc) counter at Woolworth's. I was a junior in high school (1953/54) My Uncle attended PUHS and worked after school and weekends at Woolworths dressing the windows for street views...After graduating from ASU, he eventually became the assistant manager. They had those chutes that took the money upstairs, the cashier would seal the deal and send the tube with the change back to your station. I loved the lunch counter..oh those wonderful malts and shakes.. My Uncle stayed in touch with those lunch counter girls when they were well into their nineties and then one by one they passed away... Recently he passed away (in December) but he always remembered the years and years he worked at Woolworths. He quit Woolworths in 1965 but he was forever marked by his experiences as a Manager in many different states. As for me, I can STILL remember the name of the floor manager and how that poor woman had to corral all of those employees, especially giggly high school girls who thought she was so mean.
Wonderful memories! Woolworth's was always my favorite. It wasn't often I (we) could buy anything; money was too scarce. Several times we had a dougnut or sweetroll at the lunch counter. I remember the coffee cream came in tiny little bottles for my mom and dad.

It seems like Thursday night was the busy time in downtown Phoenix. I think a lot of companies paid on Thursday afternoon. Once those orange slice candies were on sale at Woolworth's, really on sale. My dad bought a huge bag of them. I ate them and ate them. I got so sick I still cannot stand the smell of orange slice candy more than 55 years later.

Some of the original Woolworth's lunch counters ended up in a Glendale antique shop. I remember thinking "if only they could tell some of the stories they have heard".

Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-goldwater-mccune.jpg Goldwater home in 1964 and the McCune mansion under construction.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 AM

24,281 posts, read 13,134,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Attachment 94669 Goldwater home in 1964 and the McCune mansion under construction.
Great pic but can't see the ham radio antennas; when were they added?

In 1974 my father worked with Senator Goldwater's reelection campaign, and so for a couple summers afterwards I was tasked to do occasional yard work at the Goldwater home, which was dwarfed by the nearby and thoroughly enigmatic Walker McCune mansion. A few years later I ended up getting my commission from Gen. Goldwater.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 04-30-2012 at 10:01 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Attachment 94669 Goldwater home in 1964 and the McCune mansion under construction.
thanks, Roosevelt....first time I've ever seen what Barry's place really looked like, the layout and all that....most here probably know it was sold after he died and, I think, was highly remodeled/torn down.....

we were lucky to go to a realtor's "open house" of the McCune Mansion in the late 70s....was just like any open house!....it already had a tired 60s feel to it and needed a lot of updating....I think a wannabe gym mogul bought it (Gordon Hall?) and later had to sell of most of the acreage to keep up with costs...Hormel bought it later and it's now for sale again after he died.....if anybody is interested, you can drive the old driveway of the McCune Mansion which is now a public street and it swoops right by the place up close as it goes on to other houses.....go N on 40th St past Stanford and turn W onto Paradise View Dr (the old driveway)...no gates or gatehouses!!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:25 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,134,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
thanks, Roosevelt....first time I've ever seen what Barry's place really looked like, the layout and all that....most here probably know it was sold after he died and, I think, was highly remodeled/torn down.....
A couple years ago while visiting I was driving down Lincoln and pointed out to my wife the Goldwater home... but I could not initially find it. I then realized it underwent an extensive re-roofing or more, could not tell.

One thing I remember about the Goldwater home was how sparse the outside area appeared, especially in contrast to the McCune Mansion. It was innocuous, not really drawing attention to the occupants. It seemed very much in line with the Senator's way of thinking.

Didn't the McCune Mansion has a skating rink in it? Or was that Wrigley?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,030 times
it was The T.G.& Y Store along with Markgraf's that Burned Little Damage to Earl's

Old 04-30-2012, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
I stand corrected, it was not an Earl's/Markgrafs (as I inadvertently posted earlier) fire but a Markgrafs/TG&Y fire in April 1969. Two separate Earl's stores owned by different Earls.

Earl's Market, T.G.& Y, Markgraf Pharmacy, S & H Green Stamps, Shoe Repair, Barber Shop, Happiness House, Kachina Liquors, Tiger Wash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area