Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
I do remember those, the last being in '96 or '97 from what I saw.
It was around 1997, I lived in Tucson at the time, and the early morning tests were spectacular.

In the 80s there were missile launches from Vandenberg AFB on the west coast that could occasionally be seen from the Phoenix area, especially from high areas such as Dobbins Lookout or the top of Squaw Peak, though I never saw any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 04:44 PM

53 posts, read 153,084 times
Default Random Shots

Random stuff from the back of my notebook......

Does anyone recall a short lived curling rink on north 7th Street, just north of Bethany Home?

A club/pool at 34th and Camelback. The Coro (?) Club. First attempt at pool skateboarding. Back in the days of clay wheels. Lost a lot of skin.

Speaking of skateboards, the Sears loading ramp was fun. The pink side walk at the Biltmore was good for some lost skin also. Being chased out of the Kon Tiki pool on Van Buren

Who braved the guard dogs at Biltmore reservoir? They were so glad to see anyone. We'd take them treats and swim at night with flashlights in the summer. It was like swimming under a pier in the pitch black

How about Dick Smith's Gym.

The Encanto Aquatics Club. One of the only AAU swim teams not based out of a country club. Coach Hamantry (?)

School field trips:

Holsum Bakery

The dairy at 42nd and McDowell. Kotch, Croft, Crotch Dairy

There was a plant that bottled 7-Up on 3rd street, south of Indian School.

Carnation Dairy.

And the best......Cudahy Meat Packing Plant. My uncle supplied all of their tires and had a shop on Washington. He got us a tour that included the kill floor. My mom almost died when she found out we saw the kill floor.

The Gilbert Pump Company was on Washington between Phoenix and Tempe.
The called my uncle's shop and said " Yea, this is Gilbert Pump and we have a bad tire on the flatbed. Can you come out and fix it?"

His counter gal says "Oh yes Mr. Pump, we'll send a repair truck right out.

You can't make this stuff up.

dgsaz

Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 PM

283 posts, read 880,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsaz1950 View Post

Does anyone recall a short lived curling rink on north 7th Street, just north of Bethany Home?

A club/pool at 34th and Camelback. The Coro (?) Club. First attempt at pool skateboarding. Back in the days of clay wheels. Lost a lot of skin.

Speaking of skateboards, the Sears loading ramp was fun. The pink side walk at the Biltmore was good for some lost skin also. Being chased out of the Kon Tiki pool on Van Buren

Who braved the guard dogs at Biltmore reservoir? They were so glad to see anyone. We'd take them treats and swim at night with flashlights in the summer. It was like swimming under a pier in the pitch black

The Encanto Aquatics Club. One of the only AAU swim teams not based out of a country club. Coach Hamantry (?)

School field trips:

Holsum Bakery

Carnation Dairy.

And the best......Cudahy Meat Packing Plant. My uncle supplied all of their tires and had a shop on Washington. He got us a tour that included the kill floor. My mom almost died when she found out we saw the kill floor.

The called my uncle's shop and said " Yea, this is Gilbert Pump and we have a bad tire on the flatbed. Can you come out and fix it?"

dgsaz
I remember Gilbert Pump being next door on the east side of the Grainger building on 44th and Washington. What about the grain elevator for Tovrea on 48th street and Washington. All that and the Cudahy meat packing plant as well as the Kaiser Jeep dealer went by-by when they started building the HoHoKam SR143.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:04 PM

285 posts, read 905,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
It was around 1997, I lived in Tucson at the time, and the early morning tests were spectacular.

In the 80s there were missile launches from Vandenberg AFB on the west coast that could occasionally be seen from the Phoenix area, especially from high areas such as Dobbins Lookout or the top of Squaw Peak, though I never saw any of them.
I was going to mention Vandenberg launches but reflected since that they could be from the Nevada Test range. We saw one in the mid 60's (looking to the NW/NNW) from North Scottsdale. At the time was Project Blue Book and the family freaked thinking it to be a UFO sighting. The launches though from White Sands are great to watch. The last one I saw was from Downtown Phoenix around early AM, looking due east.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,167 times
I remember, in the '50's, when Wallace was a guest 'helper' on the Goldust Charlie Show--- I think on Channel 5. Later, he of course, got his own show. Tower plaza was a corn field and every home north of there had livestock. I have very early memories of getting sunburned to heck at Crystal Beach swimming pool at 40th and Thomas. They had really cold water in that pool.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM

46 posts, read 116,072 times
Does anyone remember the "Bluebird of Happy News" and Elroy "Buzz" Towers in the early days of Channel 15? They had a contest for kids to draw their renditions of the imaginary helicopter way back when, and I won third place with my entry. I won a miniature "Channel 15 helicopter" model with solar-powered rotor blades, and I also got a free lunch at the awards banquet up at the Compass revolving restaurant atop the Hyatt in downtown Phoenix!

KNXV-TV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-23-2012, 10:22 PM

214 posts, read 646,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia Camelback View Post
Does anyone remember the "Bluebird of Happy News" and Elroy "Buzz" Towers in the early days of Channel 15? They had a contest for kids to draw their renditions of the imaginary helicopter way back when, and I won third place with my entry. I won a miniature "Channel 15 helicopter" model with solar-powered rotor blades, and I also got a free lunch at the awards banquet up at the Compass revolving restaurant atop the Hyatt in downtown Phoenix!

KNXV-TV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Think I posted this before but, yes I remember...channel 15 was on UHF, and they would say "Ultra High Flight".

Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 AM

93 posts, read 253,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donhaywood View Post
I remember, in the '50's, when Wallace was a guest 'helper' on the Goldust Charlie Show--- I think on Channel 5. Later, he of course, got his own show. Tower plaza was a corn field and every home north of there had livestock. I have very early memories of getting sunburned to heck at Crystal Beach swimming pool at 40th and Thomas. They had really cold water in that pool.
I remember Golddust Charlie and then the "It's Wallace" show on channel 5. I liked the nasty brothers film clips the best when Wallace did those. The first cartoon I watched on TV, when we got a TV, was Crusader Rabbit. Remember when Tower Plaza had the "Globe Store" to the West of it?

Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Quote:

School field trips:

Holsum Bakery

Carnation Dairy.

dgsaz
The dairy was Kruft Dairy, ha, Crotch Dairy sounds better.

Interesting to know there were guard dogs at the Biltmore reservoir.

There was also a Pepsi bottling plant on Central just north of Park Central.

A friend that went to Grant school had a field trip to the Cudahy plant and they took the full tour including the killing floor.

There was Camelback Lanes on north 7th Street, don't know if there was curling.

I have one, anyone heard of the Joy Drive In Theater? Supposedly on Cactus and Showlow Rds.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
Quote:
School field trips:

Holsum Bakery

Carnation Dairy.

And the best......Cudahy Meat Packing Plant. My uncle supplied all of their tires and had a shop on Washington. He got us a tour that included the kill floor. My mom almost died when she found out we saw the kill floor.dgsaz
Is the Holsum bakery the one right off the Black Canyon? We went there for a field trip, as well as Rosarita's Mexican Foods in Mesa.

Also went to Stewart Mountain Dam. It was fun for us typical 8 year old boys to look over the edge and spit to the Salt River below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area