Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 07:35 PM

26 posts, read 68,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyincaneyville View Post
I remember shooting the flumes when I was about 13-14 years old, but can't for the life of me remember exactly where it was at. It was in the Agua Fria river bed down south or west of Peoria I do believe. I know it wasn't the one towards Lake Pleasant. The reason the flumes there were elevated is because of it crossing the river. It's been a very long time, but I know you were going so fast in the water that you stood straight up and your feet wouldn't touch the bottom of the flume. When you were ready to get out, simply reach above your head and grab a steel beam and pull yourself up. I can remember climbing up at one spot to find I was about 30 feet off the ground. Had to drop back in and go further down to another spot! Now that I look back, it was really stupid! Especially since I couldn't swim.
The Flume was/is between Indian School and McDowell on the Agua Fria River. I went through it numerous times around 1950-51. No big deal......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,442 times
My parents owned Gibbys for over 15 years. The business was sold and it moved up Scottsdale Rd. to a strip center. They tried changing the menu and it never made it. I had really fond memories of all the major league baseball players that came in or we delivered to. Ricky Henderson, Willie McCovey, Danny Gladden, Maury Wills, Rick Reuschel, Donnie Moore....and Alice Cooper! Thanks for asking it brings back great memories.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:16 AM

218 posts, read 570,011 times
I learned from the Antique Radio site I belong to that AM radio KOY is changing formats. This is not verified by me.

I have listened to KOY in Phoenix for the last 60 years or so. When I was a little kid Bob Kapps was on the midnight. His theme song was Dixie. At 6AM Bill Close came on with the news and at 6:15AM Len Ingelbritzen (sp) came in with a herd of wild cows right through the bedroom. He played all the old country & western stuff. A few years ago KOY lost its 550 frequency to Talk Radio and ended up on 1230 which used to be KRIZ with great Rock & Roll.. Sad to see it all go. Some day AM radio might not have any music for those who collect/restore old radios.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
The only POW camp I know of was located at the SW corner of 64th St. and Oak. They were tearing them out around 1962 or so. My father was called out, as a troubleshooter for SRP, to investivate an electrocution of someone working for a contractor who was demolishing the camp.
The ones at Scottsdale and Thomas were being given away. They were moved there many years ago from a POW camp.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:51 PM

These were at Scottsdale and Thomas behind the McDonalds. They were moved here in the 50's and used as apartments and were being given away for any one who would haul them away.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-p9204551.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-p9204549.jpg  

Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
My world evolved around Papago Plaza on Scottsdale and McDowell. It had Mayman's Toys and hobbies, 31 Flavors, Green Stamp redemption center at one time and a TG&Y. Everything a kid could want in life. Los Arcos Mall was still just a vacant field. Alas, Los Arcos is gone and some stupid looking thing is there now. What is it anyways? Last time I was in town I drove by and couldn't figure out what it was.
I worked at the 31 flavors from opening day in Nov 1959 until I graduated from ASU in 1961. I remember the huge crowd on opening day. Sunday. Bert Baskin was there showing us how to make things. Jimmy Bryan [not the race car driver] was the owner and ice cream was 10 cents a scoop.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:21 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rap44 View Post
My parents owned Gibbys for over 15 years. The business was sold and it moved up Scottsdale Rd. to a strip center. They tried changing the menu and it never made it. I had really fond memories of all the major league baseball players that came in or we delivered to. Ricky Henderson, Willie McCovey, Danny Gladden, Maury Wills, Rick Reuschel, Donnie Moore....and Alice Cooper! Thanks for asking it brings back great memories.
I had no idea Alice Cooper played major league ball.
This forum is so informative.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Anyone know who this is?

Attachment 70308
Tony Ponce who pitched for he Senators

Old 08-26-2013, 11:39 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwing66 View Post
The Flume was/is between Indian School and McDowell on the Agua Fria River. I went through it numerous times around 1950-51. No big deal......
Quote:
billyincaneyville:I remember shooting the flumes when I was about 13-14 years old, but can't for the life of me remember exactly where it was at. It was in the Agua Fria river bed down south or west of Peoria I do believe. I know it wasn't the one towards Lake Pleasant. The reason the flumes there were elevated is because of it crossing the river. It's been a very long time, but I know you were going so fast in the water that you stood straight up and your feet wouldn't touch the bottom of the flume. When you were ready to get out, simply reach above your head and grab a steel beam and pull yourself up. I can remember climbing up at one spot to find I was about 30 feet off the ground. Had to drop back in and go further down to another spot! Now that I look back, it was really stupid! Especially since I couldn't swim.
I posted this once before, but here's a 1974 home movie of the Flumes:

1974 The slide and flumes Phoenix AZ. - YouTube

Old 08-27-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
Speaking of hospitals and I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I can vaguely remember the County hospital in a location other than where it is now...my mother says it was at 22nd and Durango...any one have photos of this?
35th Ave South of Buckeye road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area