Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 12:03 PM

537 posts, read 1,546,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Approaching 900,000 views people.

Here is the only photo I know of, Bob's Big Boy in Phoenix. I believe credit goes to Facebook's Vintage Phoenix page.

Attachment 117360

Is that a '56 Lincoln Continental? Also, remember those Hopi sand painting decorations above the entrance?
The Lincoln Continental is at least a 1961 or newer. There is another one behind it turning right also. 61 was the first year for the suicide doors on the Lincoln sedans. It could be that Acquanetta is in Bob's Big Boy with all of those red-headed kids having hamburgers and silver goblet milk shakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 10:01 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,057 times
Interesting letter from Quebedeaux Chevy to Jarrett's Hardware store. I used to go to the hardware store. they had an elevated island in the store with four HUGE brass cash registers.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-quebedeaux.jpg

Old 09-05-2013, 04:31 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,477,166 times
Quote:
Sheree North, making a movie 'Way to Gold' at Saguaro Lake. Kind of skinny I think. 1957.

Best thing in the picture is the Rolleiflex.

Say what now? Sheree North had the exact same measurements as Marilyn Monroe, and the studios threatened to replace Monroe with North as Monroe became increasingly undependable. North looks pretty good to me.

(She also later played Cosmo Kramer's mom on "Seinfeld.")

Old 09-06-2013, 04:27 AM

218 posts, read 570,574 times
Quote:
Interesting letter from Quebedeaux Chevy to Jarrett's Hardware store. I used to go to the hardware store. they had an elevated island in the store with four HUGE brass cash registers.

Attachment 117568
We used to park on Sunday's near or in front of Jarrett's Hardware and then we would walk to St Mary's and pass by the Chevrolet dealer. Wasn't that Rudolph Chevy? I loved looking in Jarrett's window as a little kid. After Jarrett's moved, if I remember right, they took their sign with them. When they were finally gone for good I bought some of the neon glass from the sign. I don't remember what it said but it was not the large letters.

It seems funny but I remember a automobile wrecking yard just down a ways from Jarrett's too. I think it was Phoenix Auto Wrecking. I being a little kid, thought it was neat to walk by and look at the latest wrecks they got in. They later moved down to 7th St and in high school we junked a few cars and bought/sold some of the parts to a guy we knew as "Herman", the owner of Phoenix Auto wrecking.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 6,966 times
Hi all. great thread. Lived here since mid 70s. Here is where I was:
51st Ave & Campbell 75-82
87th Ave & Indian School 82-85
Fountain Place I apts 67th Ave & Butler 85-93
29th St. & Greenway 93-04
21st Ave & Glendale 04-Present

I have fond memories of the 1st 3. Remember seeing Star Wars and Star Trek 2 back to back at the small theater by Maryvale mall. And Empire Strikes Back at Big Sky Drive in.

Anyone have any 70s or 80s photos of Maryvale Mall, and the small theater that was next to it ? I drove by that area the other day, and was unrecognizable. Depressing. I even remember the U Totem and the Mary Moppets on 51st and Camelback. Even the Bonanza on 43rd & Indian School.

Remember Dave Pratt & The Sex Machine band ?

Old 09-07-2013, 12:09 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,057 times
Anyone remember the Phoenix Community Chest and United Red Feather. Both were at the same address in Phoenix.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dsc00877.jpg

The Jarrett's owned the hardware store.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:08 AM

218 posts, read 570,574 times
Quote:
Anyone remember the Phoenix Community Chest and United Red Feather. Both were at the same address in Phoenix.

Attachment 117682

The Jarrett's owned the hardware store.
Yes! I remember the red feather and the Community Chest. Did the United Red Feather become United Way? When I was a very little kid I thought the Red Feather was neat and we always had one in our front door window even though we were amazingly poor. I had forgotten all about that! Thanks!

Old 09-08-2013, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,478 times
Not sure if this was mentioned before but in Christown just behind the Orange Julius kiosk there was a bar undergroung called "the janitors closet". It was down some stairs and dark and it had a bunch of pipes running thru it for the plumbing in Christown. You could order liquor, beer, wine the whole bit. It was a full on bar. My dad took me down there in like 79 it was the coolest thing.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:02 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,086,308 times
Quote:
Approaching 900,000 views people.

Here is the only photo I know of, Bob's Big Boy in Phoenix. I believe credit goes to Facebook's Vintage Phoenix page.

Attachment 117360

Is that a '56 Lincoln Continental? Also, remember those Hopi sand painting decorations above the entrance?
Just to be accurate, they were Navajo designs. Wikipedia incorrectly calls them Hopi "kachinas".
The mosaics at the Phx Bob's were designed by the famous Millard Sheets, known for a wealth of mosaic logo and building exteriors in the 50s-70s. Lots of existing examples of his work, particularly in California. The design is a Navajo depiction of the sun spirit.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewarder View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned before but in Christown just behind the Orange Julius kiosk there was a bar undergroung called "the janitors closet". It was down some stairs and dark and it had a bunch of pipes running thru it for the plumbing in Christown. You could order liquor, beer, wine the whole bit. It was a full on bar. My dad took me down there in like 79 it was the coolest thing.
Chris-Town Retrospective
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area