Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 04:57 PM

24,315 posts, read 13,167,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is another view of Sun City. The full circle drives are a nightmare because they have continuous house numbers completely around the circle. You never know where to start or which direction you are driving.

Attachment 116574
In 1982 before I left for the AF I delivered medical supplies, with a couple of clients in Sun City. What a nightmare... waiting on golf carts, the speed bumps, and the numbering system that did not follow the logical and easy-to-find format of the rest of the Phoenix area. It took at least a half hour the first time to find one place... round and round and round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:36 PM

88 posts, read 273,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toextra View Post
New member here. Not a Phoenix native but lived here 57 years.
In reply to a discussion from a couple years ago, I remember Herman Spoot. He was on a show called "Easy Does It" (I think) on Ch. 12. Easy, the host, was Gene McKinney (sp?). I don't know what his previous position was at 12. My mom remembered that it was sort of a "thinking-man's kids show", as some of the humor was topical and way over kids' heads. Based on where we lived at the time, the show would have been on in 1957-1958.
I knew somebody besides my brother and me had to remember Herman Spoot. I do recall a photo of my brother and me wearing Herman Spoot t-shirts standing in the front yard of the John F Long home we moved into 11/57. Since I just turned 2 that same month, I figured if I could remember the show, I would have to have been about 4 years old. That's why I guessed 1959-60-61. Anyway, thanks!

Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 PM

And now for Mitch Miller and the gang, as they sing:

"Wake up and live in Sun City,
For the active new way of life.
Wake up and live in Sun City,
Mr Senior Citizen and wife."

Don't remember any more. (yes, I know it wasn't really mitch miller. I just wanted to have "A simple sing-a-long, loud and strong.")

Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 PM

Default further proof

Quote:
New member here. Not a Phoenix native but lived here 57 years.
In reply to a discussion from a couple years ago, I remember Herman Spoot. He was on a show called "Easy Does It" (I think) on Ch. 12. Easy, the host, was Gene McKinney (sp?). I don't know what his previous position was at 12. My mom remembered that it was sort of a "thinking-man's kids show", as some of the humor was topical and way over kids' heads. Based on where we lived at the time, the show would have been on in 1957-1958.

"TV historian Gary Grossman also found that Phoenix had a program known as Easy Does It, starring one Gene Kinnery, but again, no further information on it has been located."
from the book Hi There. Boys and Girls! America's Local Children's TV Programs by Tim Hollis.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 PM

22 posts, read 50,720 times
Does anyone remember, or (better yet) have any information on Valley National Bank's automated parking garage which was downtown until the late '50s?
It was basically a forklift sort of thing that picked up your car and placed it in a pigeonhole up on a wall, and retrieved it when you came to claim the car. My mom's cousin bought a new '57 Plymouth which was too low to the ground and the forklift wouldn't go under the car. Seems they closed the garage around that time.
I have searched the net but only found a brief mention of it in an article about a similar garage in Portland or Seattle.

Thanx!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:43 AM

220 posts, read 656,666 times
In the 60s, there was a bank robbery downtown. I believe it was a First National Bank. The teller or employee was termed as "kidnapped". There was a time when he was determined to be part of the robbery. The officials brought in Peter Hurkos to see if he could find out where this kidnapped man was as, I believe, his family was caught in a bad situation of no income, and unable to claim any insurance, etc. Peter Hurkos said he 'saw' the man 'off of a dirt road'. He did not say the man was dead or alive, however. I do recall that Hurkos had a show at the Flamingo Hotel (2501 E. Van Buren), and we went to see him. I believe it was several years later they found the bank employee's remains just off the old old highway to Globe, AZ. Does anyone remember this?... I can't find any details online and I want to tell myself "good memory, girl..."

Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,915,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
In the 60s, there was a bank robbery downtown. I believe it was a First National Bank. The teller or employee was termed as "kidnapped". There was a time when he was determined to be part of the robbery. The officials brought in Peter Hurkos to see if he could find out where this kidnapped man was as, I believe, his family was caught in a bad situation of no income, and unable to claim any insurance, etc. Peter Hurkos said he 'saw' the man 'off of a dirt road'. He did not say the man was dead or alive, however. I do recall that Hurkos had a show at the Flamingo Hotel (2501 E. Van Buren), and we went to see him. I believe it was several years later they found the bank employee's remains just off the old old highway to Globe, AZ. Does anyone remember this?... I can't find any details online and I want to tell myself "good memory, girl..."
Peter Hurkos was a good friend of my grandparents. He was at their house often and he always made me very nervous. I was living with my grandparents at the time and was only 17. I don't recall how they met him but they said, after he moved to CA, he got caught up in the 'celebrity crowd'. He wrote a book and my grandparents names are in it. They owned a mine and he kept telling them it was a vein of the Lost Dutchman. Yeah, right.

I do remember one time when he, my grandparents and myself were out to dinner together and he told the waitress and LOT of stuff about herself. Talked about her recent surgery and the fact that she'd had a house fire and lost everything. I think he scared her. lol

Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,629,381 times
Quote:
Does anyone remember, or (better yet) have any information on Valley National Bank's automated parking garage which was downtown until the late '50s?
It was basically a forklift sort of thing that picked up your car and placed it in a pigeonhole up on a wall, and retrieved it when you came to claim the car. My mom's cousin bought a new '57 Plymouth which was too low to the ground and the forklift wouldn't go under the car. Seems they closed the garage around that time.
I have searched the net but only found a brief mention of it in an article about a similar garage in Portland or Seattle.

Thanx!
I have a photo of the place but as usual too lazy to name it properly so it is just a number in my computer. I believe it was on the northeast corner of 1st Street and Monroe. I remember a picture in the newspaper showing a car hanging halfway off the first level.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,629,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learicalAZ View Post
And now for Mitch Miller and the gang, as they sing:

"Wake up and live in Sun City,
For the active new way of life.
Wake up and live in Sun City,
Mr Senior Citizen and wife."

Don't remember any more. (yes, I know it wasn't really mitch miller. I just wanted to have "A simple sing-a-long, loud and strong.")
'Mr. senior Citizen and Girlfriend' would have worked too. I went to many garage sales in Sun City and the woman selling the stuff was the widow and way too young to be living out there.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:43 PM

26 posts, read 68,067 times
The Mexico Cafe was on about 13th St. and Van Buren. That was the first restaurant I ever went to. About 1950.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area