Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 02:16 PM

53 posts, read 129,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I think you're right Mike, I remember driving over the bumps, or dips in the parking lot. The last time I was at that K-Mart was probably about year ago and I drove up to the north side of parking lot, close to Motel 6 and I do remember the dips.

I didn't even know K-Mart closed..
That K-Mart is NOT closed. I only live about a half mile away and I pass it every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 02:24 PM

53 posts, read 129,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I would love to see those. Our city tends to eradicate evidence of its past, so it fascinates me when I can find anything like that - especially if it's something I remember.

For instance, this is the old Copper Belle Restaurant, a riverboat-shaped restaurant that was at 1534 W. Camelback in the 1960s/1970s

I ate at the Copper Belle at least two or three times when I was about a 5 or 6 year old kid.

My grandparents used to love to go there.

IIRC, I think there were big pictures of WC Fields and Laurel & Hardy on a few of the interior walls.

My memory is a bit hazy on this one, though...

Old 04-20-2015, 02:27 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M. View Post
That K-Mart is NOT closed. I only live about a half mile away and I pass it every day.
Thanks Paul - I know the one on 35th Ave & Greenway did close, I forgot exactly when, but it was sometime in the last 12 months or so.

I also remember 43rd Ave & Greenway during high school days (mid 1970s) my girlfriend at the time lived with her parents in that area and there were mostly ranch style houses, and I remember they had horses in the their large back yard. Some of the houses in that area today are still like that, but many have block fences around the properties now.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:22 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,477,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
There are several restaurants that I remember from the past.

Kings table (A buffet restaurant)
Mr C's 50s diner
The Royal Fork
Tuccettis (sp) near town and country)
Lunt ave marble club

Is there any Swensen ice cream shops around other than in metrocenter?
Man, I miss Tuchetti's.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M. View Post
My bad on the K-Mart. I haven't been by there in a while and thought it was closed - obviously I was mistaken.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:21 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Man, I miss Tuchetti's.

They made the best dang Caesar salad EVER!!!

Old 04-23-2015, 10:46 AM

4 posts, read 5,083 times
Default I remember when the Safeway at 48th and Indian School road had a soda fountain!

I remember when the Safeway at 48th and Indian School road had a soda fountain! Back in 1968 I would walk to Safeway and buy a burger, fries, and a shake for $1.09.

I remember when Kachina Elementary was on Cambell and 44th and was later torn down to build condos.

I remember a bar/hippy hang out called The Monestary on 48th street and the canal where I used to go (I was just a kid) and play volleyball with the grown ups.

I remember the best food in the entire world came from Pete's Fish and Chips on 44th and Indian School Rd.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddykidd View Post
I remember when the Safeway at 48th and Indian School road had a soda fountain! Back in 1968 I would walk to Safeway and buy a burger, fries, and a shake for $1.09.

I remember when Kachina Elementary was on Cambell and 44th and was later torn down to build condos.

I remember a bar/hippy hang out called The Monestary on 48th street and the canal where I used to go (I was just a kid) and play volleyball with the grown ups.

I remember the best food in the entire world came from Pete's Fish and Chips on 44th and Indian School Rd.
I remember soda fountains being a lot more common in department stores and drugstores and groceries back then. The McCrory's in the middle of Thomas Mall had a big one, and we used to eat at the soda fountain at the drug store next to Bayless on 32nd and McDowell all the time. There was a spinning rack of paperbacks right next to the counter, so you could peruse through the books while you were waiting for an order. They also had those napkin dispensers where you could drop a penny in it, pull down a lever, and get a pop-up fortune telling. We used to go the the soda fountain at the Desert Pharmacy at 24th and Indian School as well.

I was going to the Monestary as late as the 1980s to hang out with college buddies and play volleyball - very fun place.

Pete's Fish and Chips, at least, is still there on 44th and Indian School: http://www.petesfishandchips.com/men...4th_Street.pdf

Old 04-24-2015, 10:45 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,156,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
There are several restaurants that I remember from the past.

Kings table (A buffet restaurant)
Mr C's 50s diner
The Royal Fork
Tuccettis (sp) near town and country)
Lunt ave marble club

Is there any Swensen ice cream shops around other than in metrocenter?
The one in Metro is gone also, just an empty concrete slab there now.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:08 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
The one in Metro is gone also, just an empty concrete slab there now.
Really? Bummer!

I guess its been awhile since i have been down to metrocenter AKA gangbanger central
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area