Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 01:36 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,476,203 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the link to the website - good stuff on there on Broadway, Dillards, etc.

I used to hang out in the Mezzanine at Korrick's as a kid and would buy Charles Schulz's early "Peanuts" collections there in the book section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,608 times
I have scoured the internet for all available things I could find. So I have this site and a bunch of other scraps. I noticed you mentioned some images on the interior of the building. I was hoping that there might be more information on what the actual floors and displays looked like throughout the building. I have only found 2 interior images of the building. Also, I was hoping for some descriptions about the sidewalk which used to have Sidewalk Vault Lights which provided light to the basement. I am hoping to restore the sidewalk and bring back some of the first floor space to reflect the original look.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Thanks for the link to the website - good stuff on there on Broadway, Dillards, etc.

I used to hang out in the Mezzanine at Korrick's as a kid and would buy Charles Schulz's early "Peanuts" collections there in the book section.
Would you be able to send me any detailed descriptions of what you remember about Korrick's? It would really help me get an idea of what was there before it was all covered up. I am trying to figure out how to bring back some of the original elements.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:51 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,476,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphx View Post
Would you be able to send me any detailed descriptions of what you remember about Korrick's? It would really help me get an idea of what was there before it was all covered up. I am trying to figure out how to bring back some of the original elements.
Ahh, I wish I could remember more. I was about 8 or 9 at that time. I remember a fairly large book section in the mezzanine, with tables of stacked books with upright displays with latest releases, much like you see in a Barnes and Noble now. I remember the "balcony" type layout where you could look above and below at the floors, but can't remember much more than that.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:21 AM

218 posts, read 570,412 times
Who went to Phoenix Union High and remembers this clock? Perhaps it was one I watched, hoping it would move just a bit faster. I received this clock from a neighbor who liked to attend salvage auctions and sales. He reported it came from PUHS building demolition. I believe it was about the time Building 8 was razed. It has lived in my attic for some years.

I do clearly remember watching the clocks in class; I suppose everyone does. PUHS had a Master/Slave clock system on the main campus. I am unsure about the stadium and shops on the East side of 7th Street, but I believe the same time system was utilized there also.

There was a master clock, probably in the Admin. Building and it provided an electrical pulse every 60 seconds to every slave clock. This way every clock in every building would advance one minute at a time. No second hand on these solenoid operated clocks. Every clock would be perfectly synchronized, baring a malfunction. All the bells would ring, perfectly in time, and we would flood the hallways and stairs as we scrambled to our next class, lunch or for home.

Many of these old slave clocks had a solid copper trim, as this one does. It has been well painted over.

Last edited by jukebox47; 12-03-2012 at 04:56 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 AM

28 posts, read 62,398 times
Default Magma

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Here's about the most complete article on the Papago POW camp that I've ever seen.

Papago Park POW prisoner of war camp in Phoenix Arizona
Desertratz you mentioned you worked for Magma..Do you remember Jack Dodge??

Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM

283 posts, read 880,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIP66 View Post
Desertratz you mentioned you worked for Magma..Do you remember Jack Dodge??
Name doesn't ring a bell, but it's been many years since I worked there. Several names of the the people I worked closely with come to mind, just not that one. Sorry.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-korricks-rest-room.jpg I guess it was a big deal to have restrooms at the time in stores.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:53 AM

30 posts, read 101,839 times
Anyone remember these? Willy & Guillermo's mugs.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-willy-guillermos-1.jpgHow do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-willy-guillermos-2.jpg

I went to the one in Phoenix on Cental Avenue.

I don't remember if the food was any good, but the margaritas sure were.
After a 51 oz margarita maybe that is why I didn't remember the food.

Those were the days.

I filled the mug with sugar to take the pictures.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 AM

427 posts, read 1,187,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 1946 View Post
Anyone remember these? Willy & Guillermo's mugs.

Attachment 104393Attachment 104394

I went to the one in Phoenix on Cental Avenue.

I don't remember if the food was any good, but the margaritas sure were.
After a 51 oz margarita maybe that is why I didn't remember the food.

Those were the days.

I filled the mug with sugar to take the pictures.
I remember going there (W & G's on N. Central) once in about '78-79 maybe. Fun time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area