Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 05:47 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea62 View Post
Trillcatz, you just made my day, month, year!!! You mentioned Phoenix Stamp & Coin. That was my father's business for over 50 years (it became Nagel's in later years and moved to various locations). Their original sign (which said buy in yellow on the right and sell on the left, with the Phoenix Stamp and Coin name in the center panel in white), we saw many years later, in use by a used car dealer in Sunnyslope. It, too, is now gone. Why did your family stop there, may I ask? Were they coin or stamp collectors? He passed away a few years ago. It is nice that there are people who still remember their shop on Central and he did not leave in anonymity. Thank you for your post.
The Nagel brothers, had a shop on Central north of the Westward Ho near Millie's Flower Shop. They later moved over to the strip of stores at the Sahara Hotel on 1st Street. Lawson was the stamp dealer, Ralph was coins, and Jack was real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 AM

82 posts, read 358,612 times
Are there any photos of the Riverside Park Pool area? Ive tried googling but turn up very little on the place. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM

82 posts, read 358,612 times
Just wanted to let everyone know there is a Roosevelt District Tour this weekend Nov 10th. Come visit!

Tour Tickets « Roosevelt Neighborhood

Old 11-07-2012, 08:07 PM

283 posts, read 880,527 times
Neat site with some good pics of Phoenix as well as other areas around the state.

The Funset Strip

Old 11-09-2012, 04:23 AM

218 posts, read 570,011 times
Well preserved decimal equivalent tin sign from an old Phoenix machine shop. They still had the ALpine telephone number. I still use the values every so often. I am sorry the pic is sideways.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 PM

53 posts, read 153,004 times
Default RJ Heyne Machine Company

After graduating from Camelback High in '68 I spent part of the summer as a burr hand, gang drill operator and general go-fer for RJH.

I'll never forget Naco who ran the punch press. He was down to about 4 fingers and 1.5 thumbs.

If your fingers didn't clear the table before you hit the punch button with your foot...........LOOKOUT!!

They had a Coke machine with the small bottles for a nickel.

That experience told me: no unions, no to becoming a machinist (despite the fact that my father and grandfather were mechanical engineers and ran a machine shop of their own), no to working indoors.

dgsaz

Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Some things to do and places to see (55 years ago):

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-sl1.jpg
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-sl2.jpg
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-sl3.jpg

Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,005 times
Default Cool Link for Phoenix area

I grew up in what was north Phoenix from 1959-1972. Cactus and 31st Ave. Check out this cool website. Joan De Arc Avenue.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 AM

218 posts, read 570,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roymiii View Post
I grew up in what was north Phoenix from 1959-1972. Cactus and 31st Ave. Check out this cool website. Joan De Arc Avenue.
What a great web site. I always wondered what happened to the Legend City Locomotive! This site covers a lot of amazing stuff from the "old days". Thank You!

Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 PM

76 posts, read 143,330 times
anyone remember Maryvue Park off Osborne in west Phoenix? It was a one-stop drugstore in the 70's. For all hippies this was THE place to get weed & acid without fear of police intervention. Even in Chandler we knew of this mystical park as it was legendary to everyone. As to how this was legally allowed, from my recollection, the Phoenix police were hesitant to intervene due to a fear of riot or other negative reaction from those at the park, whether selling or buying. The cops would come in through the parking lot in their cars but it was a formality as they'd never get out and harass anyone. At night dozens of cars with trunks open and tables set up like a Park N Swap with sellers yelling out their wares. In my mind as a teen, I saw no harm but as time has passed, I'm surprised with respect to the conservative nature of the police back then. And yes, today I feel different about how drugs effect people. But as a teen then, it sure was fun. Sorry if this offends people but times were different then...at least that's my excuse. Any memories of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area