Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 12:51 PM

3,165 posts, read 1,157,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1956 View Post
anyone remember Maryvue Park off Osborne in west Phoenix? It was a one-stop drugstore in the 70's. For all hippies this was THE place to get weed & acid without fear of police intervention. Even in Chandler we knew of this mystical park as it was legendary to everyone. As to how this was legally allowed, from my recollection, the Phoenix police were hesitant to intervene due to a fear of riot or other negative reaction from those at the park, whether selling or buying. The cops would come in through the parking lot in their cars but it was a formality as they'd never get out and harass anyone. At night dozens of cars with trunks open and tables set up like a Park N Swap with sellers yelling out their wares. In my mind as a teen, I saw no harm but as time has passed, I'm surprised with respect to the conservative nature of the police back then. And yes, today I feel different about how drugs effect people. But as a teen then, it sure was fun. Sorry if this offends people but times were different then...at least that's my excuse. Any memories of this?
I was there...couldn't beleive it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Greatday made a comment in another post about how he remembers when Sky Harbor Airport was a grass strip...out in the middle of nowhere. That had to have been quite a while back...but I love to hear of how Phoenix used to be.

If you've never been, I highly recommend checking out some of the downtown neighborhoods...right off 7th Ave, east to about Central, and just south of McDowell. The streets are lined with huge palm trees, the houses are small, everyone has lawns and it just has a great feel about it.

I've heard stories of when I-17 stopped at Bell Rd and everything up here in North Phoenix was just orange tree groves in every direciton...that must have been something!

I've been here since 1992 and didn't catch any of that, but things have changed a bit since I've been here.
The 101 was...well, there was no 101. The bridges for the overpasses were in place, but it was just dirt and Beardsley was the road that everyone used. There were some older houses north of Beardsley (101), but only between 35th Ave and say 7th St...nothing else was developed, it was just open desert. I remember the merchantile store at 91st Ave and Pinnacle Peak being in the middle of nowhere and it was sort of a half way point on the way to Lake Pleasant, a place you stopped to gas up and grab some snacks...now it's in the middle of everything.
I've been here since 1956. The Phoenix city limits were around Camelback or Bethany Home Rd. I-17 was called the Black Canyon Highway. It was a 2 lane highway and was way out of the city limits. It was just a country road. I remember when the population hit 50,000. We thought it was such a big city. The area which is now Cave Creek Rd and Cactus was actually a small town called Cactus,Arizona. The Cactus Post Office sat just North of Cactus on Cave Creek Rd.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 PM

24,329 posts, read 13,185,392 times
Here's a topo of Cactus from 1965 with an additional overlay from 1982. A small town that got swallowed up by Phoenix. Sort of like Curry's Corner between Scottsdale and Carefree.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-az_cactus_1965_1-24k.jpg  

Last edited by SluggoF16; 11-16-2012 at 02:44 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 03:46 PM

76 posts, read 143,562 times
I do remember Pima Rd turning to dirt prior to Shea Blvd and going over to Scottsdale Rd North to get to Carefree/Cave Creek. In Cave Creek I remember the Horny Toad restaurant and a place called Harold's near there. Harold's was a country bar/restaurant and a page right out of the 1940's. Wooden floors and they later added a backyard area with bandstand. When I'd go there with my friends in the 70's and coming in with long hair and such, the locals there would turn and stare at us like we were aliens from space. The food was good and cheap and I remember the BBQ 1/2 chicken and beans being quite a bit of food for around $3.75. We'd drive all the way from Chandler for this. Good times!

Also, I laid tile in an upscale house in Cave Creek in the late 70's and next door there was, what was supposed to be, the largest Saguaro cactus in the world. It was MASSIVE and had so many arms that it was hard to count. Anyone know of this?

Old 11-16-2012, 04:36 PM

24,329 posts, read 13,185,392 times
Found this one... Delivery from a pharmacy!
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-lutes.jpg  

Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 PM

427 posts, read 1,188,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrizzo View Post
I've been here since 1956. The Phoenix city limits were around Camelback or Bethany Home Rd. I-17 was called the Black Canyon Highway. It was a 2 lane highway and was way out of the city limits. It was just a country road. I remember when the population hit 50,000. We thought it was such a big city. The area which is now Cave Creek Rd and Cactus was actually a small town called Cactus,Arizona. The Cactus Post Office sat just North of Cactus on Cave Creek Rd.
South of Dobbins Rd was not in the city limits back in '60...I don't know where the limit was...Baseline? Dobbins? For the most part anything beyond Cactus and Cave Creek was desert back in the early 70's. Wasn't 19th Ave and Bethany/Glendale/Northern still lined with palm trees in the early 70's. It's hard to believe that 1960 was more than half a century ago...and desert parties in the early 70's were forty years ago...I don't feel that old...

Old 11-17-2012, 04:47 PM

427 posts, read 1,188,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Here's a topo of Cactus from 1965 with an additional overlay from 1982. A small town that got swallowed up by Phoenix. Sort of like Curry's Corner between Scottsdale and Carefree.
All of those houses were out there in '65? Or is that the '82 part?

Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,079,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
All of those houses were out there in '65? Or is that the '82 part?
black things are structures/roads existing in '65....pink areas/roads are new between '65 and '82....

Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 PM

285 posts, read 906,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
In the overlay, if one looks at the site of Larkspur school, this is the location of the former Cactus airport (“Cactus Development Inc. Airport” or "North Phoenix Airport") from early 40's -approx 1960.
The attached pic (1962) will show what was left of the airport runways as development started consuming the area.

Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Arizona: Northeastern Phoenix area
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-cactus-airport-1962.jpg  

Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,634,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1956 View Post

Also, I laid tile in an upscale house in Cave Creek in the late 70's and next door there was, what was supposed to be, the largest Saguaro cactus in the world. It was MASSIVE and had so many arms that it was hard to count. Anyone know of this?

I this the cactus? How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-lg-cactus.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area