Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 05:15 PM

283 posts, read 880,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsaz1950 View Post
Who could forget Parry's, The Hut, and the Casa Loma bar in Tempe.

dgsaz
Hey don't forget the Q & Brew as well as 6 East on Mill in Tempe. So many choices before you headed out to catch the midnight flicks at the Valley Art theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:26 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
anybody remember the monk's garden at 44th st and camelback?....very popular back then....don't remember if it qualified as a "fern bar", but it may've had a few macrame holders around....
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dsc00295.jpg

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dsc00296.jpg

Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 AM

111 posts, read 338,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Hey don't forget the Q & Brew as well as 6 East on Mill in Tempe. So many choices before you headed out to catch the midnight flicks at the Valley Art theater.
Ah, the Q & Brew! What a handy place to which to repair, when one simply had to avoid an extremely boring professor who gave an extremely boring lecture. Anything to maintain psychological equilibrium.

And the 6 East establishment! Oh my! Anyone remember Georgia the barmaid, the most notorious exhibitionist south of the Salt River? One afternoon, a drunk came in the door and spotted Georgia tending bar as usual. He bellowed, "I didn't know they had a strip joint this close to campus."

O tempora, O mores!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,227 times
Quote:
How about the Hitching Post at 40th and Camelback. When Camelback was widened the piece of land would no longer support the bar and restaurant. I believe that's when Russ Lyon started advertising on the bill board that was erected on the same spot. Lyon has been out of the business for a while and I don't know who is on the billboard now.

Other restaurants of the era and ilk were, The Salt Cellar in south Scottsdale, Cork and Cleaver on 12st and in Scottsdale, the Tempe North Bank and Victoria Station.

For the low life's in the crowd, how about Patty's Inn at 42nd Street and Washington or Hamm's on 24th Street and the Gopher Club. Who could forget Parry's, The Hut, and the Casa Loma bar in Tempe.

In the early years of the North Bank 10k (later to become the Phoenix 10K) the course ran east on the north bank of the canal to the restaurant / finish.

dgsaz
Sheesh, I must be a low life, I'm crushed . Hamms was a favorite neighborhood place that was always busy. Also don't get me started on the Gopher Club. I lived close enough that I could crawl home at closing time, in fact I think i did a few times. It was very popular spot in the '70's ,had some good times there. I remember when "Spaghetti Joe" worked there for a spell as A bartender. He seemed like a nice friendly guy!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:54 AM

53 posts, read 152,989 times
Default Low Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
Sheesh, I must be a low life, I'm crushed . Hamms was a favorite neighborhood place that was always busy. Also don't get me started on the Gopher Club. I lived close enough that I could crawl home at closing time, in fact I think i did a few times. It was very popular spot in the '70's ,had some good times there. I remember when "Spaghetti Joe" worked there for a spell as A bartender. He seemed like a nice friendly guy!
It's not like it's a bad thing................ya know?

Would that be Joe Spagnola (?) the ASU QB?

I somehow missed that..............gee, I wonder.

dgsaz

Old 06-28-2012, 04:15 PM

107 posts, read 422,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post
Ah, the Q & Brew! What a handy place to which to repair, when one simply had to avoid an extremely boring professor who gave an extremely boring lecture. Anything to maintain psychological equilibrium.

And the 6 East establishment! Oh my! Anyone remember Georgia the barmaid, the most notorious exhibitionist south of the Salt River? One afternoon, a drunk came in the door and spotted Georgia tending bar as usual. He bellowed, "I didn't know they had a strip joint this close to campus."

O tempora, O mores!
Oh man, you're making me wish I'd spent my time at ASU more wisely! Completely missed out on Georgia.

But I do recall one glorious March afternoon about '72 when I should have been in class, instead basking in the sun and sipping a beer at Phoenix Muni watching a spring training game. Cubs vs Giants maybe, or it actually might have been Giants vs ASU's ball club; they played each other once in a while back then I think. ASU had a good team, with guys like Eddie Bane and Alan Bannister.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 AM

53 posts, read 152,989 times
Default Phoenix Muni

Does anyone recall 5 cent beer night at the Phoenix Giants games?

The idea was labeled complete folly or complete genius depending on who you asked.

It was so successful the price was raised to 10 cents, then there was a limit placed on how much you could buy at one time (which would explain all the people arriving at the park with cardboard boxes).

Ultimately it was soooooo popular it was discontinued to protect the public.

dgsaz

Old 06-29-2012, 10:19 AM

24,281 posts, read 13,134,357 times
Quote:
Does anyone recall 5 cent beer night at the Phoenix Giants games?

The idea was labeled complete folly or complete genius depending on who you asked.

It was so successful the price was raised to 10 cents, then there was a limit placed on how much you could buy at one time (which would explain all the people arriving at the park with cardboard boxes).

Ultimately it was soooooo popular it was discontinued to protect the public.

dgsaz
I don't remember the cost in 1982, but it was cheap, maybe $.50. Not a lot of interest in the game, but the concession stands were busy.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:19 PM

Dear How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents... forum thread,

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:55 AM

But maybe it has all been said, and remembered. We'll see.
It has had a hell of a good run, anyway
...like so many of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area