Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 02:30 PM

111 posts, read 338,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
Does anyone remember Sandy's Restaurant? It was really a place like a Jack-In The Box or McDonalds. I think there was one at about 51st or 59th Ave & Indian School. It was next to a carwash on the South side of Indian School.
Yes. Delicious. Phoenix did not have many, however, as I remember, a few in Tucson were considered the gold standard for that sort of thing. An institution in the Old Pueblo. It was a hang out must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 08:10 PM

283 posts, read 880,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
Does anyone remember Sandy's Restaurant? It was really a place like a Jack-In The Box or McDonalds. I think there was one at about 51st or 59th Ave & Indian School. It was next to a carwash on the South side of Indian School.
Sandy's Hamburgers Drive-In Sandys 1960s 1950s McDonalds Hardees Burger King Lendy's Burger Chef Biff Burger Big Boy Henry's

Old 07-05-2012, 04:29 AM

218 posts, read 570,244 times
That is quite a web site! Thanks! Now I remember why I liked Sandy's, it must have been the pretty Scottish girl! The food was good as I remember it and so were the chocolate shakes!

Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 PM

7,177 posts, read 9,228,608 times
Here's an interesting gallery showing floods in past years.

Panoramio - Photos by Flood Control District

I didn't move here until 66 so can't remember the previous floods.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 PM

156 posts, read 420,405 times
Cool link!!!!!

Thanks

Old 07-06-2012, 09:12 AM

283 posts, read 880,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Here's an interesting gallery showing floods in past years.

Panoramio - Photos by Flood Control District

I didn't move here until 66 so can't remember the previous floods.
Very cool indeed! I remember the 72 floods, especially the part where I was trying to get from the west valley to the east on a motorcycle down Camelback Rd. I was truly a drowned rat on that day! The Black Canyon freeway from roughly Van Buren to who knows how far north was just a canal full of submerged cars when the drainage pumps where overwhelmed and failed. I remember some guy put his boat in there and was putting up and down before he was chased out by the police. It poured rain steadily for several days probably because of some stalled tropical depression or something?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
He also skipped bail and headed straight for Mexico and hasn't been seen since. Kinda ironic ain't it??

[URL]https://www.facebook.com/groups/roma.lov/#!/groups/364297786974862/[/URL]
Please come share your stories of the Valley with us on Facebook...

Old 07-06-2012, 05:31 PM

107 posts, read 422,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Very cool indeed! I remember the 72 floods, especially the part where I was trying to get from the west valley to the east on a motorcycle down Camelback Rd. I was truly a drowned rat on that day! The Black Canyon freeway from roughly Van Buren to who knows how far north was just a canal full of submerged cars when the drainage pumps where overwhelmed and failed. I remember some guy put his boat in there and was putting up and down before he was chased out by the police. It poured rain steadily for several days probably because of some stalled tropical depression or something?
Backed-up traffic crossing the Mill Ave bridge made me late for the evening final exam in a history class at ASU. (At least I wasn't on a motorcycle!)
I think there was a pretty long period during that school year when I would get up extra early every day to get to campus since I always had to cross the Salt.

One of the pix on that very cool flood website shows Christown's parking lot full of water. That must have been the time I remember sandbags around my grandparents' house, on 15th ave just north of Christown.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:24 PM

272 posts, read 609,137 times
About The Salt River flooding:

Maybe early or mid 80s - does anyone remember when they had to close the newest bridge over the Salt (with a higher CFS - cubic feet/second - rating) because it was deemed unsafe, while the WPA-era Mill Avenue bridge (with a far lower CFS rating) was allowed to remain open? IIRC the river was flowing at 200,000 CFS, which was way over what the Mill Ave bridge was designed for - and it remained safe.

I thought it was a little ironic.

Am I remembering this correctly?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:35 PM

24,295 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
About The Salt River flooding:

Maybe early or mid 80s - does anyone remember when they had to close the newest bridge over the Salt (with a higher CFS - cubic feet/second - rating) because it was deemed unsafe, while the WPA-era Mill Avenue bridge (with a far lower CFS rating) was allowed to remain open? IIRC the river was flowing at 200,000 CFS, which was way over what the Mill Ave bridge was designed for - and it remained safe.

I thought it was a little ironic.

Am I remembering this correctly?
Mid-to-late February 1980. One of the I-10 bridges closed, Mill stayed open. Central was open briefly, and was then closed, but most of the other river crossings were either culverts, fords (LWCs), or "bridges". Used to park at the zoo and bike across Mill to ASU. One of my buds lived in Hayden Hall on Apache where it bends to Mill... we'd sit on the ledge and watch the traffic crawl by, usually backed up to the Howard Johnson's. I was fortunate in that the traffic flow was opposite my direction of travel so I was never really caught in it.

It was interesting to stand on the bank where the Rural Road crossing used to be (near Packard Stadium). See earlier post for additionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area