Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 04:25 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,995 times

Advertisements

Heres another for your dining & dancing pleasure.

If you don't know who these greasers are - you have no business being on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-hubbcapp-papago-park.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 PM

Default Heymans Furniture Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Victorian building is where Hyman's Furniture used to be before they built the new building behind Korricks

Attachment 57047
Great shot. Heres another view of "Heymans" Furniture Co. c1907

Light Rail anyone?

Check out those telephone poles on the left!
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-heymans.jpg  

Old 01-25-2010, 05:13 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Great shot. Heres another view of "Heymans" Furniture Co. c1907

Light Rail anyone?

Check out those telephone poles on the left!
Note the General Electric Arc Lamp hanging in the intersection. These things were about 4 feet tall and had to be lowered on occasion to reset the carbon elements or whatever they were called. A lot of voltage was going through those things. The lamp was lowered by a pulley I guess and the maintenance man stood on a rubber stool when working on it.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
this Heyman's store with the two towers appears to be on the NW corner of some intersection, right?....which intersection?...1st St and ????.....thanks

Old 01-26-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
this Heyman's store with the two towers appears to be on the NW corner of some intersection, right?....which intersection?...1st St and ????.....thanks
When you see two pairs of trolley tracks it is always Washington Street.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:33 AM

Default Washington & 1st Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
Its Washington & 1st Street looking west -north west

Old 01-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Default phelps dodge tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
When you see two pairs of trolley tracks it is always Washington Street.
Heres a photo taken about 8 months ago.
The Phelps Dodge Tower now stands between Central & 1st Street facing Washington.
Thats the old Korricks /Maricopa Tech College building to the right.
I've inset the original image to show where the "Anderson" (Heyman's Furniture) building once stood. To the right of that you can see part of the remaining structures (gray & white) mentioned earlier concerning Majerle's.

The construction on the left is of course, CityScape.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-phelps-dodge-tower.jpg  

Old 01-30-2010, 06:46 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,404,473 times
It never smells like rain anymore, in the valley. When I was a kid you always knew it was about to rain cuz the air just had that smell. Maybe only young people can smell it, or maybe it's gone.

But Valley About to Rain Smell...I miss you. =(

Old 01-31-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
It never smells like rain anymore, in the valley. When I was a kid you always knew it was about to rain cuz the air just had that smell. Maybe only young people can smell it, or maybe it's gone.

But Valley About to Rain Smell...I miss you. =(
I can easily smell rain, but I have a hightened sense of smell; I would trade that for good hearing any day though. My mom could smell a gas leak that no one else could smell back in the days when people had a little gas heater in their living rooms with no vent. The old wives' tale about putting a pot of water on the stove didn't work. Back in the 50's there were many stories in the paper about people dying in a room with a gas heater.

My dad used to work for International Harvester on Van Buren and 7th Ave. He was in the parts department, grease everywhere. I thought grease was the best smelling stuff on earth. Many years later I noticed that Rainbo Bread bakery was next door......

Old 01-31-2010, 07:33 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,232 times
I found some more cool websites with old photos of the Valley (see page 69 of this thread for an earlier link-thread I did of photo sites):

Pleasant Valley Shopping: Nice blog about long gone retail chains, supermarkets, and discount stores - not Arizona specific, but the photos will jog your memories of old chains like Woolco, FedMart,

Here's a link to the Arizona-themed posts (Woolco, Sears, Safeway, Lucky's) , but look all around this site, it's interesting:

Pleasant Family Shopping: Arizona

A guide to the HoJos of America: AZ here:

Howard Johnson's Classic Locations in Arizona

Some on-line photos from the Tempe Historical Museum:

eMuseum

A "Lost Mall" post on Thomas Mall - there's even a photo of the famed Piranha fish tank and the "modern" art sculptures that dotted the mall:

Malls of America - Vintage photos of lost Shopping Malls of the '50s, '60s & '70s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area