Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsmas View Post
Actually, maybe I wasn't clear but the Bayless I was referring to was in that little strip mall on 56th and Thomas, NW corner.
I think it's a thrift store now. The Fry's/Smitty's is on about 60th and Thomas, right down the street-- remember it well when it was a Smitty's.

That Bayless had a drugstore right next door and back in the '60s had a lunch counter, just like the ones in Norman Rockwell pictures, with ice cream floats and great burgers. When that counter closed I was so bummed.

And there was a Ben Franklin five and dime store in that little mall. Used to go there and spend my 15 cents and have a blast the rest of the week.
My bad: it was AJ Bayless. Note I was not even here when they were around but people still talk about that grocery store chain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 05:52 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glsmas View Post
Thanks to the great article about Van Buren, I got the name of our motel in 1960-- the Tahiti at about 30th st. I remember the sign, and the A/C was COLD.

Speaking of Van Buren's fall from grace, I looks like in 1960 we were privileged to be part of the last of its glory days because as I remember, it wasn't that much later that started going downhill -- maybe 1964-65. Our family was one of the many that made the trek to Phx from the mid-west, and VB I guess was the main hub back then.

I had to laugh at the part about the old stockyards on 48th and VB -- remember that stench all too well! There's a huge USPS there now as I'm sure everyone knows. When the wind would blow in our direction, it was BAD. We ate at the Stockyards Restaurant once, as I recall I was a little squeamish about that for obvious reasons. Thank God they finally moved it out of town.

Anyone remember when the Salt would flood? I'd get stranded at ASU or vise versa because I had to cross at the Mill bridge. It was fun to walk down there and watch the water though. Such a contrast-- suddenly all that muddy water!

And how about when Sky Harbor was a small 1 terminal? and there was an observation deck where we used to go upstairs to watch the planes. I remember it being so hot there, and with the engine blasts sometimes it was unbearable.

And here's a question for ya'll -- does anyone know where the Riverside pool was located? I can't find any reference to the actual location in Phx.

Continued...
Riverside pool was at Riverside Park and Dance Hall. Just north of the Salt River on Central. The pool had a really high dive platform into only 6 feet of water it was claimed. The dance hall was open air but burned down and was rebuilt about 1950.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My bad: it was AJ Bayless. Note I was not even here when they were around but people still talk about that grocery store chain
I went to grade school with one of his daughters, the one he named his store brand milk and bread after (Nancy Jane). Of course, another daughter Betsey has become much more well known with her work in state and county government.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:00 AM

12 posts, read 35,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Riverside pool was at Riverside Park and Dance Hall. Just north of the Salt River on Central. The pool had a really high dive platform into only 6 feet of water it was claimed. The dance hall was open air but burned down and was rebuilt about 1950.
Thank you for the info. Is the actual site near any present day structure or landmark so I can do a drive by?

I have this thing about visiting historic sites. I love to go to Papago and look for the old German POW foundations-- there are a few blocks of concrete left.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yes, my mom used to love shopping there.

Another poster mentioned "Nancy Jane" milk -- I hadn't heard that name for 40 years! Used to see it in the fridge all the time.

There was another grocery store at 44 th and Thomas NW corner called "Neb's Market" -- long gone too -- she use to stop there also.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I went to grade school with one of his daughters, the one he named his store brand milk and bread after (Nancy Jane). Of course, another daughter Betsey has become much more well known with her work in state and county government.
Nancy Jane milk! Remember it well...

Old 01-10-2010, 04:08 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
Phoenix about 1940 snapshots. Let's hear it from old timers where the pictures were taken.............

Attachment 56146

Attachment 56147

Attachment 56148

Attachment 56149

Attachment 56150

Attachment 56151

Attachment 56152

Attachment 56153

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 07:05 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
#1 is Brophy
#2 is the Wrigley Mansion
#3 is the Grunow Clinic
#4 is ?
#5 is ?
#6 is the Heard Museum???
#7 is "way up" North Central
#8 is looking N on Central, but I don't know the E-W street

great shots, roosevelt....I may be wrong on a couple...let me know!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
I'm thinking 4 is Trinity Cathedral, given the shape of the doorway and the look of the surrounding area.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:31 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,278 times
Default Goodrich building

# 8 is the NW corner of Central & Washington looking North. Thats the Goodrich building with Walgreens at street level.Rennisance Square stands there now. Heres a shot taken about 4 months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dscn0766.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area