Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 05:01 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,628,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
My brother in law was a bartender at the Arizona Manor when he met my sister... let's see, that was 40 plus years ago.
I knew a guy that owned the largest nightclub in Phoenix at one time and people would say they met their wife or husband at the club and he would say "Don't blame me."

Here is a nice postcard of old Phoenix showing the American Kitchen, Miller's Cafeteria and the most famous Indian store in Phoenix, later called Wilson's; that is Wilson and his wife in front. The American Kitchen was opened about 1915 and served Chinese Food which explains the odd marquee sign design but later was Chinese and American food and was the most popular spot to eat in Phoenix in the 30's. Must have closed in late 50's as Phoenix deteriorated and stores moved out to distant malls. Notice the odd keyhole doorway that led to steps upstairs for rented offices.

Attachment 56620

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:15 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 05:40 PM

7 posts, read 21,524 times
Dreamy Draw.. no ones mentioned one of the few curved streets

Old 01-22-2010, 07:40 AM

17 posts, read 128,691 times
I used to work in that office building on the corner of Morten and Dreamy Draw.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willard e. kissinger jr.
When I was a boy, South Phoenix was a separate city with its own mayor, council, and manager--up until the mid-fifties.

Can you please provide something to substantiate this? It just doesn't sound right. South Mountain Park was a Phoenix City Park dating back to the 1920s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willard e. kissinger jr. View Post
Yes, but that was South Mtn. Park, an area annexed by Phoenix. You can look at many cities' maps and see that the incorporated areas are often discontinuous or separated by unincorporated areas or even by areas incorporated by other municipalities. You could check old maps or you could check with the City of Phoenix's relevant offices--maps, zoning, maybe archeology. Or try historical societies or ASU or UA. It is interesting, but I remember it. If you find it was not so, I would love to hear from you. Many almost unbelievable things simply were not much written about at the time, because few felt that they were newsworthy. You might research the archives of the Republic/Gazette or go to the State Archives at the State building or to the Arizona Room, ASU.
I ran across this photo which should settle this:

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-so-phx-unincorp_wm.jpg

Old 01-23-2010, 04:05 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Wow, Roosevelt, you're the best. Your resources amaze me.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Wow, Roosevelt, you're the best. Your resources amaze me.
There was some discussion in the past about the skating rink at Tower Plaza. Found a picture of the Ice Palace, it was 85X200 feet. I remember it was at the back of the shopping center next to the movie theater. There was places to eat along the side.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-tower-plaza-ice-palace.jpg

Old 01-25-2010, 01:39 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,747,420 times
Looks like it is still there...

Arcadia Ice Arena | Come Skate With Us

Old 01-25-2010, 04:07 PM

362 posts, read 1,701,305 times
Default Marjerle's / Baxter Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
Westside Willie:

if things get slow at work again.....uh......those then-and-nows are always nice!

Well since you asked. it is a bit slow again today and Im just sitting here waiting the the stimulus bill to kick in ...and I'll probably still be waiting when this thread gets to be about a million pages long...

Heres one of my all time faves.

Many of you have been there but how many of you are aware that the building that is now occupied by Majerle's Sports Grill is the oldest standing commercial building in Phoenix (and likely the entire county).

It was once a part of the Baxter Block of commercial structures which stood between 1st & 2nd streets bordered on the south by Washington.

This text is copied from another source and of course is referring to the older image -I didnt shoot that one-maybe Roosevelt did -its over 100 years old:

View of north side of Washington Street between First Street and Second Street.
Building to the far right of photo is the Dennis Block on the northeast corner.
On the northwest corner is the Baxter Block.
The top floor of the Baxter Block was the Plaza boarding house.
Next to the Baxter Block is Goldwater's Store, and Bob's Place Saloon.
In the far left of the photo is the Ezra W. Thayer Hardware store.
Majerle's Sports Grill is in a part of the building which use to be the Baxter Block.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-baxter-block-majerles-.jpg  

Old 01-25-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Looks like it is still there...

Arcadia Ice Arena | Come Skate With Us
I ran the little video on their website, it doesn't seem to have changed much from the 60's. The movie theater was called Cinema 1.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Well since you asked. it is a bit slow again today and Im just sitting here waiting the the stimulus bill to kick in ...and I'll probably still be waiting when this thread gets to be about a million pages long...

Heres one of my all time faves.

Many of you have been there but how many of you are aware that the building that is now occupied by Majerle's Sports Grill is the oldest standing commercial building in Phoenix (and likely the entire county).

It was once a part of the Baxter Block of commercial structures which stood between 1st & 2nd streets bordered on the south by Washington.

This text is copied from another source and of course is referring to the older image -I didnt shoot that one-maybe Roosevelt did -its over 100 years old:

View of north side of Washington Street between First Street and Second Street.
Building to the far right of photo is the Dennis Block on the northeast corner.
On the northwest corner is the Baxter Block.
The top floor of the Baxter Block was the Plaza boarding house.
Next to the Baxter Block is Goldwater's Store, and Bob's Place Saloon.
In the far left of the photo is the Ezra W. Thayer Hardware store.
Majerle's Sports Grill is in a part of the building which use to be the Baxter Block.
A friend of mine's mother took this photo about 1917. There is Korricks, the Victorian building is where Hyman's Furniture used to be before they built the new building behind Korricks with Goldwaters on the ground floor. I think the long sign on the right is Donofrio's ice cream parlor. This would be between Central and 1st Street.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-wash.-west.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area