Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 09:22 AM

83 posts, read 311,423 times

Advertisements

speaking of Mesa, has anyone heard of the effort to restore (cosmetically) the old steam engine at Patriots Park And move it to the corner near Main? i found out about it because a friend is making some parts for the headlight that were stolen over time.

what ever happened to the fighter jet that was there? it was an old Saber Jet IIRC, but it's been a long time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 PM

13 posts, read 78,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
speaking of Mesa, has anyone heard of the effort to restore (cosmetically) the old steam engine at Patriots Park And move it to the corner near Main? i found out about it because a friend is making some parts for the headlight that were stolen over time.

what ever happened to the fighter jet that was there? it was an old Saber Jet IIRC, but it's been a long time!
I remember Peoria having a jet setting on a big pole in front of city hall if I remember correctly. Seems like it was a Saber too.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyincaneyville View Post
I remember Peoria having a jet setting on a big pole in front of city hall if I remember correctly. Seems like it was a Saber too.
this was deff in Patriots Park. i have seen the Peoria one (who knows, maybe that's where this one went?)
i was talking to my friend and we both remember how you could climb in through the nose /air inlet then through the body and out the exhaust exit in the rear (because the engine was removed). this was long before bums started using it as a bathroom.

i also remember early on when you could climb into the cockpit and there was gauges present and a stick untilsomeone started breaking the gauges and they removed the seat and filled the dash with cement.

i remember playing on that as a kid more than the train until the jet was gone, then the train got my attention.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:48 PM

537 posts, read 1,546,047 times
Thanks for the Acquanetta stuff. I remember her as older because I was a kid. I remember her screaming at those red headed kids in her Lincoln. She disappeared after her divorce from Jack and the decline of importance of local tv channels with the coming of cable. She moved on to the paranormal and the harmonica virgins (Harmonic convergence?) in Sedona. My friend that wants the Acqua doll is also a believer in crystals and colors. Oh well. I always do my best to keep a straight face.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:34 PM

38 posts, read 71,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
this was deff in Patriots Park. i have seen the Peoria one (who knows, maybe that's where this one went?)
i was talking to my friend and we both remember how you could climb in through the nose /air inlet then through the body and out the exhaust exit in the rear (because the engine was removed). this was long before bums started using it as a bathroom.

i also remember early on when you could climb into the cockpit and there was gauges present and a stick untilsomeone started breaking the gauges and they removed the seat and filled the dash with cement.

i remember playing on that as a kid more than the train until the jet was gone, then the train got my attention.
I used to play on/in the F-86 at Pioneer Park when I was a kid. At that time the cockpit was cemented in. I have tried to find any pics or info online, but to no avail.

Here's the train: Save the Pioneer Park Train!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 PM

good! now that's another person who remembers the jet.

BTW, i met the guy who is the head of the committee to save the train, i guess his dad was the fire guy on it when it was running.

if anyone has pics of themselves with the train he is collecting them to post on the site.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,237,876 times
There used to be a jet in Chandler's park also. I remember being fascinated by it when I was a kid. My Mom would never let me play in it.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:15 AM

111 posts, read 339,060 times
Does anyone have a picture of Ruth Dunlap (sp?) from Cooks' Corner, the channel 5 tv show of the early 50s, or any information about a tv show(early 50s too) called Cozy Corner, in which a fellow sat in an easy chair and read not-too-famous poems for less than a half hour?
Also, I am trying to remember where the northern city limits in 1950 were--Grand Canal??

Old 07-01-2010, 05:55 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post
Does anyone have a picture of Ruth Dunlap (sp?) from Cooks' Corner, the channel 5 tv show of the early 50s, or any information about a tv show(early 50s too) called Cozy Corner, in which a fellow sat in an easy chair and read not-too-famous poems for less than a half hour?
Also, I am trying to remember where the northern city limits in 1950 were--Grand Canal??
I remember her back about 1952. She was very thin. She once had a cowboy on the show that kept ribbing her about how he was making stew; she didn't look too good when the guy started cutting up guts. When the stew was finished, Ruth wouldn't touch it; the cowboy laughed his head off.

Now I have a question: back in the early 50's there was a tall older man on TV that did nothing but tell professional baseball stories. I think he had white hair, fidgeted a lot and usually sat on the edge of a desk while speaking.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:04 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
There used to be a jet in Chandler's park also. I remember being fascinated by it when I was a kid. My Mom would never let me play in it.
The most famous airplane during the 1940's was the P-38 at the old Phoenix Tech. It was sitting under a large canopy on Fillmore Street near Montgomery Stadium. I would go by it every time I went to Webster's Hobby Shop on Van Buren by Green Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area