Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 02:44 PM

107 posts, read 422,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I was thinking the same thing, gotta keep going until we hit one million views!

Here is an elusive item. I have heard of the lead figurine kids got at Green Gables when they had a birthday. Here is one provided by a friend.

Attachment 113327
That's a pretty neat party favor.
The goofy golf course next to the restaurant also put on birthday parties. I think I recall a big wooden round table (as in King Arthur) that had names of knights, like Sir Galahad and Lancelot, painted at each seat around it. It was built with a keyhole slot so a server could stand in the center and pass out ice cream and cake.

I think I told this story before, but an old boss of mine had worked as a parking valet at GG in the 50s or 60s when he was a teenager, dressed in a green "Merry Men" costume. One night as he was parking a customer's new Cadillac, his pointy green slippers got tangled in the pedals and he smashed into the stone wall that surrounded the lot. Don't remember if he said that was the end of his valet career!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 08:23 AM

283 posts, read 880,347 times
Default Legend City

Here is an 8mm film of Legend City's opening day on June 29th 1963 from YouTube:

Legend city Opening Day - YouTube

Old 06-22-2013, 09:11 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Here is an 8mm film of Legend City's opening day on June 29th 1963 from YouTube:

Legend city Opening Day - YouTube
Very cool. They are doing a presentation on the history of Legend City today at the AZ Historical Museum in Tempe.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,312 times
Default Herb Stevens LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learicalAZ View Post
Herb Stevens Lincoln Mercury became Covey L/M, now Camelback Ford-Lincoln (after they bought out Mel Clayton Ford)
How about Patterson Motors (VW)?
Found this when I Googled Herb Stevens LM. I have an auto repair business downtown Phoenix in the old Herb Stevens Lincoln - Mercury building. 901 N. Central Ave. I'm very curious as to what other info you have or how I might be able to find vintage pictures for an article I'd like to write and even reprint some pictures of the building and hang in various spots in the store. If you have any info, ideas or who I may contact please pass them on, as you appear to be well versed with the Vintage Phoenix auto industry.

Thanks, dan

Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 PM

88 posts, read 273,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imfloyd View Post
Found this when I Googled Herb Stevens LM. I have an auto repair business downtown Phoenix in the old Herb Stevens Lincoln - Mercury building. 901 N. Central Ave. I'm very curious as to what other info you have or how I might be able to find vintage pictures for an article I'd like to write and even reprint some pictures of the building and hang in various spots in the store. If you have any info, ideas or who I may contact please pass them on, as you appear to be well versed with the Vintage Phoenix auto industry.

Thanks, dan
Sorry,Dan, but I can't help you there. I believe it was the mid-late 60's when most of the downtown dealers left for the relative open spaces of East Camelback Road. Still in grade school back!
then.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:45 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I was thinking the same thing, gotta keep going until we hit one million views!

Here is an elusive item. I have heard of the lead figurine kids got at Green Gables when they had a birthday. Here is one provided by a friend.

Attachment 113327
I remember staying with a babysitter when I was a little girl and my parents went to Green Gables for dinner. They brought me one of the lead knights on horseback.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:41 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imfloyd View Post

Thanks, dan
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-jn-lincoln-mercury.jpgHere is the best I can do, a reflection in the window across the street at Norman's Flowers in the KOY building.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:42 AM

218 posts, read 569,897 times
Does anyone remember when the Phoenix shy often had those moving beams of light going back and forth. They could be seen for miles They were arc carbon lamps from the WWII era when they swept the European skies at night searching for enemy aircraft. Large indoor and outdoor theatre projectors used the same type technology. Radar eliminated the need for search lights. In Phoenix they were like a beacon advertising a new business or maybe a big sale at the car lot etc.

They were truck or trailer mounted with a huge DC generator to supply the necessary power to keep the arc burning. A huge parabolic mirror was used to reflect the light and concentrate the beam. I suppose increasing numbers of street lights and other lighting reduced the effectiveness of those huge beams of light as Phoenix grew.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:14 AM

8 posts, read 28,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Hey Badger

I too spent most of my childhood hanging around West Plaza (1960's)
Earlier in this thread I've talked about: Hobby Lobby (Mr Gordon) -TG&Y (PO inside) - AJ Bayless - LLSmith Hardware (everything for HallCraftHomes) - Long Hair Inc. - Tom Tates - etc. Do you remember the radio controlled car track behind the plaza near the old fire station? How about the Valley Nat. Bank in the parking lot? Cow Palace across the street? Rendevous bar? The Jack in the Box next door that sold hot dogs?
Left Catalina Elem area in 1966 for Thomas Road & 16th St. eeek... glad we soon moved to Sunnyslope in time for high school rather than go to Phx Union HS. Moved to Prescott in '68. I thought JINB was next to Gym & Swim in my memory. The Cow Palace was down the road from Sandy's burgers it seems on 35th south of Rose.
I remember Mr Gordon, and his son sometimes behind the counter. I lived in a storybook home on Krall from 1960-1966

Old 07-05-2013, 07:24 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
Does anyone remember when the Phoenix shy often had those moving beams of light going back and forth. They could be seen for miles They were arc carbon lamps from the WWII era when they swept the European skies at night searching for enemy aircraft. Large indoor and outdoor theatre projectors used the same type technology. Radar eliminated the need for search lights. In Phoenix they were like a beacon advertising a new business or maybe a big sale at the car lot etc.

They were truck or trailer mounted with a huge DC generator to supply the necessary power to keep the arc burning. A huge parabolic mirror was used to reflect the light and concentrate the beam. I suppose increasing numbers of street lights and other lighting reduced the effectiveness of those huge beams of light as Phoenix grew.
I remember those in the late 60s - early 70s. Sometimes Dad would take us for a drive just to see what it was. Usually a car lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area